Music Producer

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
what type of Major would a Music Producer have?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• what type of Major would a Music Producer have?

he woudl have a DEGREE (2 years) in Audio Production. That will get you into the studio, you can of course upgrade stuff, specialize, but in the music industry once your in the door, its WHO you know, not WHAT you know

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I remember looking into this during highschool, and it's a pretty competative area.
    This is the basic setting:

First off, you have to have a really solid background in physics and math, and then you go to a recording college and do a 2 year degree.

Afterwards, you find an internship with someone that will take you, and you do really measly work. Stuff like setting up the studio, helping the producer and other staff, and getting coffee and lunches. It's really long hours and for little pay.

Eventually, you'll probably get behind the mixer and do some supplementary work with a producer or technician.

After this, it's really up to you what you do with it. Those who rise to the top work hard and smart, and have to be dedicated. You also have to have made some friends in high places for the most part.

Most studios have long time producers and technicians who's jobs only really open up when they retire. These are highly competative spots, and you really have to battle to get them.

Do I think it's worth it? Absolutely.

This was my career plan after high school, but I just couldn't do the math and physics stuff. If I could go back, I'd work my ass off in math, but I'm content with what I'm doing now anyways (Bioarchaeology degree).
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Many actually.

IMHO, any producer worth his paycheck knows his way around gear (can be done without a degree at the expense of years of work), music (a degree helps but again, not essential), and business (degree preferred) since they are the ones responsible for the budget.
  • you might find it interesting to read some stuff on the site of someone who knows a tiny little bit about being a producer (you know who this guy is, don't you?)

http://www.endino.com/faq.html#edu

i might be biased because he's one of the coolest people i ever talked to but it's a GREAT read and he's full of information...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Thanks guys

i was actually looking at majoring in Music Marketing and Management....a lot of schools dont offer that major so I could combine Buisness Marketing/Management and Music General Performance which 90% of the schools ive been looking at have it

i dont know if producing is my thing after reading that Dirty (thanks for the info) but something in the music industry

northeastern (although WAY too expensive) offers a semester in the UK where you do internship with Sony BMG UK and then if you do a good job you intern with Sony BMG US...and if you continue to do well you may have a job at Sony

http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/majors/50.0909.html

thats a description of the major...sounds pretty kick ass

im also looking into Communications on the Broadcast, Radio/TV side of things...Digital Media
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Thanks guys

i was actually looking at majoring in Music Marketing and Management....a lot of schools dont offer that major so I could combine Buisness Marketing/Management and Music General Performance which 90% of the schools ive been looking at have it

i dont know if producing is my thing after reading that Dirty (thanks for the info) but something in the music industry

northeastern (although WAY too expensive) offers a semester in the UK where you do internship with Sony BMG UK and then if you do a good job you intern with Sony BMG US...and if you continue to do well you may have a job at Sony

http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/majors/50.0909.html

thats a description of the major...sounds pretty kick ass

im also looking into Communications on the Broadcast, Radio/TV side of things...Digital Media

I know some people who are doing a joint University/college degree in broadcast communications and they absolutely love it. They get internships with radio stations around here. It's not getting lunch and coffees, but rather being 'the guy on location'. They go to all the major events for free, and call in to the station and tell listeners about the happenings. They also get a 2 hour time slot on the college radio station to do whatever they want with it.