Stupid Strings

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
This has never happened to me but my strings rusted?? what the hell? i just put then on 2 weeks ago....but rust?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I bet they were shitty factory defects.
  • never had rust but turn a funky green/brown from sweat.
    elixers for acoustic are nice
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    try these guys, you'll be quite pleased.

http://www.sobstrings.net
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    try keeping them clean?
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    I have to buy strings every two weeks because of rust. I wash my hands before I play and I wipe the strings down too which seems to help a little bit but it is pissing me off. I live near the beach so I suppose that wouldn't help but one of my mates reckons he only changes strings once a year and we buy the same brand usually. Any advice would be aprecciated
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    kigcat wrote:
    try keeping them clean?

Sorry, but they're not going to rust from being dirty. There was a problem with them for sure.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    if you dont wipe em off after youve played they`ll definately rust. just play till your hands sweat like a bitch then leave em overnight. next day run your finger under your string and yep.... there`ll be some rust. im not disagreeing that theyre faulty at all but i know so many ppl who never clean there strings and there guitars feel vile to play, sound lifeless and break strings all the time. I aint broken a string in nearly 3 years (well ive just f*&%$n jinxed myself now aint i? )
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Squidge wrote:
    Sorry, but they're not going to rust from being dirty. There was a problem with them for sure.
    um yeah they would. dirt from your fingers is gonna be sweaty which will rust them. wipe them after and they last till they break
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    um yeah they would. dirt from your fingers is gonna be sweaty which will rust them. wipe them after and they last till they break

That's funny cuz i never wipe my strings down and i am a sweaty fingered mutha flucka......never rusted on me. Must be an environment issue, kept near the bathroom/kitchen where it can get humid. Your sweat alone shouldn't make them rust.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Squidge wrote:
    That's funny cuz i never wipe my strings down and i am a sweaty fingered mutha flucka......never rusted on me. Must be an environment issue, kept near the bathroom/kitchen where it can get humid. Your sweat alone shouldn't make them rust.
    we'll agree to disagree then! :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mk333mk333 Posts: 17
    sweat= salt, dirt and water = rust.
    laziness is our downfall
  • BangBugBangBug Posts: 34
    i love to play when theirs dead skin allover the strings...it's mint
    Toronto '96
    Barrie '98
    Toronto '00
    Toronto '03
    Hamiltion '05
    Toronto '05
    Toronto 05/09/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    elstongunn wrote:
    never had rust but turn a funky green/brown from sweat.
    elixers for acoustic are nice
    i am sick of elixers...for being so expensive, they dont sound THAT good. Personally, I use Martin 80/20 Bronze Meds, but my favorite is GHS White Bronze Meds. They NEVER break, and sounds good for months

all4
  • i like the rotosound yellows, there perfect, not too thin, not too thick. but hey, this is rotte luck right, i wus gunna play at my skl for a concert fing, i wus just tuning up nd the 1st string snapped! i had a spare...at home!
    Fuck The System