p-90 question

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking of putting Fralins p-90s into my SG Special. My question is that if I buy a pickguard that holds p-90s will the Fralins still fit? I think i remember someone saying it didn't, i just want to make sure

"Gibson style braided leads or two conductor shielded leads"

which would you recomend?

i also do not understand this 10%, 15%, 20% garbage as well...could someone explain that as well?

i am thinking of doing this because my birthday is pretty soon and im asking for everyone in the family to chip in to buy me an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard where I would switch the pups to '57 classics

any info would be great
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you'd have to route the body slightly to fit the P90s into the humbucker slots. the P90s are slightly wider.

the % thing is overwind/underwind which has a bearing on the overall character of each pick up. overwinds are darker and higher output.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    i think the best way to go, would be to try the Fralin P-92's...(i think there called that) or the Duncan Phat Cats...Both are humbucker sized, P90's so they would drop right in, no need to route the body, or get a new pickguard...

However, the soapbars do look a million times better...So its kinda of a sticky situation....No route and no new pickgaurd with P90 tone, or do the whole 9 yards and get the P90 tone and killer soapbar look??...Obviously, routing the body would be something that would hurt resale value....
  • WES wrote:
    i think the best way to go, would be to try the Fralin P-92's...(i think there called that) or the Duncan Phat Cats...Both are humbucker sized, P90's so they would drop right in, no need to route the body, or get a new pickguard...

However, the soapbars do look a million times better...So its kinda of a sticky situation....No route and no new pickgaurd with P90 tone, or do the whole 9 yards and get the P90 tone and killer soapbar look??...Obviously, routing the body would be something that would hurt resale value....

the duncan phat cats i was looking at as well as the P-94s from Gibson

maybe in a few years ill just get an SG classic :D

i think in about 2 weeks ill have a Fulltone OCD and a Ibanez Artcore added to the rig
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I found this article months ago researching this exact thing, for no reason whatsoever as I don't have an SG!

http://www.everythingsg.com/upgrades.htm
  • moster78 wrote:
    I found this article months ago researching this exact thing, for no reason whatsoever as I don't have an SG!

http://www.everythingsg.com/upgrades.htm

that's an amazing site

what i think I am going to do is put in phat cats or p94s
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    THe Z 90's from Harmonic Design are another option as well

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/gibsons.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i have a blue/teal flip-flop like ed's that i won't be happy with unless i get the fralin's in there. after reading that article, i'm leaning more towards selling it and hunting down a townshend signature. that article made it sound like a real delicate process.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    i have a blue/teal flip-flop like ed's that i won't be happy with unless i get the fralin's in there. after reading that article, i'm leaning more towards selling it and hunting down a townshend signature. that article made it sound like a real delicate process.

You could always have someone that knows their stuff do it for you.
  • i have a blue/teal flip-flop like ed's that i won't be happy with unless i get the fralin's in there. after reading that article, i'm leaning more towards selling it and hunting down a townshend signature. that article made it sound like a real delicate process.

i have the same and i wanted the fralins but im thinking of keeping it and getting a elitist Les Paul standard with 57 classics and waiting another year or 2 for an sg classic
    i dont want to hurt the value of the guitar as well
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i have a blue/teal flip-flop like ed's that i won't be happy with unless i get the fralin's in there. after reading that article, i'm leaning more towards selling it and hunting down a townshend signature. that article made it sound like a real delicate process.

mike Lull could do it for you. If it is done by a professional builder it shouldn't hurt the value, especially since you could probably sell the thing to some other Pearl Jam nut.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    mike Lull could do it for you. If it is done by a professional builder it shouldn't hurt the value, especially since you could probably sell the thing to some other Pearl Jam nut.

lol...put the Who sticker on it, and someone here would eat it up.

I DEMAND PICS! :mad:

Please

I really like those. My first choice for an SG.
  • moster78 wrote:
    You could always have someone that knows their stuff do it for you.

oh for sure. i'd never attempt that myself! :)
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Another vote for the Fralin Split Singles. They're wonderful pickups. I just had a set installed in a guitar I had built for me...sick.