Rearview Mirror (quite funny)

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I go to this guitar shop for guitar lessons every monday night. And there is this guy who is "head" of the guitar/effect area. When you first meet him and I still thought this until today, he comes off across as a really good guitar player that you would like be honored to hear.

I'm looking at basses (my friends and I are all contributing to buy my best friend a new bass) and I walk over to ask him a question on the pricing and such. So the "head" guy from the drummer department is standing there and hes like yo man I can't wait for the new Pearl Jam album. And the guitar guy is like "Oh Man yeah!! I was listening to Vs. all day today, I forgot how good RVM is" and the drummer dude is like Play It!! and hes like uh ok...and he was listening and couldn't figure it out.

So im like dude im a huge PJ fan so I know how to play it, hes like sweet show me...so i played the open A and D way (instead of A and D from the 5th frets). And he's trying to play it, and HE CANT...im like dude are you serious its one of the easiest songs ive ever played...and hes like I have to practice it!!...so then Im showing him the power chords for the chorus, and it took him like 10-15 seconds to position his hands for a powerchord!!

So this goes to show you...dont judge a book by its cover
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So I go to this guitar shop for guitar lessons every monday night. And there is this guy who is "head" of the guitar/effect area. When you first meet him and I still thought this until today, he comes off across as a really good guitar player that you would like be honored to hear.

I'm looking at basses (my friends and I are all contributing to buy my best friend a new bass) and I walk over to ask him a question on the pricing and such. So the "head" guy from the drummer department is standing there and hes like yo man I can't wait for the new Pearl Jam album. And the guitar guy is like "Oh Man yeah!! I was listening to Vs. all day today, I forgot how good RVM is" and the drummer dude is like Play It!! and hes like uh ok...and he was listening and couldn't figure it out.

So im like dude im a huge PJ fan so I know how to play it, hes like sweet show me...so i played the open A and D way (instead of A and D from the 5th frets). And he's trying to play it, and HE CANT...im like dude are you serious its one of the easiest songs ive ever played...and hes like I have to practice it!!...so then Im showing him the power chords for the chorus, and it took him like 10-15 seconds to position his hands for a powerchord!!

Lol...nice story man

I always find that the guys in the guitar store near me are dicks.

They look down at you cause they work there and i'm sure they're good but i hate their attitudes......i mean sometimes i hate going in there and asking questions because they make me feel like an idiot cause i'm not Jimi Hendrix.

I just wish they'd be more helpful and realize that some people are still learning shit and that beginners are allowed in the store.

Lol...sorry for my rant, this is just my guitar store story.

It's true though about not judging a book by it's cover..... :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Lol...nice story man

I always find that the guys in the guitar store near me are dicks.

They look down at you cause they work there and i'm sure they're good but i hate their attitudes......i mean sometimes i hate going in there and asking questions because they make me feel like an idiot cause i'm not Jimi Hendrix.

I just wish they'd be more helpful and realize that some people are still learning shit and that beginners are allowed in the store.

Lol...sorry for my rant, this is just my guitar store story.

It's true though about not judging a book by it's cover..... :)

I hear ya buddy. Music store clerks are generally dickheads. There's only one place I go to where the guys are cool. I try my best to buy all my stuff there. It must have been nice to take them down a peg :D
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • you don't get jobs like that for being good, you get them for having connections through your parents

nice story. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    So I go to this guitar shop for guitar lessons every monday night. And there is this guy who is "head" of the guitar/effect area. When you first meet him and I still thought this until today, he comes off across as a really good guitar player that you would like be honored to hear.

and you were like WOAH and he was like ok and i was like i want cheese and he was like here and he handed me some cheese and i was like thanks and he was like your welcome and i was like im gonna go
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • sj_2150 wrote:
    and you were like WOAH and he was like ok and i was like i want cheese and he was like here and he handed me some cheese and i was like thanks and he was like your welcome and i was like im gonna go

This is starting to sound like the begining of a Keanu Reeves movie.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

lol, thats pretty damn funny

all4
  • They look down at you cause they work there and i'm sure they're good but i hate their attitudes......i mean sometimes i hate going in there and asking questions because they make me feel like an idiot cause i'm not Jimi Hendrix.

I used to feel that way when I would go into Guitar Center. They really have a way of making you feel like a walking shit pile if you're a beginner. Either that or you feel like walking shit pile later when you find out that what they sold you is also a pile of shit. I only buy my stuff form a music store called Marshall Music in Michigan. It's funny. There are 4 people in my band including me. All 3 of the other guys worked at Marshall Music. One of them just got hired to the pro-audio dept. as a manager at Guitar Center. Now I'm looking for a part-time job since I'm in school and I just put in an app. for sales at Marshall. And now I'm just rambling to hear myself type.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • They look down at you cause they work there and i'm sure they're good but i hate their attitudes......i mean sometimes i hate going in there and asking questions because they make me feel like an idiot cause i'm not Jimi Hendrix.

I used to feel that way when I would go into Guitar Center. They really have a way of making you feel like a walking shit pile if you're a beginner. Either that or you feel like walking shit pile later when you find out that what they sold you is also a pile of shit. I only buy my stuff form a music store called Marshall Music in Michigan. It's funny. There are 4 people in my band including me. All 3 of the other guys worked at Marshall Music. One of them just got hired to the pro-audio dept. as a manager at Guitar Center. Now I'm looking for a part-time job since I'm in school and I just put in an app. for sales at Marshall. And now I'm just rambling to hear myself type.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete one of them.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591

I don't know, when I went to buy my first electric at Guitar Center I was a total noob. Everyone was really helpful, not pressuring or demeaning in any way. I was sitting there just playing away on my future Strat for at least a half hour before a salesman came over to assist. All in all, a good buying experience. But I'm sure every place is different.
  • K I am gonna have to defend the store guy here.

I can play the pentatonic pretty fast and I am learning how to improvise pretty well. I can play sweet child o mine with my eyes closed behind my head. There is alot more I can do pretty well. I am not good, but I am a competent guitar player. Those examples were just to show that I should be able to be able to reasonably play any not too difficult song.

My point then is that if someone were to go up to me and try and show me to play a song they just wrote in power chords I would be all anxious and fumbling and very slow to pick it up no matter how easy it was. I mean, I'd be pretty retarded about it. I don't think its a very important skill to be able to quickly learn a new song, as in quickly on the spot. I say this because writing cool riffs, and composing well is something that is far more crucial to be an original musician. For all know Johnny Greenwood doesn't know how to play any song other than his own, and improvising.

Wait, I shouldn't claim the skill of quickly being able to pick something up is worthless, or even not a great skill. I mean if I was in a bar band and made my living playing the music of other people it seems like I would need to be able to do that to make a living. It's an impressive thing to do, but not necessarily reflective of the talent or musical ability of a player.

I obviously have to maintain this position, otherwise I am talentless :)

Also, RVM is a very difficult song before you know it. I mean thats a speedy riff and its the kind of riff that seems very easy after you can do it, but very hard to pick up.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • now the opposite happened to me the other day.

in our 2 1/2 hour break between classes and our first exam tuesday (we get an extra hour to drive into the city :) ) me and 3 of my friends stopped at duncan music.

we went in the backroom where the soundbooth is (the door didn't close all the way so it didn't make much of a difference...) and just picked up acoustic guitars and started playing.

the cashiers and people kept walking by the see who the hell was doing that... i don't think they were used to hearing people play in unison.

we did. . . Wishlist, Alive (just me and another guy for this one), Mellissa (allman bros), and some more i forgot.

felt good to do that :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    moster78 wrote:
    I don't know, when I went to buy my first electric at Guitar Center I was a total noob. Everyone was really helpful, not pressuring or demeaning in any way. I was sitting there just playing away on my future Strat for at least a half hour before a salesman came over to assist. All in all, a good buying experience. But I'm sure every place is different.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience with guitar center too. I went to a local music store first, because I thought it would probably be better than Guitar Center, but after a few minutes there, I decided to head into G center. I was a total noob and I found the place to be more cozy, with a more personal feeling, and more friendly. Also, the assistance was outstanding. Overall, I had a very good shopping experience there :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪