turbo tube screamer

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone have the ibanez turbo ts9?

i was just wondering because it has 3 modes and i was wondering if anyone likes it, it says it has the ts9 mode but i dunno if it sounds exactly like the ts9, thanks
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    The guitar player in my old band used to have one of these. I think it was pretty damn good, but that was back when I was a foolish amateur who only played with buzzy, trebley distortion with no regard for tone whatsoever.

I'd love one now, but I think I'd rather have the TS 808 reissue.
  • The guitar player in my old band used to have one of these. I think it was pretty damn good, but that was back when I was a foolish amateur who only played with buzzy, trebley distortion with no regard for tone whatsoever.

I'd love one now, but I think I'd rather have the TS 808 reissue.

EEK NO!!! the 808 reussue is bad!!!

the ts9 reissue sounds beautiful
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    The 808 is shit. Hmm...

I've never played one, I was going off of the sound bytes they have on Musicians Friend. Sounds soooo good on there, and the Ts-9 sounds harsh.

I guess I'll just go to the store and try them out.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes, the 808 reissue is shit. horrible. the TS-9 is a lot better. and the maxon OD-9 is better still.

didn't try the turbo TS-9.
  • i have a ts-7.... the grey one, not green.... I once played a ts-9 in a fender amp with a ibanez guitar and sound amazing.... but the quiestion i have is that the ts-9 is much better than the ts-7 or are just the same??.... i play the ts-7 in a laney hc-25r amp and a honner rockwood guitar.... really basic gear.
    pearl jam + lettertothedead+ chile

www.lettertothedead.tk
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you're looking for an 808 go aftermarket.

Shoving a JCD4558D OPAMP into the same poor circuitry isn't doing you any good. Try one of those up against say a Shannon OD and tell me there's no difference. Hell the Shannon was 50 bucks cheaper.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hey, if the TS9 is good enough for Mike McCready, it's definetely good enough for me. I don't see the point in spending 50 more dollars on the 808. I mean, how complicated does overdrive need to be?
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    TS9DX is great. Buy It.
    No one is Righteous.......
    Hey, if the TS9 is good enough for Mike McCready, it's definetely good enough for me. I don't see the point in spending 50 more dollars on the 808. I mean, how complicated does overdrive need to be?

well it's like this, the multitude of options out there came for various problems and desires. Everyones setup is different and what everyone is trying to achieve is different. People are out there spending 500 bucks on the original SRV choice the TS808. The new version does not sound like it at all it's just a repacked TS9 with a JRC4558D chip in it. Ibanez is banking on nostalgia. The original TS9's like Mike used back in the Early 90's were actually a little different still than the ones today. At 100 bucks I think there are better options for the money from a few small pedal builders like David Barber in Maryland. The Direct Drive is pretty much an 808 with extra gain presence and Bass trimmers, a lot more volume and a pull up harmonics switch, hand built and true bypass with a 3PDT switch for the same price as the taiwanese built Ibanez tubescremers. It mainly comes down to who you want to support and what you want your sound to sound like. 99 bucks for the sake of 99 bucks means nothing if the tone isn't what you want. Some people find bliss in the 40 dollar Digitech Bad Monkey an outstanding overdrive for the change or the Nobles OD1 for around the same price. Most are based around that same popular TS concept. Some people detest that midrange hump and go with a more transparent sound like the Boss Blues Driver etc.

Essentially money is a wash when you're talking about tone, it's all about fitting your budget with the right overdrive for your setup.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Two replies to questions not the original:

1. The TS-808 is all looks, no tone. There are many other pedals that kick it's ass tonally. If Eric has any left, you could get a Shannon, but even the stock TS-9 is better than the 808, and the Maxon has a great reputation. The one thing I'll add is that Keeley will mod the 808 to sound good, and you can still have that classic look too. I'm still loving my Keeley TS-9's, so I can vouch for his knowledge of a tubescreamer... if you want the look of the original, but not the sound of the reissue, go to: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=31

2. The TS-7 is supposedly the same electronics (give or take, they've changed many components over the years) as the TS-9. In fact, some of the mod guys will mod the TS-7 the same as the TS-9. Jacques has some info on his site (he's a tubescreamer fanatic):

http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/ts808.html
    http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/ts9.htm
    http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/ts7.htm
    http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/page2.html
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com/ts1057.JPG

I used the one in the middle a loooooong time ago...I don't remember how it sounded because I was about 12..
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
    there's a used analog man Tone Lok Tubescreamer in the used section at musictoyz for 65 bucks.