Amazing Bass Player

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Yep, he has been around for quite a long time. He is the bassist in Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.... He was voted the bassist of the year many times by bass player mag.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • yeah i could do that, i just dont wanna ;)
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Wooten is one of the all-time greats. I think some people go a little overboard thinking he is far and away better than anyone else out there, but the man is certainly a bass guitar god in every sense.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Wooten is one of the all-time greats. I think some people go a little overboard thinking he is far and away better than anyone else out there, but the man is certainly a bass guitar god in every sense.

My favorite bass player is Bill Sheehan from Steve Vai's band. His home town is actually 10 minutes away from me, so when I saw that he was playing here and I always listened to him, I thought I had to check out the show. I tell you he played 3 hours, only 3 songs had vocals. But Bill was fucking insane, he uses a double-necked bass a lot and goes crazy. There is another guy named Tony MacAlpine, he plays guitar and keyboards in Vai's band. In my opinion, he is better than Vai, when he rips, he tears!

By the way, I tried "sweeping" today, its so fuckin hard!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    my bad ass bass player props go to:

Les Claypool
    Flea
    Victor Whooten
    Bootsy Collins

They are my faves.

Edit to add: Geddy Lee
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    My favorite bass player is Bill Sheehan from Steve Vai's band. His home town is actually 10 minutes away from me, so when I saw that he was playing here and I always listened to him, I thought I had to check out the show. I tell you he played 3 hours, only 3 songs had vocals. But Bill was fucking insane, he uses a double-necked bass a lot and goes crazy. There is another guy named Tony MacAlpine, he plays guitar and keyboards in Vai's band. In my opinion, he is better than Vai, when he rips, he tears!

By the way, I tried "sweeping" today, its so fuckin hard!

Sheehan and MacAlpine are giants no doubt.

Stu Hamm is the man.

http://www.dreamt.org/spinfrog/Bass-Tunes.zip if you are bored.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Yep, he has been around for quite a long time. He is the bassist in Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.... He was voted the bassist of the year many times by bass player mag.

indeed.

i had the pleasure of seeing him live with bela fleck and the flecktones, very cool.

besides the obvious choice of jaco - i enjoy marcus miller quite a bit too.
    my hubby is a long-time bass player...and he completely worships jaco, flea and geddy lee.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• C'mon admit it. Who tried playing amazing grace after that, on guitar or bass. All of you I bet(me included).
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    JPJ from Led Zep - better than any
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • neoneo Posts: 89
    i am an amazing bass player.:cool:
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    John Deacon - Queen
  • C'mon admit it. Who tried playing amazing grace after that, on guitar or bass. All of you I bet(me included).

maybe......
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • neoneo Posts: 89
    69charger wrote:
    John Deacon - Queen

good answer.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Not so much as a player, but as a composer of lines: Roger Waters (although still a good player).

Jaco still takes the cake for me.

Also, P-nut from 311.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • my vote for best would go to billy sheehan. that guy does shit with the bass i havent seen before!!

i actually already had played Amazing Grace on guitar back in November last year, but haven't played it since i should try it again, that version i played back than was a very basic version though, nothing compared to this one really.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • corycory Posts: 736
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

I had to share this in case you haven't seen it. Maybe the best in the world. My apologies to the Claypool faithful. Around 1:20 is when it gets ridiculous.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • In addition to those others listed:

Cliff Burton
    Steve Harris

...and who can forget Jeff?! Jeff is fucking amazing. He's not super crazy like any of the above, but goddamn he writes the perfect line to every song.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'll take Wooten over Sheehan any day, just so much groove.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I feel obligated to mention Flea. I don't know bass, but I know he's good.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    I have several of Wooten's solo albums and several where he was a band member.

This guy is amazing!

If you haven't heard some of his solo albums, go get yourself some.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    he is one of the best around.
    Check him out with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Simply amazing & jaw dropping

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)