recording on computer part 2

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I asked not too long ago if I there was any free software to record myself on the computer with. Someone gave me a link, but that software doesn't work with windows xp :( . So, any other suggestions, or maybe even something I could buy?
Your help would be much appreciated.
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My husband just bought Magix Audio Studio to record his music on the computer. He got it at Best Buy for $80. It's pretty cool. It takes a little getting used to but it has alot of cool effects and instruments you can add along with your stuff.
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • there are plenty of programs to record with on xp.depending on your sound card you can use q bass,cakewalk and a bunch more. i personally have a creative sound blaster audigy2z5 sound card(200 bucks). it has a recording console built in and in puts for firewire,headphones,mic's,spdif, optical and other line in's. you will need a interface to plug into then plug into the sound card.you will spend a little money but its not overwhelming.you can go cheaper but the quality suffers.if money is an issue you can acomplish a recording with a cheaper sound card but when you see how cool the audigy is you will want it. hope this helps.
    Anthony
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    Audacity!!! Its nice and free! http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I have xp and it works fine on our computer
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    wish i knew this before i droppped $80 on sony acid studio. oh well. anyone know a good way to plug say an electric guitar into computer to record?
    are those 'firebox' things the only way?( usb)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • elstongunn wrote:
    anyone know a good way to plug say an electric guitar into computer to record?

check out Line6's Guitarport. Roughly $250 CAD, but worth every penny, imo.

http://www.line6.com/guitarport/
    <º))))><_.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·.

Montreal 98
    WPB I & II 00
    Montreal,Toronto 00
    Montreal 03
    Montreal 05
    Toronto 06

"Enjoy the water" - EV 2005-09-15, as we shook hands.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    cant you just go

Start>All Programs>Acessories>entertain ment >recorder

?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    elstongunn wrote:
    wish i knew this before i droppped $80 on sony acid studio. oh well. anyone know a good way to plug say an electric guitar into computer to record?

For 15 bucks you can buy a 1/4 into 1/8 plug. They sell em at every Apple Store for Guitars. It works fantastic and frees up the usb ports.

here is a newer one:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6084001/wo/2Z3v2PDyqfhd2TRooSF2Z8dP2rt/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3
    it is 25 bucks!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I BrisK I wrote:
    cant you just go

Start>All Programs>Acessories>entertain ment >recorder

?

That's what I did today :D and what I do ALL THE TIME for that matter... :p lol. But it's recording just to check my progress on the guitar and to hear how I sound, see what I'm doing wrong, etc.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • i've been using cakewalk - plenty of power and VERY cheap.

here's a 311 cover recorded mostly with cakewalk and audacity...all pc, and all .mp3 sourced...i'm on vocals (lows) and 3 other 311 fans from around the country layed down the rest:

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0DXR5A5A7YBZ14U840ENNKUZM

now, if only i could find someone to do some PJ covers with...

HINT HINT HINT!

-t.