question about amp

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, I have a stupid question about my amp. I have a fender '59 bassman(it's my first tube amp), and was wondering how the hell does the whole standby switch thing work, and what's it for, etc. etc. Everytime I get done playing my tubes are hot as hell. Do I play with both switches on, or what? Thanks for answering my retarded questions :)
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The standby should be used when you first power up the amp. I power up for at least 10 minutes before throwing the standby to "on". You should also use the Standby again when powering down. I usually throw the standby, wait about 30 seconds-a minute, and then throw the power. It will extend the life of your tubes, and trannies.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    ^ Yup!
    When you start, just turn on the stand by switch for a minute or so, then turn the main switch on. Both switches are on when you're playing.
    When you're done playing, turn the main switch off and let the standby switch stay on for a minute or so, then shut it off. If you're just taking a break for a while, leave the standby on while you're running to the store. :D
    The standby switch runs a small amount of power to the tubes so they warm up a little bit before you throw the main power. They DO get hot when you play, so it you set it on standby for a minute or so, they cool off a bit, but not too fast, then you can turn the whole thing off.

It's the temperature changes that can stress the glass and elements in the tubes, so a gentler warm up and cool down is better.
    Moving the amp when the tubes are hot isn't a great idea, either. They are much more delicate when they're hot!

Great amp by the way! Enjoy it!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    When you're done playing, turn the main switch off and let the standby switch stay on for a minute or so, then shut it off. If you're just taking a break for a while, leave the standby on while you're running to the store. :D
    The standby switch runs a small amount of power to the tubes so they warm up a little bit before you throw the main power. They DO get hot when you play, so it you set it on standby for a minute or so, they cool off a bit, but not too fast, then you can turn the whole thing off.

It's the temperature changes that can stress the glass and elements in the tubes, so a gentler warm up and cool down is better.
    Moving the amp when the tubes are hot isn't a great idea, either. They are much more delicate when they're hot!

Great amp by the way! Enjoy it!

and it gives you time and an excuse to get a beer. :D.

Standby saves mucho expense by being kind to tubes and OT's. You never know how valuable an OT is until you break one. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.