How can I fix this?

Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Last night while changing strings on my LP, somehow the saddle for the G string moved and now the G,B,& E strings are higher than the E(low), A, & D strings. I tried to adjust the saddles and the bridge and I think got it close, but it's still not exact.

Should I just take it to the local place and get a setup done on it? Guitar maintenance is my weakness at this point.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drew263 wrote:
    Last night while changing strings on my LP, somehow the saddle for the G string moved and now the G,B,& E strings are higher than the E(low), A, & D strings. I tried to adjust the saddles and the bridge and I think got it close, but it's still not exact.

Should I just take it to the local place and get a setup done on it? Guitar maintenance is my weakness at this point.

I dont' know how you go with italian, I hope the pictures help.

http://www.guitarmigi.it/completo/completo_fender.aspx#trussrod
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • I dont' know how you go with italian, I hope the pictures help.

http://www.guitarmigi.it/completo/completo_fender.aspx#trussrod

maybe that only works for strato... sorry
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    get the strings up until there is no buzzing when the guitar is in standard tuning. then, with a chromatic tuner, check each string when fretted at the 12th fret. then, check each string's 12th fret harmonic. the difference between 12th fret and the 12th fret harmonic should be almost unnoticeable.

the string has to be sharpened or flattened depending on if the 12th fret harmonic is more flat or more sharp than the 12th fret. once the strings are tuned with no buzzing and the 12th frets and 12th harmonics match as closely as they can, the guitar is then properly intonated. so it really doesn't matter how high or low the strings are as long as it plays how you want it to when it's intonated.

also, I don't think the strings on an LP are even anyway because of the shape of the fretboard.