well, ah need help yet again

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,132
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i got my report card today and its not so hot, so my parents made me quit my job and i cant start a job until the beginning of the next school year...so i dont go to much cash to spend

my dad did say though if i got a 87 (76 last quarter, my lowest lol) or higher on my next report card that he would put 650$ to any guitar shit (amps, guitar, pedals, etc)

my question is that i was looking to get the Fender Twin Amp 100 Watt (1150$)...but i might not get that 87 so i wont be able to afford that...

are there any good stacks or combo amps for under 800$?? is the marshall mg100 half stack really that bad? i know that its a solid state but still...for 650$...ah man i hope i can get that fender twin amp...i want a tube amp so badly and the sound of it was amazing!!!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    i got my report card today and its not so hot, so my parents made me quit my job and i cant start a job until the beginning of the next school year...so i dont go to much cash to spend

my dad did say though if i got a 87 (76 last quarter, my lowest lol) or higher on my next report card that he would put 650$ to any guitar shit (amps, guitar, pedals, etc)

my question is that i was looking to get the Fender Twin Amp 100 Watt (1150$)...but i might not get that 87 so i wont be able to afford that...

are there any good stacks or combo amps for under 800$?? is the marshall mg100 half stack really that bad? i know that its a solid state but still...for 650$...ah man i hope i can get that fender twin amp...i want a tube amp so badly and the sound of it was amazing!!!

My mesa F30 will be for sale in 5 weeks. I will ask 800 for it for board members, plus shipping. It is in new condition, never gigged with, no tears, etc. All mauals, tags, etc. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • HailHail...

you seem really set on everything 100 watts. 100 watts solid state isn't too bad....but when you're talking 100 watts tube, that's fucking loud. You won't have much control over your volume, it's either gonna be too loud, fucking loud...or holy shit i can't hear anymore loud.

Unless you're gonna be touring arenas soon, i'd look at lower-wattage tube combos. Fender's Hot Rod series amps have gotten good reviews (especially if you swap the speaker(s) with Celestions) and i love my Peavey Delta Blues (also look at the classic 20, 30, or 50). Used Marshall tube amp combos can be found on ebay for far below 800 bucks. Also, look at the used section of guitar shops...there's a Marshall JCM 900 (maybe 800, don't remember) 50 watt tube head for around 500 at a store in my town.

Keep your eyes open for the good deals. My advice is to not spend 650 on the solid-state amp...you can get a better sound for less than that.

Most importantly, remember that tube watts are AT LEAST twice as loud as solid state. My Delta Blues can be heard outside of my apartment when on volume 2......if you want an idea on how loud the Fender Twin is, ask 62strat...he's even said he'd like it to be quieter.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • well i dont think i need a 100 watts but the sound of it was so fucking amazing

i want something around like 50-85 watts....they have a 85 watt twin but i hate having more than 1 input, it drives me nuts

edit: what about the ibanez tube half stack, its like 600$...oh and i was at guitar center and they didnt have my fender concert reverb but they had a 65 super reverb or something and i was going to play it but it wasnt plugged in

heres the concert reverb

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Concert-Reverb-i15474.music

its 50watts but its more expensive, im praying for a 87 lol

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480508/
    is that what you were tlaking about? i just saw that its 4-10 inch speakers, i thought it was only 2-10'...60watts is nice too
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The Fender Hot Rod comes in 3 different models:

Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 - 40 watts
    Hot Rod Deville 2x12 - 60 watts
    Hot Rod Deville 4x10 - 60 watts

and what's wrong with having more than one input?

and dude, what the hell kind of grading scale are you on? Whatever happened to the normal GPA?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Yes, the Marshall MG series is that bad.

The metal front is pot metal, I've seen input jacks ripped from the chassis when people tripped over the cable. Marshall cares more about making a buck than they do about quality especially with the Korean stuff. They are trading on name and a half assed decent tone. You can do better.

If you are dead set on Marshall I'd still shop used JCM 900/2000 DSL 50 watt combos. maybe even 1959SLX combos etc.

as a hint Musicians Friend is selling Crate Blue Voodoo cabs for 299 right now. That's pretty much a steal.

Also used 59 bassman combos would be close to the sound you want especially with a Tube Screamer and some kind of brit sounding distortion (RAT) or another TS-9 or BD-2. Tweed combos tend to be looser in bass response though. But you'd have to notice it. The 59 bassman is one of the best tone platforms of all time. No BS, just 4x alnico 10's a full rich tone and sounds pretty good with anything plugged into it no matter what music you play

a closed back 4x12 is a more focused tone. Though it's pretty overkill in most situations and it's tough to lug around.

Marshall made some small 4x12's a few years ago, you might check those out used too, I don't like them as much as full sized, but they are easier to egress and ingress.

Carvins MTS series would be far and away better than a MG and it's close to the same price for a half stack and it's all tube.

If you went with Carvin I'd go with an MTS head and either the tweed open back 212E cab (V30's) or the closed back Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with V30's.

Either should get you out under budget.

If you went with the 212 MTS combo you essentially get the same thing as a Marshall DSL combo equipped with Celestion G12T-75's for $699 the same price as the horrid MG stack.

case in pt. here's a head with 4 EHX EL-34's and 5 boogie 12AX7's at under 3 bills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43375&item=7317653713&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • they give us a number from 0-100 on the report card...after every year they give us our GPA...i saw my guidance ocunselour today she said from freshmen year to now i have a 3.15GPA

as for inputs, i hate it because u have to keep changing plugs to get a different sound, whats the point of it anyway?
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    the real point of 100 watts is more clean headroom anyways. you dont have to turn it up. or maybe im just used to an instead loud because thAts the way my current amp is.
  • how is the carvin half stack? its only 1000$ and its tube im interested a lot because they make steve vai's line of amps
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    as for inputs, i hate it because u have to keep changing plugs to get a different sound, whats the point of it anyway?

That's what A-B-Y boxes are for.

Most people only use one channel of the amp anyways.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Don't settle man! an 87 is only 9 percentage points. The question is not what can you get for under 800...but how badly do you want that Twin :)

Trust your dad on this one...applying yourself in school right now will be more valuable to you down the road than that Twin. You can always make money to buy gear...but if you're smart...you'lll do everything you can to score some money for college...and the only way that is going to happen is if you're a monster athlete, or have mad brain skills.

Don't be a jackass like me. I didn't take high school seriously...and now I'm working full time and going to school full time, when I should just be going to school full time. I have half the time for music that I need because I am working so hard to make up for being a slacker in high school.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    yea seriously, its almost hard to comprehend how expensive college is, especially if you plan on living in a dorm, apartment, or some other thing in which you have to pay for. There is always gonna be gear around, and hopefully money to pay for it, but get a bunch of sholarships and enjoy college rather than working like hell through it.
    That's what A-B-Y boxes are for.

Most people only use one channel of the amp anyways.

or the Barber Launch Pad.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • well im going to try for the 87, but if i dont get it then i need to settle for something less
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    or the Barber Launch Pad.

Hell, I'd get a Deluxe Reverb RI and put a tubescreamer in front of the 'verb channel. What more does one man need?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Hell, I'd get a Deluxe Reverb RI and put a tubescreamer in front of the 'verb channel. What more does one man need?

A Pretty Hate Machine or (woman) if you will to rip ones heart out and provide inpiration.

"A star to sail her by"
  • i played the hot rod deville 410 fender today after my guitar lesson, it sounds real nice but it sounds more bluesey and more of a mellow sound...the overdrive was not so great but i have a pedal...but the clean channel was nice, but again real bluesy andi tried changing the EQ, presence, and reverb to get a regular clean tone but didnt work...
  • 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

you'd have to hear a launch pad running both channels. it's heaven.