Recording at Home

Hi -

I'm a novice guitar acoustic player interested in recording some songs at home. Just as hobby.

I have no idea what equipment should be used or even how to go about using. Wondering if anyone can recommend anything to get started. I think it would be a lot of fun to mess around with.

What I'm interested in knowing:

-cost involved
-brands/equipment and their degree of difficulty in terms of use

Please advise! Im looking forward to hearing some ideas from you all.
COWABUNGA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    http://homerecording.com/

there's a lot of good info there.

i started with a tascam 4-track cassette recorder and a couple of simple mics but there are so many more options now.

if you have a fast computer, even a computer based program may be a good option.
  • This site looks like it has tonnes of useful info! Thank you for that!

However others please offer your input as well on account of my dislike for doing research. Just the facts. :)
    COWABUNGA
  • SchmaktSchmakt Posts: 207
    Do you have a computer available to use for recording?
    I got the MBox2 Mini for a little under $300. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. Dual-Track and Playback while recording. It comes with a version of ProTools, which is fantastic.

One caveat... if you're using Vista, ProTools isn't going to work... The Vista version was supposed to be out in the fall, but the release date is now supposed to be this winter.

Before I got the MBox, I used the free software called Audacity. Functionality was good (very similar to ProTools), but I had some problems with the tracks not syncing up automatically. It was still the best thing I found for free tho.

Hope that helps a little bit too :)
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Schmakt wrote:
    Do you have a computer available to use for recording?
    I got the MBox2 Mini for a little under $300. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. Dual-Track and Playback while recording. It comes with a version of ProTools, which is fantastic.

One caveat... if you're using Vista, ProTools isn't going to work... The Vista version was supposed to be out in the fall, but the release date is now supposed to be this winter.

Before I got the MBox, I used the free software called Audacity. Functionality was good (very similar to ProTools), but I had some problems with the tracks not syncing up automatically. It was still the best thing I found for free tho.

Hope that helps a little bit too :)

what do you use to record directrly into the computer? i have a simple little computer mic, and i just record myself playing out of my amp. i know there must be a clearer way though.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I was at best buy and I couldn't find anything that looked like it would let me plug my guitar into my sound card... surely they exist - or should i be picking up a mic?
    COWABUNGA
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I was at best buy and I couldn't find anything that looked like it would let me plug my guitar into my sound card... surely they exist - or should i be picking up a mic?

You're not going to find what you need at Best Buy.. Do you have a Guitar Center near you? If not you can always order online. Check this stuff out. It's what you'll need:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound---Recording-Cards-Computer-Hardware.gc

At a glance, that Line 6 one at the bottom looks decent. I don't know much about this recording method so do some research. Good luck!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • for right now i just use a 1 track sony voice recorder and do everything live. then take a "line in" from the recorder to the computer and record it using the program audicity (mentioned before) it's not the best quality but it works. i think it's better than having to sit at the computer and record but, whatever suits you. you can buy a 1 track tape recorder for probably less than 15 bucks. i got mine free because my girlfriend bought it at a yard sale (laugh) for like 3 dollars.

listen to 3 of the tracks i did on it at myspace. http://www.myspace.com/yield1914. two of the songs are done with a crappy acoustic guitar and 1 is done on electric.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • I'm looking into a setup as well. My friend suggested I get this 4 channel mixer: http://www.music123.com/Nady-MM-141-4-Channel-Mini-Mixer-630433-i1153423.Music123
    I plan to hook up 3 mics to it and go from the mixer master out to my computer.

and a site to reference
    Glossary of Basic Microphone Terms: http://mixguides.com/microphones/basics/audio_glossary_basic_microphone/
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Ehwww, both Behringer and Nady are complete crap gear.
    Why not just go for a cheapo Yamaha or something similar.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    A "cheap" setup that would sound okay would be a Rode NT1A mic and a Pro-Tools digi002 rack setup. Gets the job done, and sounds good for about $1500. (assuming you have a computer)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.