Hollow Body

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ive never played a hollow body before in my life, ive seen them played on stage and stuff, but whats the difference from that and a solid body...most hollow bodies look the same too
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,131
    i haven't played on either. i have always played solidbodies such as les pauls and sgs. i think they might have a more thin tone and are more succeptable to feedback because there is not alot of wood to distribute the vibration and give it that fat tone. not sure though. i am looking at buying a noel gallagher epiphone right now.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    i think they might have a more thin tone and are more succeptable to feedback because there is not alot of wood to distribute the vibration and give it that fat tone.

You have much to learn, young Skywalker...

Hollowbody electrics traditionally have a very woody tone, and a lot of natural resonance. A neck pickup on a good hollowbody is just about the phattest tone you'll ever hear... very warm and rich. There's a reason why jazz players and people like BB King play exclusively on hollowbodies.

There are really two different styles: the ES-335 shape, which is a double-cutaway and not too deep, and the ES-175, which is a single-cut Florentine cutaway with a deeper body. There are other styles, but those two styles count for most of the hollowbodies out there.

They are prone to feedback if you play with a lot of gain, but it's actually because the bodies resonate so much... the body will resonate from the sound of the amp and cause feedback if you play with a lot of distortion or high-gain. They're great for clean tones, though, and gritty overdrive.

I personally love the single-cut deeper body models with classic humbuckers... if you can play a major-7th chord, you're in heaven with one of those... the Epiphone Joe Pass is an especially good version. And a word of advice, the Ibanez ArtCore hollowbodies are absolutely amazing guitars for the price.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • You have much to learn, young Skywalker...

Hollowbody electrics traditionally have a very woody tone, and a lot of natural resonance. A neck pickup on a good hollowbody is just about the phattest tone you'll ever hear... very warm and rich. There's a reason why jazz players and people like BB King play exclusively on hollowbodies.

There are really two different styles: the ES-335 shape, which is a double-cutaway and not too deep, and the ES-175, which is a single-cut Florentine cutaway with a deeper body. There are other styles, but those two styles count for most of the hollowbodies out there.

They are prone to feedback if you play with a lot of gain, but it's actually because the bodies resonate so much... the body will resonate from the sound of the amp and cause feedback if you play with a lot of distortion or high-gain. They're great for clean tones, though, and gritty overdrive.

I personally love the single-cut deeper body models with classic humbuckers... if you can play a major-7th chord, you're in heaven with one of those... the Epiphone Joe Pass is an especially good version. And a word of advice, the Ibanez ArtCore hollowbodies are absolutely amazing guitars for the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search?b=1105&sc=price&so=asc&c=6242

those?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    those?

Yeah, those.

Well, except the $2000+ models at the bottom... those probably don't qualify as great "value" guitars.

A buddy of mine had an AS73 and it was great, good hardware, good pickups, played well, solid. I personally wouldn't mind trying an AF75 out.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.