Ok after my 2nd guitar lesson I have a question..

Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm working on moving the C-A-G-E-D chords...my question is...sometimes it's fucking killing my wrist. My teacher says to lower my wrist and too loosen it up. But that's..atleast for me..a serious fucking struggle when say I move the C chord up a step and have to use my 1 finger to close off.

Is this just my hand/wrist not being strong enough yet?

On a good note..my calluses are coming in nicely. ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's just a strength thing. It will get easier and easier every time you play. Eventually it will just be second nature.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    It's just a strength thing. It will get easier and easier every time you play. Eventually it will just be second nature.

Ok cool..that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
  • One day out of no where your going to say to yourself, wait a minute, my wrist doesn't hurt, my finger tips don't hurt. And go "when did that happen".
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    It's just a rite of passage. Wait until you have to play a bar F chord- that's a bitch. Remember that most of the time your thumb will be on the opposite side of the neck so try to push with that as well as with your fingers, like you're "grabbing" it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Novawind wrote:
    It's just a rite of passage. Wait until you have to play a bar F chord- that's a bitch. Remember that most of the time your thumb will be on the opposite side of the neck so try to push with that as well as with your fingers, like you're "grabbing" it.

really? my teacher was telling me to not use my thumb and completely relax my hand/wrist b/c as he put it, "I was trying to not drop the guitar and gripping too hard."

He also said, "the relaxation of the hand is almost zen like." I chuckled a little inside at that.

I guess I need to just keep pounding away at it.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    It also depends on what kind of tension you have on your strings. If they're high tension/really hard to press, your thumb becomes necessity. If you're on a guitar with really low tensions, ie the strings are an 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch from the fingerboard and you have no trouble pressing, then your "zen relaxation" will probably do fine. If you keep feeling wrist/finger pain after about two weeks then it's a sign that something needs to change. For now though it's only natural that you're feeling discomfort.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1