Anyone here played a jag?

Pearl-FighterPearl-Fighter Posts: 46
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I love fender guitars, but i havent played a jag or a mustang before, anyone here played one? What did you think and which one was better in your opinion?
Leave your girlfriend on a cement floor...
Toronto 09/19/05
Toronto 05/09/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    I've never played one either. I have played the Fender Squire Vista Venus, its very easy to play because the neck is shorter and its more narrow at the top, and very light. I've never even held a jag - Fender recently reissued Cobain's "model" - its listed on their site and http://www.jag-stang.com/index.php
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i can't handle the short scale. the neck is too narrow and fat for me and i don't like the fret spacing and lack of string tension.

but that's a personal thing. both the jag and mustang have quirks with their bridges. the mustang is notorious for unstable tuning and people usually end up switching bridges. cobains bridges were all aftermarket units. the jag-stang has just the normal mustang bridge because fender cheaped out.
  • Ya, i knew they re-issued cobain's jagstang. Still, i've been curious about the mustang and jaguar. Thanks though.
    Toronto 09/19/05
    Toronto 05/09/06
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I may be completely wrong, but I don't believe Kurt ever really played a Jag-Stang.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    i dont think so either. I think he dropped off the design for it in January 94, he died in april so that doesnt seem to be possible. who knows, i cant really tell you
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    Anyone who is curious about Kurt's stuff...

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Pretty good info in there.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by djyman15
    i dont think so either. I think he dropped off the design for it in January 94, he died in april so that doesnt seem to be possible. who knows, i cant really tell you

yes. he did on the last tour. he had two prototypes.
  • Ya. Kurt played a jag-stang on the last tour. There was an interview done with kurt in his home and during the interivew the interviewee noticed the prototype in the corner of the room. When kurt tested it out, he wrote the suggestions he had for a final model directly on the guitar itself in marker and sent it back. He used the jag-stang for the final tour and, well...u know the rest. Just some info!
    Toronto 09/19/05
    Toronto 05/09/06
    "'Kurt requested two guitars' says Mark Wittenberg, 'one in
    Solid Blue and one in Fiesta Red.' The blue instrument was
    delivered to Cobain, who used it on Nirvana's 1993 tour. 'We
    were just finishing the Fiesta Red one,' Wittenberg continues. 'In
    fact, we were literally ready to deliver it when we received
    word of his death.' The red guitar has been earmarked for the
    Fender museum which is being planned."

The "Jag-stang" was seen starting in mid-to-late 1993 although Kurt rarely played it. A reviewer for Guitar Shop saw a "cross between the Jaguar and Mustang, the Jag-stang features a sonic blue Jag body with white pickguard and Mustang bridge." The Jag-stang was available to the public for a short time, but isn't wasn't as Kurt intended it to be. Kurt didn't even like the Jagstang that much when he received it. He forgot to have Fender do the contours for the arm and the stomach. It was as thick as a Telecaster and rather misbalanced. He wouldn't even play it for the (first?) month he had it. It was also tough to set up. Earnie immediately changed the pickups, putting a Duncan JB in the bridge. As previously stated, he installed a Tune-O-Matic bridge on it. Kurt had trouble with the Mustang's slider switches, which oddly appeared on the Jag-stang, but not on the Ferrington. Earnie's also puzzled as to how the Jag-stang wound up with a Mustang tremolo and bridge. "Kurt was funny, with both the Jag-stang and the Ferrington, he was very excited when he received them, but soon he found things about both that he overlooked or wanted to change." He had also talked with Kurt about re-shaping the body for a more traditional Fender look. Earnie told Mark Wittenberg about these changes (also, the fitted bridge). Mark was interested in the changes, but he passed away, as well. So Fender released that Jag-Stang in the way Kurt had received it. Kurt eventually became comfortable enough to use his Jag-Stang on rare occaions for a whole show. Courtney gave the Jag-Stang to Peter Buck after Kurt passed away. He played it in the "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" music video, and Mike Mills plays it live on "Let Me In".

**Earnie was Kurt's guitar tech, and Mark was the Fender builder who made the Jag-Stang prototypes and Kurt's personal models.**
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I know a guy that has a 65 jag all orginal that's pretty cool. I'd like to talk him out of it, but I don't think I'm going to. I personally like the shorter scale. I've considered buying a Cyclone partly because of this.