Good Amp Heads

lt_danglelt_dangle Posts: 6
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My first post, long time PJ fan...but I registered because the people here seem very knowledgeable. Anyway, I have decided to upgrade from my line 6 spider to a amp head and cab. I was wondering if anybody had any reccomendations for amp heads in the $300-$500 range. Is tube the only way to go?...or are there some good solid states out there? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    You'll get about a 95% tube-biased crowd here...

I have a Sovtek Mig, and it is quite possibly the best tube amp in the price range you listed. An older Fender Bassman should be in that price range, too. I'm more of a Fender guy than anything else, though...

The only amp from Marshall that I'd touch would be the JCM 800 head (2205).

Does your price range include the price of a cabinet? Or do you have a separate budget for that? (or do you already have one?)

If you could find a Peavey Classic 50 head, those are pretty damn good, too. Especially if you want a two-channel head (one with a separate distortion channel).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • lt_danglelt_dangle Posts: 6
    My price range there is for the head only. Sorry I didn't clear that up. Any other suggestions would be helpful, thanks again. Also, how long do tubes last/ how much to replace them?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Tube life depends on how often, and for how long, you play. If you play fairly regularly, you can count on replacing power tubes every 12-18 months, and preamp tubes every 24-36 months.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.