Custom built guitar question

Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok first let me start by saying I've only been playing for 10 months. I currently own an Epi LP Standard. I have two guitars that I really want..

A Gibson Goldtop LP (60s series neck) and an American Strat

Here's the question..I have a friend that has been playing a long time who also builds guitars. He tells me that he can build me a LP or a Strat for $500 and $400 respectively that will be identical to what I would buy. I just have to pick out the pickups, tuners, etc.

So do any of you have experience in this kinda thing? Can individuals build a guitar with equivalent quality? I'm a little hesitant, which is why i'm asking you guys.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Drew263 wrote:
    Ok first let me start by saying I've only been playing for 10 months. I currently own an Epi LP Standard. I have two guitars that I really want..

A Gibson Goldtop LP (60s series neck) and an American Strat

Here's the question..I have a friend that has been playing a long time who also builds guitars. He tells me that he can build me a LP or a Strat for $500 and $400 respectively that will be identical to what I would buy. I just have to pick out the pickups, tuners, etc.

So do any of you have experience in this kinda thing? Can individuals build a guitar with equivalent quality? I'm a little hesitant, which is why i'm asking you guys.

Have you played any of his guitars?
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    sennin wrote:
    Have you played any of his guitars?

No..going to this sunday.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    A fully homebuilt guitar will have about as much resale value as a used atomic bomb.
    On the other hand, you can actually buy the necessary pieces from e-bay to assemble a strat for from between $500 and $800, depending on what specification you go for. They come from brand new factory built guitars that have been dissasembled. Do a seaech under "Loaded pickguards", and you will find the e-bay shops that do this stuff.
    I can get all the bits to make a deluxe american strat, delivered here in Australia for about $1100 Australian, I have a friend who did about 4-5 of tehm, tehn sold tehm on e-bay here. You can even buy the case candy.
    This is more likely what your friend is doing. You can't do the same thing with a Les PAul though, cos teh necks are set, not bolt on etc.
    Music is not a competetion.
    A fully homebuilt guitar will have about as much resale value as a used atomic bomb.
    On the other hand, you can actually buy the necessary pieces from e-bay to assemble a strat for from between $500 and $800, depending on what specification you go for. They come from brand new factory built guitars that have been dissasembled. Do a seaech under "Loaded pickguards", and you will find the e-bay shops that do this stuff.
    I can get all the bits to make a deluxe american strat, delivered here in Australia for about $1100 Australian, I have a friend who did about 4-5 of tehm, tehn sold tehm on e-bay here. You can even buy the case candy.
    This is more likely what your friend is doing. You can't do the same thing with a Les PAul though, cos teh necks are set, not bolt on etc.

So basically what you're saying is..if I want a Goldtop I need to start saving some $$? :)
    Drew263 wrote:
    So basically what you're saying is..if I want a Goldtop I need to start saving some $$? :)

Yeah, I would say that. I'm not saying that no-one ever builds a nice guitar at home though. I have seen some nice insdtruments built by hobby luthiers, but if you consider that people will barely look at a JApanese or Mexican Fender, then a no-name one is going to struggle.
    Of course, I think doing things purely for yourself wihout worrying about re-sale etc is a great thing, but.............., given that teh savings aren't that great, why would you bother.
    It kinda also depends on where you are in life. If you are young and skint, then starting with a more entry level thing, wiht view to upgrade in the future is a great idea. I am more at the other end, over 40, established career, and don't really want anything other than keepers, and can afford to wait for and then pay, for the right thing.
    BTW, I LOVE Les Pauls, and think they are worth every single cent you pay for them. The aesthetic and the pleasure of owning a bit of history is part of the deal. Don't let anyone tell you that looks and feel and fulfillment of desire don't count.
    Music is all about passion and emotion and sensuality and the beauty of the guitars is part of that.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    man...the tonewoods alone could cost $400-500. I dunno. Unless your friend is cutting you a massive deal, I'd be very cautious.
    Yeah, I would say that. I'm not saying that no-one ever builds a nice guitar at home though. I have seen some nice insdtruments built by hobby luthiers, but if you consider that people will barely look at a JApanese or Mexican Fender, then a no-name one is going to struggle.
    Of course, I think doing things purely for yourself wihout worrying about re-sale etc is a great thing, but.............., given that teh savings aren't that great, why would you bother.
    It kinda also depends on where you are in life. If you are young and skint, then starting with a more entry level thing, wiht view to upgrade in the future is a great idea. I am more at the other end, over 40, established career, and don't really want anything other than keepers, and can afford to wait for and then pay, for the right thing.
    BTW, I LOVE Les Pauls, and think they are worth every single cent you pay for them. The aesthetic and the pleasure of owning a bit of history is part of the deal. Don't let anyone tell you that looks and feel and fulfillment of desire don't count.
    Music is all about passion and emotion and sensuality and the beauty of the guitars is part of that.

Good, b/c that is what I felt about this all along. He's just a nice guy so I listened...I'm 33 and have the career thing going, so I could buy this one particuliar Goldtop that I want, but I'm going to save a little before I do to make it easier on me. I've got an Epi LP Standard now and since I'm still a beginner, it's fine. But after my lessons each week, I go in and play that guitar and I'm in love with it. It just feels right
    Drew263 wrote:
    Good, b/c that is what I felt about this all along. He's just a nice guy so I listened...I'm 33 and have the career thing going, so I could buy this one particuliar Goldtop that I want, but I'm going to save a little before I do to make it easier on me. I've got an Epi LP Standard now and since I'm still a beginner, it's fine. But after my lessons each week, I go in and play that guitar and I'm in love with it. It just feels right

Perfect !!!!! I adore my Les Paul like it is a living thing, and I bought it because it was the right one for me. I really think that you should buy the one you fall in love with, and it sounds like you have found yours.
    Even as a beginner, your playing will sound better with a nicer instrument, and it is a huge inspiration to have something beautiful that you treasure to practise basic scales on. Now you just need to develop a hopeless passion for tube amps and you will be lost to sanity forever.