Marshall halfstack

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, I just got a Marshall halfstack, the JCM2000 head with the 1960a cab. I love the way it sounds. After buying and selling amps a number of times, I finally think I'm happy with this amp. I just think the distortion is a tad muddy, or something. I tried the zak wylde overdrive pedal with it, and that made it sound too thin. Anyone have any suggestions on a pedal that may sound good with this amp? Your help is much appreciated.
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey, I just got a Marshall halfstack, the JCM2000 head with the 1960a cab. I love the way it sounds. After buying and selling amps a number of times, I finally think I'm happy with this amp. I just think the distortion is a tad muddy, or something. I tried the zak wylde overdrive pedal with it, and that made it sound too thin. Anyone have any suggestions on a pedal that may sound good with this amp? Your help is much appreciated.

keep it classic. Ibanez Tubescreamer, great overdrive, great price, and fairly flexible between amps and guitars.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you want to clear up the mud, try an eq pedal. You can use it as a bosst too...a nifty trick that ends up sounding pretty good most of the time.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I have a JCM900 with a Marshall 4x12 cab, which I also think is the best amp I have ever bought. I use a digitec RP200 to get my distortion and I think it sounds great.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    Depends what type of distortion your looking for. If ya wana more metal tone then use the eq pedal as suggested already and im sure the amps distortion will be fine. But if your looking for a more classic rock led zep or pj type sound then use the Tube screamer as mentioned above. And make sure ya get an original (try ebay) or a decent re-issue.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • I have an ibanez ts 808 with an analogman true vintage mod and also a foxrox zim overdrive and i love the tone!!1 Great for bluesey sounds. There is also a web site called http://www.tonesettings.com that may be able to help you out with some different settings for your head. Enjoy!!!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • do you have the tsl or dsl? i have a dsl100 and my setup is guitar--->tuner--->amp....you shouldn't need a pedal to get a nice thick overdrive...don't get too crazy with the gain because you'll lose a lot of your clarity...i keep mine around 2 or 3 on ultra lead 2 and its thick but still has all the clarity i need so you can hear every note...and thats plenty of gain for my bands stuff (metal/hard rock) and for the covers we do (dream theater, metallica, AIC, c&c, deftones, etc...) also i find the deep switch and tone shift buttons to be completely useless...but what are your settings?