Probably an annoying question...

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
but i play a lot of zeppelin songs, and i play the songs correctly but they sound like shit!! i was wondering if anyone knew how to get that jimmy page tone? it would be nice too because he IS my 2nd favorite guitarist...i know the les paul most likely is needed plus i know he used a 300$ fuzz pedal

type of sounds from songs:
The Rover
The Ocean
Wearing and Tearing

****The Exact Tone I Want IS ---> THE TONE THAT JIMMY PAGE USES ON THE SONG "THE TRUTH EXPLODES" ON THE NO QUARTER ALBUM, I AM IN LOVE WITH THAT TONE*****

any help is nice

thanks

ps: does an epiphone les paul sound anywhere as good as a gibson les paul?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• epiphone les paul's sound great. I have one and i love it.

can't help you with that tone.. but i've heard people are spending a ton of money trying to find it too.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Epiphones are great.
    Just replace at least the pick ups (the whole wiring scheme if you can)
    and you have a Gibson at half the price.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I am with you, Page's tones are the shit. I love all his tones, as they did change through the years. There are some who say he never kicked the MKII off his board and always had it turned on even in the later years, others say it was just his cranked modded marshalls and the LP.
    I can nail all the tones with a couple different pedals. The Honey Bee from BJF is a supro in a box, so I run it into a BF type amp and with a strat or tele and a little fuzz you have the early Page tones.
    To get his tones of Zep III, through the end of Zep you need to get a good OD pedal and a marshall type amp and just crank it.
    There are a ton of websites devoted to his gear and his amps. But a simple thing to do is check out a few boost and OD pedals and of course turn it up :)
    Lastly, Page like McCready liked to kick the wah on and use it but not in a conventional way, so try those sounds too.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • DieasGrey wrote:
    Epiphones are great.
    Just replace at least the pick ups (the whole wiring scheme if you can)
    and you have a Gibson at half the price.

why change the wiring and pickups? (i was thinking of changing hte bridge pickup to an open coil like the jimmy page model) im just asking cuz i saw a beauitul epiphone les paul on ebay

JofZ - thanks a lot man, i have a shitty Marshall MG10 Mini-Amp i am sure that wont do shit cuz it is shit, lol
    i would really like to atleast test out this fuzz box he had but its extremly hard to find...im never going to buy a marshall amp unless its a Original Plexi or Original JCM900 maybe 800...so what i think i could possibly do is get the Marshall Overdrive Pedal which sounds pretty badass on its website

PS: does anyone know what song im talking aobut "The Truth Explodes" and the dvd he uses a huge ass multi-effect pedal, i wonder if thats it, i know he uses it for his "fuzz type of solo" in the middle of the song

and

would the new reissue of the flender bender get me that tone as well?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    why change the wiring and pickups? (i was thinking of changing hte bridge pickup to an open coil like the jimmy page model) im just asking cuz i saw a beauitul epiphone les paul on ebay

JofZ - thanks a lot man, i have a shitty Marshall MG10 Mini-Amp i am sure that wont do shit cuz it is shit, lol
    i would really like to atleast test out this fuzz box he had but its extremly hard to find...im never going to buy a marshall amp unless its a Original Plexi or Original JCM900 maybe 800...so what i think i could possibly do is get the Marshall Overdrive Pedal which sounds pretty badass on its website

PS: does anyone know what song im talking aobut "The Truth Explodes" and the dvd he uses a huge ass multi-effect pedal, i wonder if thats it, i know he uses it for his "fuzz type of solo" in the middle of the song

and

would the new reissue of the flender bender get me that tone as well?

I just ordered a dead on clone of the MK II with the OC81s. D*A*M pedals made by David in the UK, they are a little pricey but it is the only real clone. For a cheaper clone check out the pedalworx Bender Over Under, ther are some other MK II clones out there as well, but I am not a big fan of them.
    I think with that fuzz box you will nail the early zep tones.

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk
    Musictoyz.com has them, but they will have to order the Oc81 for you.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Les Paul
    > cranked Vintage Marshall with 2 412s = Page

Did you know he used a telecaster to record Zeppelin I?
  • Les Paul
    > cranked Vintage Marshall with 2 412s = Page

Did you know he used a telecaster to record Zeppelin I?

yeah i saw his setup on a website and it said that, he also used a strat on some albums
    guess im not getting that tone since im not going to be spending a shit load of money on a marshall...maybe a epiphone les paul soon though :) (possibly christmas)