Beginner guitar question

Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I started back in March and am to the point where I can get lost in a jam for about 2 hours or so..my question is..is pain and stiffness in my index finger a normal thing?

Now, I don't feel pain while playing (except where my calouses aren't tough enough, but no big deal there). Every morning when I wake up, my index finger will not bend w/o extreme pain. It loosens up quickly though. But if I sleep..it's a real bitch. Also, my knuckles are sensitive to the touch..for example, if I knock on a door with my left hand, I feel it in my knuckles.

Is this normal? I figured the pain/tendernous of the tips of my fingers would be, but I'm over that...had no idea the joints in my fingers would hurt. Thanks..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Drew263 wrote:
    Ok, I started back in March and am to the point where I can get lost in a jam for about 2 hours or so..my question is..is pain and stiffness in my index finger a normal thing?

Now, I don't feel pain while playing (except where my calouses aren't tough enough, but no big deal there). Every morning when I wake up, my index finger will not bend w/o extreme pain. It loosens up quickly though. But if I sleep..it's a real bitch. Also, my knuckles are sensitive to the touch..for example, if I knock on a door with my left hand, I feel it in my knuckles.

Is this normal? I figured the pain/tendernous of the tips of my fingers would be, but I'm over that...had no idea the joints in my fingers would hurt. Thanks..

When I started playing I had all kinds of weird stuff going on in my fretting hand. I had cramping, string pain (obviously at first), wrist pain, I had what felt like a piece of metal in a finger that went away after a week or so, my ring finger felt funky from time to time. It all went away after a month of so of constant play. That stuff happens. If you keep playing and it doesn't go away I'd recommend getting it checked out.