Noise

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ummmmmm
im getting noise out of my clean channel....never got that before since ive had the amp, doesnt do it for the OD channel...just the clean

anyone know?
(could it be radio frequency? i got that sometimes on my old amp, but its wierd that its only on the clean channel, i used to only get it when i used my crybaby)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i get it all the time on my marshall.

maybe its one of those pedals you've got hooked through it?

i dunno...

when i get to the hum and noise prevention part of my recording class i'll get back to you... say.. november ish ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    check the preamp tubes dedicated to the clean channel.
  • It's probably a pedal. When I hook up my SD-1 and MXR D+, I can pick up radio. I use the MXR as a tuner. More output = different station. It truely is fucked up.
  • It's probably a pedal. When I hook up my SD-1 and MXR D+, I can pick up radio. I use the MXR as a tuner. More output = different station. It truely is fucked up.
    i get the radio with my wah if im in the right part of the house.

once i got "wouldn't it be nice" by the beach boys.. the whole thing, crystal clear.

amazing :)

"Make our day"
  • i get the radio with my wah if im in the right part of the house.

once i got "wouldn't it be nice" by the beach boys.. the whole thing, crystal clear.

amazing :)

Another thing that was messed up was when I had my amp up on a stand by my computer when I recording, one of the pedals would ampifly the wireless internet signals coming from the aparment building across the street. Luckily some of them weren't encrytped ;)
  • Another thing that was messed up was when I had my amp up on a stand by my computer when I recording, one of the pedals would ampifly the wireless internet signals coming from the aparment building across the street. Luckily some of them weren't encrytped ;)
    oo and if you point a remote control (Tv remote works best i think) at your pick ups and press a button you pick up the signal!

so fun!

"Make our day"
  • i dont have any pedals hooked up, just the amp and its footswitch, all my cables broke so i cant connect my pedals until i get some cables

yeah and when i check the tubes, what do i do? this is my first tube amp so i dunno shit
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • we're forgetting the most basic thing here: do you have humbuckers or single coils? it could just be some electromagnetic frequencies the pickups are picking up.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • we're forgetting the most basic thing here: do you have humbuckers or single coils? it could just be some electromagnetic frequencies the pickups are picking up.

single coil on the neck and middle...open coil humbucker on the bridge (fender fat strat)

but i was using the amp yesterday and the day before, didnt get it, just today...
  • hmmm, could be...

cables, pedal, tubes, guitar, single coils, radio frequency....
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • i can't help you much more with this...

but i will say that you should buy those little cords for connecting pedals..

you can get a 6 pack pretty cheap and i've never had any problems with them breaking or anything like that.

"Make our day"
  • single coil on the neck and middle...open coil humbucker on the bridge (fender fat strat)

but i was using the amp yesterday and the day before, didnt get it, just today...

Yeah but something in the surrounding enviroment could have changed. I hear that people in the middle of the country for instance don't get any noise, but if you live in the city your amp will be humming like crazy.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • "check the preamp tubes dedicated to the clean channel."

EX what do you mean by this? Do only certain preamp tubes get used for clean?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    "check the preamp tubes dedicated to the clean channel."

EX what do you mean by this? Do only certain preamp tubes get used for clean?

depends on the design i guess. the preamp paths are definitely different between the clean and drive channels. here's the traynor's block diagram:

http://yorkville.com/downloads/servman/smycv40.pdf

i'm no amp tech though.
  • Did you move it to somewhere with flourescent lights?

Maybe the tubes have have just been broken in a little more.
  • i think its radio frequency because it sropped yesterday and i got it again today...i moved it to another bedroom and there was less noise but still a little
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You said there is no noise on the clean channel?
    If there are no effect pedals and you are using a cable with no breaks then you have it narrowed down to the guitar or amp.
    Have you tried a different guitar first?
    If the noise is still there then look at the tubes first.
    Check for the following:
    Most tubes will go bad after a certain amount of time, how much? that depends on how much you play, for how long and how hard the amp is being pushed. The tubes will have a glow to them, they should be glowing, not completly red, but a slight glow. If you tap the tube you can sometimes get a noise out of them, lightly tap and see what happens. You could just swap out all the tubes and see what you get. There is a chance you have a crack in a sheilded cable somewhere along the chain.
    Best thing to do is get a scematic of you amp and figure out which tubes are responsible for which channels and do a little reverse engineering.

Sorry, I can't help you more then this, but I strongly suggest you leave in insides of amps to a pro since most of that stuff can kill you if you are not grounded or if you touch the wrong thing.

Make sure you only use one hand, and rubber sole shoes are a plus :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board