how loud is loud enough?

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is a 100 watt amp loud enough for jamming and playing live?
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Tube, hybrid, or solid state?

But the short answer, regardless, is yes. Maybe too loud.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Good god man.
    just remember the 100watt tube amp was basically Pete Townshend's way of saying "Dude, i'm already deaf from playing SO LOUD, and i want to hear my instrument again."

YES. 100 tube amps is LOUD AS ALL GET OUT.
    REAL LOUD.

REAL REAL REAL LOUD.

So loud i've never turned it past volume 4 ...
    and volume 4 was a BIG stretch ...
    and that was through 2 12's not 4
    so god only knows what a half or full stack would sound like.

Watchout.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    soundman - if you have to ask you're too loud all ready

guitar player - what?

Tom Morello plays arenas with a 50 watt head.

We live in the age of microphones, if you want you can play with 15 watts.

it's more of a tone deal than anything. A watt is a watt is a watt. Ratings are what's different. Tube amps of the same rating sound almost twice as loud because most are rated at nominal power or before distortion. Solid state amps don't exactly work in the same fashion.

100 watts is too loud to play just about any inside venue save MSG or other large arenas.

This is not to say people don't do it but generally guitarists will buy them because of the great headroom and nice tone, then they waste half of it by keeping it turned down the whole time, or you can purchase a nice attenuator (around 300 bucks)

Depending on the sound you are going for 15-50 watts is a great range to shoot for to play most bars. It won't hurt you to have more, but your audience may be turned off because they can't hear themselves think.

It just depends on the tone you are looking for.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    Easily enough :D 50 Watt head has always done the biz for me!!
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    soundman - if you have to ask you're too loud all ready

guitar player - what?

Tom Morello plays arenas with a 50 watt head.

We live in the age of microphones, if you want you can play with 15 watts.

it's more of a tone deal than anything. A watt is a watt is a watt. Ratings are what's different. Tube amps of the same rating sound almost twice as loud because most are rated at nominal power or before distortion. Solid state amps don't exactly work in the same fashion.

100 watts is too loud to play just about any inside venue save MSG or other large arenas.

This is not to say people don't do it but generally guitarists will buy them because of the great headroom and nice tone, then they waste half of it by keeping it turned down the whole time, or you can purchase a nice attenuator (around 300 bucks)

Depending on the sound you are going for 15-50 watts is a great range to shoot for to play most bars. It won't hurt you to have more, but your audience may be turned off because they can't hear themselves think.

It just depends on the tone you are looking for.

This could possible be the best answer I've ever read on this board. I can understand that you want to be able to hear yourself at a practice with no P.A. but it seems like the art of "Tone" has been lost. Brand, watts etc. just don't matter. Tone is the single most important thing. Who cares what the brand is, now loud it is and who else plays it!

Hail to a great "Tone"
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    To play devil's advocate...

A 100 watt solid-state amp is just about right. Or 100 watt hybrid amp with a solid-state power amp.
    To play devil's advocate...

A 100 watt solid-state amp is just about right. Or 100 watt hybrid amp with a solid-state power amp.

Or 550 watts MH "This one goes to 14"

ZING!!!!!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Or 550 watts MH "This one goes to 14"

Keep in mind, that's at 2 ohms. You're a whisker away from a short circuit at 2 ohms.
    Keep in mind, that's at 2 ohms. You're a whisker away from a short circuit at 2 ohms.

yeah but you're a whisker away from a short circuit to buy a 550 watt amp anyway. :D

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2282000000

I mean, come on you can't just run that thing with only ONE cabinet! and a measley 400 watts....
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I mean, come on you can't just run that thing with only ONE cabinet! and a measley 400 watts....

The only question I have is, can you switch the "Suck" channel off?

Give me a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb any day.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Or 100 watt hybrid amp with a solid-state power amp.

For example Laney TF700 + 4x12" Cabinet or TF320 2x12" combo. Hybrid amps with 120watts of power. Both are loud enough for practice and venues without a PA for guitars. Also because they are hybrid you can turn them down and keep your tone for those gigs with a PA to handle guitars...I think just about every gig I have been to in Aberdeen has featured a TF laney at some point or another in the show.

The guitarist in my other band uses a JCM2000 DSL50watt all tube head with a JCM800 4x12" cabinet...at practices it's far too loud to get a decent distortion tone without massive amount of volume.

So answer: 100watt is enough if it's solid or hybrid. If it's valve you might want to look at 50watt and below.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah but you're a whisker away from a short circuit to buy a 550 watt amp anyway. :D

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2282000000

Pffft 550watts...you guitarists...come back when you crack four figures...
    Tav wrote:
    Pffft 550watts...you guitarists...come back when you crack four figures...

http://www.ts808.com go to vintage collection and hiwatt/slaves.

or from the web....

Yngwie Malmsteen's 1980s Setup
    When he was helping us compile this equipment list, Yngwie said he prefers the vintage Mark II Marshalls for their warm tube sound that's never screechy. He's been using them for the last fifteen years, and loves their warm sustaining tone.
    Up to 24 Marshall Mark II 50-watt heads (vintage 1971)
    Up to 27 Marshall 4x12 cabinets with Celestion G12 30-watt speakers
    Basic onstage setup:
    * 12 cabinets on stage right
    * 12 on stage left
    * 3 cabinets under the drum riser
    Splitter box: all amps are plugged into the splitter, then fed to the speakers as needed.
    Bob Bradshaw effects rack:
    * Korg KMX-62 six-channel mixer
    * two Korg SDD 2000 digital delays
    * Hush II-C noise reduction unit
    * Boss octave divider
    * Furman PL-8 light module
    * Marshall 400-watt power amp, model 6040
    Floor units:
    * Moog Taurus synthesizer bass pedals
    * Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah-wah
    * Vox flanger (vintage 1970's)
    Warmup amps: two Crate XL's with Celestion 70-watt speakers
    Wireless: Samson wireless unit
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.ts808.comYngwie Malmsteen's 1980s Setup

Tony Iommi's 2001 setup with Sabbath was pretty impressive, too:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/476/