I Need Some Suggestions

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need some suggestions on pedals...

i got rid of my DS-2, and im currently getting rid of my TS9

so now all i have is the overdrive on my amp, which is great for my strat, but not as well for my SG...but anyway

i basicly use my amp OD for more higher gain songs...

I just need a pedal or 2 to be recomended for something not really used for hard and high gain alternative/grunge/punk sounds...yet i would like to find something for my SG

i was looking at:
Boss BD-2 (keeley mod maybe?)
Maxon SD-9
Marshall GV-2

i think the price range would be around 100$
just trying to get some xmas ideas ;)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I need some suggestions on pedals...

i got rid of my DS-2, and im currently getting rid of my TS9

so now all i have is the overdrive on my amp, which is great for my strat, but not as well for my SG...but anyway

i basicly use my amp OD for more higher gain songs...

I just need a pedal or 2 to be recomended for something not really used for hard and high gain alternative/grunge/punk sounds...yet i would like to find something for my SG

i was looking at:
    Boss BD-2 (keeley mod maybe?)
    Maxon SD-9
    Marshall GV-2

i think the price range would be around 100$
    just trying to get some xmas ideas ;)

Have you thought about a boost pedal? The twin 60 from Lovepedal is perfect if you like the tone of your amp as it adds little color and it is in your price range. It is a twin channel boost, see lovepedal.com for some info, good news is I will sell you mine :)
    If you want a true OD pedal check out the tonefactor hellbilly, it is fantastic.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Paul Cochranes Timmy, but it will take you a while to get it.

J, how much is the twin 60 going for, I need one too I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I think I paid 175 for it, used it 3 times and I will let it go for 150 or there about. It does have a wait list ;)

http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=hellbilly

Check the above link, it is a great pedal.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    got to sell the dd and DL4 after that I'm down unless I start itching for a fuzz which I'm sure you can help me with too, you're practically a dealer now. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    got to sell the dd and DL4 after that I'm down unless I start itching for a fuzz which I'm sure you can help me with too, you're practically a dealer now. :D

LOL, I can probably help ya ;)
    Maybe you can trade them in at GC for something? My teacher gets fairly good deals from them on trades.

The sybil is a great fuzz, I can just put it away for you. No problem.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    Have you thought about a boost pedal? The twin 60 from Lovepedal is perfect if you like the tone of your amp as it adds little color and it is in your price range. It is a twin channel boost, see lovepedal.com for some info, good news is I will sell you mine :)
    If you want a true OD pedal check out the tonefactor hellbilly, it is fantastic.

I saw that, but I don't know

i love the sounds of the Eternity and MagicBoy from Love Pedal!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I saw that, but I don't know

i love the sounds of the Eternity and MagicBoy from Love Pedal!!

if you like the tone of your amp cranked, then the Twin 60 is for you. If you hate the sound of your amp cranked then check out a ton of OD pedals until you find the tone you are looking for.

What amp is this for again?

I use 2 boost pedals in my chain which remain on all the time, one is a boost with eq and the other is a colored boost ( your typical one knob pedal). The tone I prefer is a clean amp just about to break up. I can then kick on a number of OD pedals to get me the tone I am looking for, small amp OD, VOX tone, High gain, smooth lead, fuzz. I have found that my fuzz pedals like to be stacked and sound much better going into a light OD pedal.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    if you like the tone of your amp cranked, then the Twin 60 is for you. If you hate the sound of your amp cranked then check out a ton of OD pedals until you find the tone you are looking for.

What amp is this for again?

I use 2 boost pedals in my chain which remain on all the time, one is a boost with eq and the other is a colored boost ( your typical one knob pedal). The tone I prefer is a clean amp just about to break up. I can then kick on a number of OD pedals to get me the tone I am looking for, small amp OD, VOX tone, High gain, smooth lead, fuzz. I have found that my fuzz pedals like to be stacked and sound much better going into a light OD pedal.

Traynor ycv40wr

i do like my OD a lot, its perfect for my strat
    i think a sonic distortion would be great for my SG as well as a BD for my strat as well
    Traynor ycv40wr

i do like my OD a lot, its perfect for my strat
    i think a sonic distortion would be great for my SG as well as a BD for my strat as well

6L6's right? What kind of OD do you like? Punk is what ever the hell you want, rock/grunge you could do a big muff all the way to a TS which you don't like :)

I think the one pedal that would solve it all is the DRD from BJf. I would save up for a little bit and buy that. I can get you a good price on it as well.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    6L6's right? What kind of OD do you like? Punk is what ever the hell you want, rock/grunge you could do a big muff all the way to a TS which you don't like :)

I think the one pedal that would solve it all is the DRD from BJf. I would save up for a little bit and buy that. I can get you a good price on it as well.

5881's in the YCV40
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    5881's in the YCV40

Can you swap the tubes?
    I might start there.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    Can you swap the tubes?
    I might start there.

I'd rather not

I think I'm just going to experiment but I'm deffinantly getting a BD-2 for my strat as well....Is it really worth the extra 70$ for Keeley's mod?
  • Is it really worth the extra 70$ for Keeley's mod?
    Why don't you get a stock one first and see what you think. You can always send it in if you're not satisfied (it's a great stock pedal).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV