what other pedal should i get

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
phase 90, Boss DS-1, Boss DS-2, or Ibanez TS9 Tubesreamer

i already have my wah (535q crybaby) i was going to get a pedal before i got this but i guess i got the crybaby, haha...i have a digitech rp 50 (might be 80, i forget), its good but it has presets that you would never use, and it takes too long to make your own preset, i use that as my delay and chrous...which one of those 4 should i get? thanks
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Both links go to the phase 90 :confused:
    Sleep tight, grim right,
    We have two hundred couches, where you can sleep tonight.
  • lol my bad
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ...one of many. i would get the distortion before i got the phaser, however, i wouldn't get the grunge pedal. they fucking suck. trust me, kick in a little more $ and get the boss ds-1 distortion. it rocks, plus cobain used it. i've owned both, and i just sold the grunge pedal.
  • ...one of many. i would get the distortion before i got the phaser, however, i wouldn't get the grunge pedal. they fucking suck. trust me, kick in a little more $ and get the boss ds-1 distortion. it rocks, plus cobain used it. i've owned both, and i just sold the grunge pedal.

its the same price
  • its the same price

sorry, in that case, a no-brainer.
  • Do you already have some sort of distortion or overdrive pedal?

If so, why are you getting a second one?

If not, then yeah, get the distortion first. And I agree, the Grunge pedal isn't what it's supposed to be. The DS-1 is probably the best generic distortion pedal out there, especially considering the price. It's predictable, consistant, and reliable. The Rat is another distortion to consider.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Do you already have some sort of distortion or overdrive pedal?

If so, why are you getting a second one?

If not, then yeah, get the distortion first. And I agree, the Grunge pedal isn't what it's supposed to be. The DS-1 is probably the best generic distortion pedal out there, especially considering the price. It's predictable, consistant, and reliable. The Rat is another distortion to consider.

no i dont have a distortion pedal...all i do is just flip the overdrive button on my mini amp, its no big deal, sounds good
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    the grunge pedal is probably the worst pedal of all time. the only way you will like it is if you are bashing out really fucked up Sonic Youth songs where you NEED your amp to sound like its dying. I have that grunge pedal and my ears are almost bleeding after I'm done playing with it.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Hmmmm,

Does anyone here play a ds1 and a tubescreamer at the same time? A ds1 has approximately 2x as much distortion available as a stock tubescreamer right?

Like a Baked Tubescreamer and a DS1 are roughly equivalent.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I was curious as to what size and kind of amp you have. Pesonally.. i'd go with the Tubescreamer over anything.. I just like the tone and the boost it adds.. add that with that Crybaby cocked about half way and thats a killer tone.. well it always was for me. It sounded good through My Lainey head and my 67 Mustang and really good with my friends LEs PAul... So I dunno.. I might also like to add.. a great and rather cheap Delay.. is the Danelectro Delay... so many options on that little thing.
    "He who forgets will be destined to remember"
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-DUN-M101.html

or

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-DOD%20DG.html

i already have my wah (535q crybaby) i was going to get a pedal before i got this but i guess i got the crybaby, haha...which one of those 2 should i get? thanks

You should get an Ibanez TS9 Distortion pedal THEN the MXR Phase. Very tasty.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • The Ibanez Tubescreamer family of effects is my personal favorite in all the world.

That being said...

I never heard a Tubescreamer sound good thru a solid-state amp.

Just because it works for you, don't mean it will work for everyone...
  • i have a marshall mg mini amp...the one thats like only 70$... i had my dads old amp til over the summer, it was really nice...12 inches 30 watts...i think it was a fender or baringer (or however u spell it)...but that broke...it was like 30 years old and for it to be fixed and fix the boxing of the amp, it wasnt worth it, so i just got the 70$ mini camp...currently im saving up for the AVT150H HalfStack Marshall...i rather the Mode Four but thats way too much money as well as the JCM800

well im looking to only spend within the 50$ area....i saw the DS-2 by Boss...80$ ill see if i can play it this week and if i like it ill get 30$ somehow...lol...ill try out the ibanez though
  • ah i cant afford the TS9...i know thats what mike has but i cant afford it
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    ah i cant afford the TS9...i know thats what mike has but i cant afford it

ebay my friend.
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• gotz id wrote:
    ebay my friend.

just as expensive...and sometimes either the same price or more with the shipping, i can get the shipping free if i wanted and get it brand new
  • You might be able to find a TS-7 for about $40.

But I still wouldn't recommend a Tubescreamer for a small solid-state practice amp, especially a Marshall.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ah i cant afford the TS9...i know thats what mike has but i cant afford it

I'd just use the distortion channel on your amp at the moment. Go with the phase 90 or some kind of delay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    if it's just between these 2 go with the phase
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd just use the distortion channel on your amp at the moment. Go with the phase 90 or some kind of delay.

i have the digitech rp 50 or 80 i forget, lol...so thats my delay and chorus...but the presets it comes with, you would never use to record or play live...its just to mess around with, plus it takes to long to find your own pre-set that you want
    i have the digitech rp 50 or 80 i forget, lol...so thats my delay and chorus...but the presets it comes with, you would never use to record or play live...its just to mess around with, plus it takes to long to find your own pre-set that you want

I say phase 90 then.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I say phase 90 then.

Get a Bad Monkey, it is the best pedal for the money, period end of Discussion.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTDBM?trk=smx

It is soooooo good it is a joke!
    I am telling all of you, go buy this pedal you will not be dissapointed. I have heard it and it is just as good as a lot of $200+ pedals. It is a rare find and there are tons of threads out there, with posts from guys who are just in love.

If you want a nice phaser, I would check Ebay, see if you can score a Small Stone, I just sold mine on ebay for $50.

See the biggest Bad Monkey thread here...
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66491
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Get a Bad Monkey, it is the best pedal for the money, period end of Discussion.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTDBM?trk=smx

It is soooooo good it is a joke!
    I am telling all of you, go buy this pedal you will not be dissapointed. I have heard it and it is just as good as a lot of $200+ pedals. It is a rare find and there are tons of threads out there, with posts from guys who are just in love.

If you want a nice phaser, I would check Ebay, see if you can score a Small Stone, I just sold mine on ebay for $50.

See the biggest Bad Monkey thread here...
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66491

shouldn't you be shopping these?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZkimsuzzie

in the world of cool cheapo digitechs, I'd go for the Screamin Blues.

I love my little digiverb.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

HAHAHA, Sean has enough duckets from me for a couple weeks. I just got an Octave PLanet Pro, my Black Beauty Balance last week.
    I am out of room LOL.
    I really don't need any more boost, or OD, or Fuzz. Now I am focusing on comps, I ordered the Bi-Comp a while ago, so it should be sent any day now. I need to compare it to the Demeter, and I want to look at Pedalworx again.
    I am so out of room.
    New pedals from the last month:
    Red Witch Moon
    Teese Pic Wah
    Love Pedal Cot, Eternity, Octave, BBB(OC81, I share this with a very special Brit :) )
    Analogman special Sun Face with switchable bass mod, battery kill switch, special batch of NK's.
    BJ Honey Bee
    Plus I am putting down my deposit on my new Allen Amp and I just swapped out all my saddles for Callahams.
    For those who want nice vintage nickle strings, ask me about SOS strings!

So PAc, if you want the vintage double 50 from Sean, grab it cause he ain't gonna make many more. Its really sweet!
    You wanna make me an offer on my FF? Orange with sparkles, its a run of 2, mine being number 1, with the base plate for power :)

Get a BAD MONKEY, trust me, all the tone you want is there for 40 bones.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    HAHAHA, Sean has enough duckets from me for a couple weeks. I just got an Octave PLanet Pro, my Black Beauty Balance last week.
    I am out of room LOL.
    I really don't need any more boost, or OD, or Fuzz. Now I am focusing on comps, I ordered the Bi-Comp a while ago, so it should be sent any day now. I need to compare it to the Demeter, and I want to look at Pedalworx again.
    I am so out of room.
    New pedals from the last month:
    Red Witch Moon
    Teese Pic Wah
    Love Pedal Cot, Eternity, Octave, BBB(OC81, I share this with a very special Brit :) )
    Analogman special Sun Face with switchable bass mod, battery kill switch, special batch of NK's.
    BJ Honey Bee
    Plus I am putting down my deposit on my new Allen Amp and I just swapped out all my saddles for Callahams.
    For those who want nice vintage nickle strings, ask me about SOS strings!

So PAc, if you want the vintage double 50 from Sean, grab it cause he ain't gonna make many more. Its really sweet!
    You wanna make me an offer on my FF? Orange with sparkles, its a run of 2, mine being number 1, with the base plate for power :)

Get a BAD MONKEY, trust me, all the tone you want is there for 40 bones.

yeah I saw your email address in seans list of sales when I was looking it up to inquire about a vibe unit. He's living off you this week :D I went snowboarding two weeks ago and rent is due so I'm resisting the urge at the moment while I wait to see what all I put on my credit card last month. However the order for my Nash will be going in very shortly.

I'm guessing you're going to want around $325+ or so for that FF, and it might be a little steep for me, especially since you've got me investigating this little BBB magic box, I'm wanting a little darker (tonebender, fuzz face flavor though) I think I'm going to get that vibe, a TIP third hand for it, and then bring in a Wiggler for leslie/tremolo stuff.

I'm also about to bid on that Donner painted Barber DD SS with the LTD tone control and other extras for Tsunami relief as my #2 I'm selling the Keeley Rat 2 if I win.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah I saw your email address in seans list of sales when I was looking it up to inquire about a vibe unit. He's living off you this week :D I went snowboarding two weeks ago and rent is due so I'm resisting the urge at the moment while I wait to see what all I put on my credit card last month. However the order for my Nash will be going in very shortly.

I'm guessing you're going to want around $325+ or so for that FF, and it might be a little steep for me, especially since you've got me investigating this little BBB magic box, I'm wanting a little darker (tonebender, fuzz face flavor though) I think I'm going to get that vibe, a TIP third hand for it, and then bring in a Wiggler for leslie/tremolo stuff.

I'm also about to bid on that Donner painted Barber DD SS with the LTD tone control and other extras for Tsunami relief as my #2 I'm selling the Keeley Rat 2 if I win.

Yes, if I were you I would skip the FF, its not worth the money.
    Keep the Tsunami Auctions on the DL, we don't want everyone to know about the 5 Timmys and Bj SBEQ going up this week do we? ;)
    The Donner paint on that Barber box is just beautiful and its a one off, Dave has been helping me with Mr. Clark. Its funny what a nice guy he is, even when he has nothing to gain. I give him a huge thumbs up! I will have to buy some of his stuff just to support him.
    I have played so many fuzz boxes and my search ended when I heard the BBB clip. Sean told me I could post some pics, so I will do that fo you tonight. My paint job is the same as only one others. But nevermind the paint, its the guts that make this so special. It is a Cot50 and a Tone bender in one unit. Sean never makes 2 the same, and all his transistors are hand picked from sources all over europe. He tracked down some 67 OC 81's for mine and all the vibe clips on his site are done with my BBB as well :)
    I just don't think I have ever been happier, no tweaking, I just set it and forget it and the vol knob on your guitar does it all. If you want Tonbender then this is it.
    I was so confused when my search began, and I am glad that it ended the way all transactions should with a happy customer. I find it rare these days to be happy with a boutique pedal. I can't find one thing to complain about, except you wont find a power jack on most of his stuff, but thats OK. Fuzz and batteries just sound better.
    The last thing I will say about Sean is he is a great guy, and he has a really cool way of surpising you. Don't think for a second he doesn't know we are GASING for his stuff. By the way, he makes a silicon BBB, it pops up every once in a while.
    Let me know if you want to hear anything, I can shoot you some clips.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?