Anyone else ever have this problem?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
this is the first time this has happened to me

on both my electric and acoustic i restrung the strings and did it correctly (lol) nd after i play for 5 minutes it goes out of tune...espsecially on my acoustic my E goes from an E to a Eb after playing for 10 minutes
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it happens because your strings are loosing up because basically they're not used to being tightened.

What helps is to try to stretch the strings out beforehand, therefore when you get the guitar strung the strings are already somewhat accustomed to tightness.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • it happens because your strings are loosing up because basically they're not used to being tightened.

What helps is to try to stretch the strings out beforehand, therefore when you get the guitar strung the strings are already somewhat accustomed to tightness.

i do that, i take them out of their packaging and lay them strait for like 3 minutes
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    Guitar strings stretch quite a bit. Because of this, they will go out of tune easily when first played.

When you put on a fresh set of string, tune them correctly then physically stretch them. Each time a string goes out of tune, retune it. Repeat this process until the strings keep their tune (usually 15 - 30min).

Laying a string flat doesn't do anything.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I like to string my guitar up and tune it about a half-step sharp, play it for about 15 minutes, then tune it right and set it in it's case. I don't like to artificially stretch my strings (it's one of my quirks). But it usually takes a day of being on the guitar for my strings to break in all the way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.