Digital Vs. Analog

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,133
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
which do u like better? analog delay or digital delay? and why?

i like analog better on most pedals
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like lo-res digital quite a bit.
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    i like digital delay personally
    No one is Righteous.......
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    I like the analog delay on my Visual Sound H2O pedal its good enough for me and a nice chorus too.
  • i'd say i like Analog better.... but i own a Boss DD6 and i fucking love it. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I've yet to find a Delay I'm really happy with. But I tend to favor the Analog over than the Digital. It tends to have less effect on the overall tone. Digital gives me a tinny sound which can drive you nuts.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I personally love analog, the more lo fi the better. Delays are a different story it depends on what your style is etc. I will say a TTE improves your tone so much, it justifies the 800 price tag. The echozar is also really nice, but its over 600. Maxon makes some gresat analog delays if you can find them.
    I know analogman and BJ have them coming out, but I bet they are over a grand.
    Analog is great, just don't ask how much :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I'm such a delay whore. i have 3 delay pedals on my pedal board. A boss DM-3(analog), a boss DD-3(digital), and a boss DD-20 Giga Delay.
  • I'm such a delay whore. i have 3 delay pedals on my pedal board. A boss DM-3(analog), a boss DD-3(digital), and a boss DD-20 Giga Delay.

DAMN!! YOU GOT A DM-3?!?! THEY DONT MAKE EM ANYMORE! fuck u! lol
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    DAMN!! YOU GOT A DM-3?!?! THEY DONT MAKE EM ANYMORE! fuck u! lol

Thank god for Ebay. :)

Call me Omar Rodriguez Lopez Jr.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It depends on the music and the application. Two very different sounds.

I like using Echoplex's if for no other reason than the gain they add...even when you're not using the echo. They do something pleasing to single coil tone.

I like the Binson Echorec for it's vibe...like the echoplex...nothing sounds quite like it.

I like the original SIB Echo-Drive for a number of reasons as well.

I've done some wild shit with a Digitech digital delay, as well as the new giga-delay...both very cool.

I am saving my pennies for an Echozar now.
  • FNYNKEZ wrote:
    I've yet to find a Delay I'm really happy with. But I tend to favor the Analog over than the Digital. It tends to have less effect on the overall tone. Digital gives me a tinny sound which can drive you nuts.
    Ive never had a tone problem with the DD-6 and i imagine the DD-3 is the same way.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm mostly a digital guy. I love the sound of some analog delays, but I really prefer the preciseness of digital. Reliable tap tempo's are great, too. Overall, I don't want my delay to have any tonal value at all, and digital is better at passing the signal uncolored. But analog is great for funky sounds. I'd love to have a pedal with the sonic character of a Memory Man but with the dependability and tap of a digital. Oh wait, that's the DL-4.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'm such a delay whore. i have 3 delay pedals on my pedal board. A boss DM-3(analog), a boss DD-3(digital), and a boss DD-20 Giga Delay.

I'm a delay whore too. I have a DD5 and an Akai Headrush. I want to get a Boss loop station.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"

I've got the DD-20 as well. I like it better than my old BOSS GT-5 delays, and my Ibanez digital delay, but I have the worst time programming the delay time. I guess I just suck. I mainly use the analog, and the warp for when I play an Immortality solo.
    I just picked up the Line 6DL4 Delay Modulator. Awesome! Great Analoig and DIgital Delay. Also a really cool reverse delay, and some other delay types. A bit expensive but really worth it.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    FNYNKEZ wrote:
    I just picked up the Line 6DL4 Delay Modulator. Awesome! Great Analoig and DIgital Delay. Also a really cool reverse delay, and some other delay types. A bit expensive but really worth it.

Is there an echo in here?

(wait for it... wait...)

I actually talked with a guy high up in the Line 6 company this weekend on an ill-fated plane trip (7 fucking hours, Paco, in your fine airport), really cool guy. The gear is first and formost, but it's nice to know who's making the stuff you're spending cash on.

Anyone considering dropping serious cash on a good delay needs to at least demo the DL-4. If you play it and don't buy it, I'd be surprised.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.