Which Pedal?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well like I have said in other threads...im selling my DS-2 and i really have a so-so feeling on the TS9....i want something other than just my Amp OD

Here are the pedals I was looking at:

Pro Co Rat2 Distortion
Boss BD-2
Maxon Sonic Distortion

i play mostly classic rock, pearl jam (haha), punk

or if there are any other pedals that are within the price range, let me know :)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out some of michael ibrahim from Austrailias stuff too. Tell him what you want.

The Blues Pro is quality for 90 bucks, as is the Blues Boy for a touch more and the tube zone will get that tone. He's been experimenting with different IC's lately.

http://www.miaudio.com/

also The option 5 destination overdrive is worth a look and the Barber Direct Drive SS and The Burn Unit.

Also you can pick a Fulltone Distortion Plus up on Ebay for around that price range which might do you well once you get it dialed in.

I think you are looking for a little more gain and a little less Midrange. The Keeley BD2 might be exactly what you want in an od.

also this one and the sweetback driver from Nick Greer are cool.

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=DLIGgwAA1128459110&command=link--nggg
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I was actually looking at the Marshall GV-2 Guv'Nor Plus as well as the Marshall Bluesbreaker...sounds really sweet through the clips

yes i think the Keeley is exactly what i want but i just cant afford 150$

let me check out those other pedals though

yet i would love either the Eternity OD or the Magicboy Vibe from lovepedal....again too expensive
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I was actually looking at the Marshall GV-2 Guv'Nor Plus as well as the Marshall Bluesbreaker...sounds really sweet through the clips

yes i think the Keeley is exactly what i want but i just cant afford 150$

let me check out those other pedals though

yet i would love either the Eternity OD or the Magicboy Vibe from lovepedal....again too expensive

The eternity is incredible but really expensive. I like the Guvnor very much moreso than the Bluesbreaker. I've seen a few folks gig with that guvnor and blues jr's with V30's. It's got some good flexibility when it comes to control so you can dial in a good tone with it.

One other one is the old maroon metal big box Danelectro Fab Tone. It's awesome, you can probably find one for about 30 bucks used.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ill wait a month and check ebay for any Keeley BD-2 that show up (right now they just have one for 150$)....i saw a couple GV's and BB's on ebay for a low price, im going to watch them

i wonder if i should sell my TS9 yet....
    it does give me a real nice sound for some zeppelin songs and gives me the exact In My Tree tone from Eds guitar...but im not going to use it for just a few songs, you know? maybe ill get what i want first and see what i want to do with it
    ill wait a month and check ebay for any Keeley BD-2 that show up (right now they just have one for 150$)....i saw a couple GV's and BB's on ebay for a low price, im going to watch them

i wonder if i should sell my TS9 yet....
    it does give me a real nice sound for some zeppelin songs and gives me the exact In My Tree tone from Eds guitar...but im not going to use it for just a few songs, you know? maybe ill get what i want first and see what i want to do with it

definately flip it. if it's not you it's not you and there are a million other varieties to try. No use having money just sit there not being used.
  • I'm by far no pro, but I really like my BD-2 (stock, not modded)!
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    definately flip it. if it's not you it's not you and there are a million other varieties to try. No use having money just sit there not being used.

well, before you actually listen to Pac' ... listen to what he told me, first.

i was asking about distortion sounds a few days back, and he turned me on to the (maybe incredibly obvious) idea of pairing up, or chaining, distortions & OD pedals.

Maybe the TS9 isn't a thick enough sound for you, and owning one myself, i can say that it doesn't always cut it for me, either.

it's mostly a gain pedal ... it won't give you that thick dark sound ...
    and neither will my damn Big Muff ...

however! when i run my Big Muff ON TOP OF my TS9 it sounds immense!
    it's like a big muff on steroids ... since the signal going in is already over driven and crackly ... muff just adds this thick layer of drippy sustain on top and it comes out sounding sabbath-tacular!

just my spin on Pac's 2 cents!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • well, before you actually listen to Pac' ... listen to what he told me, first.

i was asking about distortion sounds a few days back, and he turned me on to the (maybe incredibly obvious) idea of pairing up, or chaining, distortions & OD pedals.

Maybe the TS9 isn't a thick enough sound for you, and owning one myself, i can say that it doesn't always cut it for me, either.

it's mostly a gain pedal ... it won't give you that thick dark sound ...
    and neither will my damn Big Muff ...

however! when i run my Big Muff ON TOP OF my TS9 it sounds immense!
    it's like a big muff on steroids ... since the signal going in is already over driven and crackly ... muff just adds this thick layer of drippy sustain on top and it comes out sounding sabbath-tacular!

just my spin on Pac's 2 cents!

when i do my Zeppelin things i run the TS9 over my OD on my amp (which is thicker) and it just gives so much feedback its rediculous and i only have the gain on my ts9 at 5
  • when i do my Zeppelin things i run the TS9 over my OD on my amp (which is thicker) and it just gives so much feedback its rediculous and i only have the gain on my ts9 at 5
    maybe try a diff. combination.
    do you have a fuzz?

or ...
    ISP Decimator Noise Reduction
    http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/ISPDecimator.html

i want that so bad, myself!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    http://home.earthlink.net/~dr711/id18.html

BJ's pedal stackers guide. Should help.
  • maybe try a diff. combination.
    do you have a fuzz?

or ...
    ISP Decimator Noise Reduction
    http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/ISPDecimator.html

i want that so bad, myself!

well if i get a BD-2 if the gain passes 7 it will be fuzz like