Have You Found Your Sound Yet?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know I havent, it is a very expensive yet time eater type of job to find your sound. I went through 2 set-ups in 2 1/2 years and now im changing it again because i really dont like it, i maybe found 1 or 2 things that i like in my set-up. First you have to find the guitar you want, and the guitar has to go good with a good amp that you like...then if you get pedals, theres over thousands and thousands of pedals, some that I'm sure no one on this board has heard of that could just be our sound and we dont know it!

So have you found your sound? If so tell us about it :)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yes. It took forever. It's all about the Marshall amp. I have a TSL 122...great sound with my Fender Am Strat custom with Seymour Duncan Cool Rail pickups(to give it that edge) and my Gibson Les Paul standard. And my FX board...finally complete and I don't see myself adding anything else for quite sometime...here is a pic:

http://www.angelfire.com/ak/cooldud319/index.html
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I know I havent, it is a very expensive yet time eater type of job to find your sound. I went through 2 set-ups in 2 1/2 years and now im changing it again because i really dont like it, i maybe found 1 or 2 things that i like in my set-up. First you have to find the guitar you want, and the guitar has to go good with a good amp that you like...then if you get pedals, theres over thousands and thousands of pedals, some that I'm sure no one on this board has heard of that could just be our sound and we dont know it!

So have you found your sound? If so tell us about it :)

But my perfect sound is ever evolving, so I'll never find it. But I love the hunt. Much like women, just when you think you got the right one something a little sweeter/fresher comes across your line of sight. And the hunt is on again.

I think is is one of the reason I love my acoustic. Like me, it just mellows and gets better with age. Picked up a few scratches and dings along the way but you got love the way it resonates.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • VacantVacant Posts: 50
    I don't think I'm one wit closer to finding my sound, and I've been at it for quite awhile now. I'm going to try changing my pickups in one of my guitars, to get a tone versatility I can work with. Once that's done, I'll be concentrating mostly on pedals and screwing around with that.

Our respective sounds are out there somewhere, we just have to find'em.
    --Evenflow Psycho #0019--

Back after a 3 year personal hiatus!
  • Yes. It took forever. It's all about the Marshall amp. I have a TSL 122...great sound with my Fender Am Strat custom with Seymour Duncan Cool Rail pickups(to give it that edge) and my Gibson Les Paul standard. And my FX board...finally complete and I don't see myself adding anything else for quite sometime...here is a pic:

haha i love that Boss Analog Delay you go there

yes tone matters to me a lot thats why i would like to have 2 or 3 OD/Dist pedals inclusing the OD on my amp to have different sounds

i have a fender fat strat (my baby) and you can get so many tones out of it i love it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I've tried Distortion pedals of all kinds...but I hate the way they sound. I even used a proco Rat for a long time, but it still sounds no where near as good as a Marshall tube amp on the lead channel.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yes, I have.

But I think most folks are already aware of that.

My last big purchase is almost complete... speakers going in my cabinet tonight, if everything goes right!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I did, after years of buying amps and pedals and trying out electric guitars. My sound is best voiced on a Sigma 12 string acoustic with heavy gauge strings.
  • Yes I do, and in another 4 or 5 months, I'll sell it all and start over again. Just like I've been doing for 10+ years
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've tried Distortion pedals of all kinds...but I hate the way they sound. I even used a proco Rat for a long time, but it still sounds no where near as good as a Marshall tube amp on the lead channel.

go to http://www.lovepedal.com look up Black Magic and play the sound clip. Sell every other distortion pedal you have.

actually it's not up yet, it's posted somewhere on the gear page I think.

that, or the Soldano Supercharger should be right up your alley.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yes. It took forever. It's all about the Marshall amp. I have a TSL 122...great sound with my Fender Am Strat custom with Seymour Duncan Cool Rail pickups(to give it that edge) and my Gibson Les Paul standard. And my FX board...finally complete and I don't see myself adding anything else for quite sometime...here is a pic:

i looooove my boss dd6 (or dd3) delay :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i hate them too... wayyyyy too shitty..

i use overdrive, and actually at the moment the only overdrive i need is built in my amp and gives me a very nice warm sound.

i'll be getting a fender blender though.. one thing i've been trying to find is the perfect fuzz... and.. there it is!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    ]Yes. It took forever. It's all about the Marshall amp. I have a TSL 122...
    and my Gibson Les Paul standard.

Me and my buddy have a term fo the 'Paul' with the Marshall. "Cream Jeans" I am just a few steps a way from tonal bliss with my '95 Les Paul into a 2000 Crate Vintage series 6o-watter and Digitech phaser, flanger, echo, and Whammy reissue.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Come to think of it I need a strat too. I have an Alvarez Tele copy that I refinished. While stripping the body I chipped it up some and it actually turned out pretty cool. I am playing it now as is but hopefully once some gig money starts rollin in I can swing some cash for some sweet pickups to put in it. Hopefully I can find somebody I can trust to dig on it a little and make a 3 pickup monster. I am thinkin a Hotrails in the bridge but have no idea for the middle or neck.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Come to think of it I need a strat too. I have an Alvarez Tele copy that I refinished. While stripping the body I chipped it up some and it actually turned out pretty cool. I am playing it now as is but hopefully once some gig money starts rollin in I can swing some cash for some sweet pickups to put in it. Hopefully I can find somebody I can trust to dig on it a little and make a 3 pickup monster. I am thinkin a Hotrails in the bridge but have no idea for the middle or neck.

Might I suggest a few?

http://www.harmonicdesign.net before you go with the hot rails check out the S90 from HD. The Vintage Plus's are a great neck/middle sound too.

Lindy Fralin Blues for the neck and the middle (big round strat tone)

Jason Lollar.

http://www.projectguitar.com is a great place to look around, especially the references section.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    P-90 equipped guitar/tele with hot pickups, low wattage and straight forward amps... not much else.

Try as a may, that is the sound I want to hear when I play electric guitar.

All around, I think my J-200 says it best. The perfect compliment to my singing.
    There's No Code.
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    I found my ideal set up, but I dont have any of the equipment for it.

Nice Hollowbody, through a nice Fender tube amp. Sounds beautiful.
  • i looooove my boss dd6 (or dd3) delay :cool:

i just got a DD-3 a few weeks ago...I LOVE IT...its so simple yet with a strat and a decent overdrive, it sounds so great, although i personally dis-like reverb, the reverb thats in the DD-3 is perfect
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    I got my Marshall TSL100 head about 6 years ago and havent looked back since,i punish my poor amp with 2 Les Pauls and a Strat,a Line 6 Delay Modeller,Line 6 Mod Modeller and a Vox Wah and thats it!My amp i am 100% happy with i just love weird pedals every now and then:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Might I suggest a few?

http://www.harmonicdesign.net before you go with the hot rails check out the S90 from HD.

Lindy Fralin Blues for the neck and the middle (big round strat tone)

Paco, that would sound terrible, and you know it. Why would any moron on the face of the planet put those pickups in a Tele? Jeez... get it together, man...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i found my sound.

it was under the couch cushion the whole time.