D - 9 (3rd Finger)
G - 9 (3rd Finger)

some people use 3 fingers
ex:
A - 7 (1st Finger)
D - 9 (3rd Finger)
G - 9 (4th Finger)

what do you use?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I use three fingers... I just don't have the strength in two fingers to play it... plus the action is really high on my guitar so I need a good bit of pressure on the strings!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • 2...ewwww....I used to use 2 fingers when I was starting out playing guitar, 3 is just easier and you can add variations and such. I will use 2 if I'm playing a simpler power chord with just the root and the fifth...or as I call it...the Metallica-form-powerchord.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I do it with three, that way if I need to add my middle finger to the fourth string down I can. Plus I just plain suck at barring chords to begin with.
  • 3 fingers here, pointer ring and pinky. I think it would make you a slopier player to play them with 2 fingers. Like not enough pressure would cause buzzing and stuff sometimes.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I use 3 fingers too. 2 doesn't allow any versatility at all.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • i just tried 3 fingers, i find 3 fingers harder but its easier to fit your middle finger in
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I use three. It's easier, then, to switch to octaves as a start to a solo.
  • i use three.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • three. not only is it easyer to use your middle finger but i also find it easyer to switch to other chords as well.

my freind uses 2 and he seems very sloppy with his chords. but im sure every1 is different.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
    I use three as well. It's the...

E - 0
    B - 0
    G - 4
    D - 4
    A - 4
    E - 2

...types that really kill me. I just butcher any chord that requires my ring finger to press 3 strings.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I use two, leaves more fingers for variations and rhtyhm playing (ala Chuck Berry or Keith Richards) adding with your pinky I use my pointer and middle finger... then STRETCH with the pinky to add

Like in A
    E - 5
    B - 5
    G - x
    D - 7 h9p h10p
    A - 7
    E - 5

or use my pointer and ring and really stretch for the variations on the D string

E - 5
    B - 5
    G - 6
    D - 7
    A - 7
    E - 5

I typically only play the high E and B strings when wanting to accentuate the high end... when I am singing, I rarely bother. Just get the rhythm going...
    There's No Code.
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. If I'm just playing power chords, like an A5, B5, etc. I use my pointer and pinky. It's just comfortable.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    it all depends upon where i'm coming from and where i'm going to on the fretboard.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    depends on what I'm playing. Sometimes I use two (pointer and pinky) others I use 3 or even four. I all depends on on how I want the chord to ring out.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • i dont use them a lot but when i do i use 3 fingers.

it makes a clearer sound and its easier to slide up and down accuratley.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    I usually use 2 since I find it easier. I only use 3 when the song is a little difficult.
  • 3, eventhough i play Bb with 2 most of the time, sounds better for whatever reason
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • 57Goldtop wrote:
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. If I'm just playing power chords, like an A5, B5, etc. I use my pointer and pinky. It's just comfortable.

thats how my brother does it. and trust me hes a damn good gutairist. i love to listen to him blast the alive solo or yellow ledbetter...
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • if im playing mindless generic rock i use 2 fingers (index and pinky) however if a little flair and variation are needed then ill use 3 fingers and leave the pinky for adding in little fills and wotnot...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Thats wild man, i could never use just my index and pinky, where would the other fingers go.

Each to his own i suppose, the guy who taught me my first barre chords taught me to do it with two fingers, i used tio but as i progress and needed the lower strings, i started to use three and my middle to hammer on if i needed.

but hey, i suck at guitar.
  • well when i say 2 fingers i mean Index and Ring...