Top 10 Guitar Tandems - Guitar One Magazine - Oct 04 Issue

solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Pretty cool stuff.... Mike and Stone are #7 on their list. Not bad.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Care to give us the top 10? :rolleyes:
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • They put Mike & Stone together? Boy bet that could cause arguements :)

OK!! Didnt read that topic name right lol!

TAXI!!!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Originally posted by pariah
    Care to give us the top 10? :rolleyes:

Yep...

10. Thin Lizzy. Brian Robertson/Scott Gorham
    9. Iron Maiden. Dave Murray/Adrian Smith
    8. Television. Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd
    7. Pearl Jam. Mike/Stone
    6. GNR. Slash/Izzy Stradlin
    5. Judas Priest. Glen Tipton/K.K. Downing
    4. Aerosmith. Joe Perry/Brad Whitford
    3. AC/DC. Angus Young/Malcolm Young
    2. Allman Bros. Duane Allman/Dickey Betts
    1. Rolling Stones. Keith Richards/Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood.

I would think this is a little controversial as Mike and Stone aren't really known for their chops or musicianship but I think their tone the way they work together really stands out. To me, the Allman Brothers have this title... they are unbelievable musicians.
  • Hmm

Were Robert Fripp/ Adrian Belew mentioned? They're friggin amazing and as technical guitarists, probably the best out there!

Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood are pretty unbelievable, if you've ever seen them intertwine their guitarwork.

I agree that Duane Allman and Dickey Betts were totally linked together. They had the longest, coolest ends to songs on the Live at the Fillmore and Eat a Peach. I wore out quite a few copies of both of those albums. The song endings were longer than the songs!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

whoa thanks... don't really like the list ('cept PJ and the stones) but I can't come up with anytrhing better, so i'll just shut up.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    Originally posted by who's_pearljam?
    Hmm

Were Robert Fripp/ Adrian Belew mentioned? They're friggin amazing and as technical guitarists, probably the best out there!

Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood are pretty unbelievable, if you've ever seen them intertwine their guitarwork.

I agree that Duane Allman and Dickey Betts were totally linked together. They had the longest, coolest ends to songs on the Live at the Fillmore and Eat a Peach. I wore out quite a few copies of both of those albums. The song endings were longer than the songs!:D

It's good to see Stone and Mike get some recognition but I would be a little hesitant myself in putting them in such a list. As much as I love PJ (hardcore fan since '92), they aren't exactly the dualing guitarists like some of those guys on the list. It's actually kinda neat to see a straight-ahead rhythm/lead tandem get some props but I would usually associate a good tandem on their abilities to truly jam and improvise together. With Stone and Mike, it's pretty predicatable but that isn't a problem for me! :-)
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    No Corgan and Iha, pumpkins get screwed again
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by djyman15
    No Corgan and Iha, pumpkins get screwed again

Yep, they sure did. Not many Iha fans around which probablt explains it.

I can't do much better with my own list, so it works for me.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • i would have include hammet and hetfield in my top 10
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by dreadhead
    i would have include hammet and hetfield in my top 10

I'd actually go for that...

I think the point of this is the ability to play off of each other and to intertwine... anticipate...

In that respect, I think Stone and Mike are a great example. Those guys are the furthest apart on stage, but they sure are on the same wavelength.

I have to say, though, that Allman/Betts should be #1. I mean, come on...

I was happy to see the brothers Young on that list... they were the first pair I thought of when I saw this thread. I know I'm a minority for being a fan of AC/DC in this forum, but still... it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by dreadhead
    i would have include hammet and hetfield in my top 10

Absolutely. I saw them in another list for top metal guitarists too.