I played 2 HORRIBLE amps today

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i played the Peavey XXL...HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not worth 600$ for the head!

then i played the marshall AVT150 combo amp, it was hooked up to a 2x12 extension cab...the clean was decent but the OD sucked! and the acoustic similator sounded like clean but with more treble
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not happy with newer Peavey amp models....the XXX fuckin blows....and the XXX combo I played was the heaviest amp I have ever met, as in weight, not tone....big fat piece of shit. So I'll take your word on a less expensive SS version. Also, the new Satriani head has no gain, maybe after changing out the power tubes to 6l6's...but Classic 30's and 50's kick ass!
    The AVT head I played was pretty good, not sure if it was the 50 or 150...
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've never met a Marshall amp I liked, so that doesn't surprise me. My Sovtek gets comfortably within Marshall range, and that's good enough for me.

A friend of mine used to work for Peavey for a short while, and was appalled by their XXX and XXL lines. Called them bad Mesa clones. He had decent things to say about the 5150 and 5150 II (if you're into that sorta thing) and we can all agree the Classic amps are underrated. He liked the Delta Blues amps, except for the speakers (either the 15" or the 2x10"s). Said a speaker swap was virtually necessary. Based on what I know about Blue Marvels, that doesn't at all surprise me. Not that the Fender Hot Rod amps come with better speakers... seems to me that you could get into a Peavey Classic 50 and new speakers for about the same price as a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. And have a better amp for it.

Still, I think the Sheffield 12" speaker is the greatest piece of gear Peavey has ever made.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    He liked the Delta Blues amps, except for the speakers (either the 15" or the 2x10"s). Said a speaker swap was virtually necessary. Based on what I know about Blue Marvels, that doesn't at all surprise me. Not that the Fender Hot Rod amps come with better speakers... seems to me that you could get into a Peavey Classic 50 and new speakers for about the same price as a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. And have a better amp for it.
    MIG - what replacement speaker would you recommend for my Delta Blues 1x15? It sounds really good stock, but i know that an upgraded speaker is going to be the key to sounding fucking amazing.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    MIG - what replacement speaker would you recommend for my Delta Blues 1x15? It sounds really good stock, but i know that an upgraded speaker is going to be the key to sounding fucking amazing.

weber without a second thought. You can pick your own flavor. California, Chicago, Texas, whatever.

http://www.webervst.com

you can also check out eminence's decent stuff from Ted's site.

I believe you might find a 15" sheffield used which would work too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.

I don't do 15" speakers, so I really can't make much of a recommendation. I'd be inclined to think the same JBL-clone that's in the new Fender Twin Custom 15. If memory serves right, it's made by either Eminence or Jensen. I'd bet Weber has something appropriate, too.

If it was me, though... I'd do one of three things:

1. Put a 12" in.
    2. Put 2 - 10"s in.
    3. Cut the box down to a head and play thru a cab.

Sounds like you're a fan of the 15", though. So yeah... maybe some of these yahoo's know more about 15's. *cough* Bob? *cough*
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I don't do 15" speakers, so I really can't make much of a recommendation. I'd be inclined to think the same JBL-clone that's in the new Fender Twin Custom 15. If memory serves right, it's made by either Eminence or Jensen. I'd bet Weber has something appropriate, too.

If it was me, though... I'd do one of three things:

1. Put a 12" in.
    2. Put 2 - 10"s in.
    3. Cut the box down to a head and play thru a cab.

Sounds like you're a fan of the 15", though. So yeah... maybe some of these yahoo's know more about 15's. *cough* Bob? *cough*

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/ replaces JBL D130.

If you prefer the bottom end of an EV the Chicago is the way to go.

Depending on how early one wants the break up the Texas and Chicago swing that way.

The Thames is the more british (warm) sounding of the whole lot.

Alnico versions are available and are more expensive but they break up earlier and give a certain character to the tone if that's what one desires.

The Tone Tubby (A Broun sound) or Cannibus Rex (eminence) might be a good match.

Personally I think the California would be the best match for a tweed/brownface/blackface sound.

I bet the thames would match up really well with the EL 84's but I worry about brightness in that it might be too bright.

The Chicago might be perfect for that amp too who knows.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Personally I think the California would be the best match for a tweed/brownface/blackface sound.

My ceramic California 12" reminds me a lot of Mesa's Black Shadow speakers. I love mine...

I forgot about the old EV 15"s. Those WERE killer speakers.