question about new amp

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys. I just bought a Fender '59 Bassman 50 watt tube amp(it's my first tube amp), and was wondering what's the difference between the bright input and the normal, and which one should I use, or does it matter. And also, for a distortion pedal should I buy a Boss DS1, or does anyone have a suggestion of a cheap, nice sounding pedal. Right now I have a Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal and I'm not too into the sound. I play mostly punk rock and things of that nature, and have dreams of one day being in a psychobilly band.

Thanks for the help
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The bright channel will give you a more brilliant sound than the normal channel. You should use whichevver one sounds better to you. If it was a 4-holer, you could jumper the inputs (like I do on old Marshalls and Hiwatts) and then blend the two together...even though it's a single channel amp.

As for the Boss, someone else will have to help you out with that one. If I were you, I'd save for a Keeley modded Rat. :)
  • enharmonic wrote:
    The bright channel will give you a more brilliant sound than the normal channel. You should use whichevver one sounds better to you. If it was a 4-holer, you could jumper the inputs (like I do on old Marshalls and Hiwatts) and then blend the two together...even though it's a single channel amp.

As for the Boss, someone else will have to help you out with that one. If I were you, I'd save for a Keeley modded Rat. :)

Hey Enharmonic, can you explain a little about jumping the inputs together?
    is it a mod that needs to be done by a tech?

what will it do to my amp & sound? is it worth doing?

i have an old carlsbro thats a 4 holer.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    friends don't let friends buy DS-1s.

you just dropped a shitload on the amp. don't cheap out on the pedal.

the rat is a good suggestion but there are millions of options.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Sell the hothead, and the DS1. and start shopping. The keeley rat is a great suggestion. Even better if you throw some kind of boost before it.

Two Cascaded OD's work well in that amp for that sound too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhausted wrote:
    friends don't let friends buy DS-1s.

you just dropped a shitload on the amp. don't cheap out on the pedal.

the rat is a good suggestion but there are millions of options.

I did just drop a shitload on the amp, and that's why I need a cheap pedal hehe.

I'll check out you guys suggestions though, and thanks again
    Walking is still honest
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I did just drop a shitload on the amp, and that's why I need a cheap pedal hehe.

I'll check out you guys suggestions though, and thanks again

you could get them modded fairly inexpensively.

for fun, watch all the videos at http://www.zvex.com it's way out of your price range, but you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about from the Super Duper 2 in 1.

http://www.zvex.com/super.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Spook Fish wrote:
    Hey Enharmonic, can you explain a little about jumping the inputs together?
    is it a mod that needs to be done by a tech?

what will it do to my amp & sound? is it worth doing?

i have an old carlsbro thats a 4 holer.

I'm not familiar with that amp, but you don't need a tech to jumper the channels of a Marshall or Hiwatt. You take a small 1/4 inch patch cord...like one you'd use between effects, and plug it into the left bottom input, and the top right input. You then plug your guitar into the bottom right input, and adjust both volumes to taste on the amp. :)