Played a 9 Song Set

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I tried something different Friday night. I played at a small pub (maybe about 40 people?) that was having 3 bands play. I signed up a week ago for it and I got a call thursday asking if I would do it.

Basically it was just me, my sg, and my amp. Just a solo set. It wasn't bad check out the set list:

Wash ~ PJ
I Wanna Be Sedated ~ Ramones
All Apologies ~ Nirvana
Immortality ~ PJ
Tangerine ~ Led Zeppelin*
Fake Plastic Trees ~ Radiohead
Wish You Were Here ~ Pink Floyd
Do The Evolution ~ PJ (!!!)
Rockin In The Free World ~ Neil Young

Tangerine I fucked up on twice, after the 2nd time I just stopped and said sorry for screwing up and that I knew I wasn't worth playing it. Now DTE!!! Oh man I turned it into a nice bluesy type of song. I played it all clean and slower paced, sounded fantastic. I had some sing alongs to I Wanna be Sedated, Wish You Were Here, and RITFW.

Overall it was pretty good, I got some feed back, basically the instrumental was really good but the vocals weren't that great. And I could tell my vocals weren't good because A) I know I can't sing B) during Wash I got some looks but I think since I rocked so fuckin hard people didn't care. LOL

It was an experience. It was really only 1 of 3 real sets that I have had. First time by myself. I would have played 2 or 3 of my own original songs but I didn't feel comfortable with the songs yet.

The main band played after me and they ended with Whole Lotta Love and for that song they got everyone that played to play it. And I joked saying I know how to play this song. Ha

:)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    That's pretty cool. I know I'd never be able to do that because I can't sing. I would never attempt to sing in front of people.

Sounds like it was fun.
  • That's awesome HHV!!

Good to hear....

I would love to do that one day, I've been rockin' so hard lately, I love it.

I'm loving my SD-1, I think that's why....mixing it with my DS-1 really rips too!!

Anyway, good stuff man.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • That's pretty cool. I know I'd never be able to do that because I can't sing. I would never attempt to sing in front of people.

Sounds like it was fun.

i felt that way too but once I had to sing RITFW at a school show, even though I sucked I knew people knew I sucked so it didn't matter for later on. That's why this year I did Bring It On Home and Last Kiss and sang both. I cant sing for shit but you just need confidence even if it osunds like shit.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    i felt that way too but once I had to sing RITFW at a school show, even though I sucked I knew people knew I sucked so it didn't matter for later on. That's why this year I did Bring It On Home and Last Kiss and sang both. I cant sing for shit but you just need confidence even if it osunds like shit.

In reality, most people could care less how 'professional' you sound. They care more about confidence and emotion than anything else. The only singing I've done is backup, but I think I might be willing to try some lead vocals.

And TMW, I'm happy to hear that you like the SD-1. It's definately going to remain on my board for a long time to come. Been a staple for 6 years, and I can't really see me taking it off. :)
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Nice set man, congrats! I have my little stint with my guitar teachers band in less than three weeks and I'm terrified! Its only 2 or 3 songs, but I'm still scared out of my mind.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Nice set man, congrats! I have my little stint with my guitar teachers band in less than three weeks and I'm terrified! Its only 2 or 3 songs, but I'm still scared out of my mind.

speaking of you...ha...I played a VPS in Amityville
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    RIFTW is a kick ass closer.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    speaking of you...ha...I played a VPS in Amityville

Cool deal. Amityville is one of those places I've always heard of, but have no clue where the hell it is!
  • moster78 wrote:
    Cool deal. Amityville is one of those places I've always heard of, but have no clue where the hell it is!

if you take montauk highway (main st) further west you will hit amityville....its after lindenhurst and copaigue...and its before massapequa
    if you take montauk highway (main st) further west you will hit amityville....its after lindenhurst and copaigue...and its before massapequa

Got ya, not that far at all.