How Much?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
How much would it cost for a tech to put in 3 preamp tubes (Tung-sol 12AX7) and 2 poweramp tubes (winged c's) into my Traynor YCV40WR?

I got the tubes already

PS: my Fender Fat Strat is still for sale, I just restrung it
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Does your strat have a maple or rosewood neck?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    How much would it cost for a tech to put in 3 preamp tubes (Tung-sol 12AX7) and 2 poweramp tubes (winged c's) into my Traynor YCV40WR?

I got the tubes already

my frhiens been lokinf for a new stratn how uch?

btw, shjorry about typig, busted 2 fibgers tday:(
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    you can do the preamp tubes yourself. No bias adjustments needed.

A tech shouldn't charge more than $75 to swap power tubes and adjust bias for you...especially for a pair. A quad might take a bit more work...but not much.
  • How much would it cost for a tech to put in 3 preamp tubes (Tung-sol 12AX7) and 2 poweramp tubes (winged c's) into my Traynor YCV40WR?

I got the tubes already

That Traynor is self biasing (pretty sure). You can do them all your self.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • That Traynor is self biasing (pretty sure). You can do them all your self.

I have no idea how to do that, lol

for the strat:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=212724&page=4&highlight=fender+fat+strat

I'm lowering my price down to 300 shipped without setup, 315 shipped with setup
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I have no idea how to do that, lol

for the strat:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=212724&page=4&highlight=fender+fat+strat

I'm lowering my price down to 300 shipped without setup, 315 shipped with setup

friend loked at rob cray strat 2 day-gregt, but wbats humbucker guitaor. hesl check the sinte 2morro-AI here
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If you've already got the tubes, why not save yourself some $$$ and put them in yourself. Honestly, most techs just laugh when people bring them amps to re-tube (unless it needs to be re-biased), because it's just sooo super easy $$ made for zero effort.
    Okay, lets just put it this way, would you call an electrician to replace the light bulbs in your house when they go bad - it's the same thing, so why pay someone top $$$ to do something soo easy.
    Literally, just gently pull the old tube down and out, and replace it, then move on to the next one - just match the tube value you're removing with the same kind of new tube (they've all got little pins on the bottom, just match up the pins with the empty holes). Also, our hands have oil on them, so I'd say just make sure you handle the new tubes with an oil free cloth, or easier, you can just wipe them down when you're done putting them in (note, what happens to oil when it heats up??? Remember that tubes heat up when the amp's on, so just wipe them down after you handle them).
    It's very easy and should seriously take you all of about 5-minutes "at most" to replace them. Hope this helps - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Alrite I'll try it :)

How do I find out if I don't need to adjust the bias of the power amp tubes?
  • Alrite I'll try it :)

How do I find out if I don't need to adjust the bias of the power amp tubes?

Check the manual on that amp or go to the Traynor web site, I'm about 99% sure it's self biasing. It's a Traynor thing that's sort of impressive.

I'm a advocate of getting the amp rebias'd each time. I do it myself of course. Some people don't think it's as necessary to rebias each time, but it is.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Traynors are self biasing.

How can you tell when your preamp tubes are gonna go? Its obvious with the power tubes. Is it just as obvious for the preamp tubes.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Traynors are self biasing.

How can you tell when your preamp tubes are gonna go? Its obvious with the power tubes. Is it just as obvious for the preamp tubes.

Majority is on your ear. Some people like warn out pre-amp tubes, others don't. Mind don't start sounding good to me until after 20 hours or so. Of course if one fails, you will know.

Traynor amps are made by Yorkville, so though they're not a real high end amp company, in regard to bias they are similar to Mesa Boogie - Traynor has auto-matching tube circuits, which maintains bias balance as tubes age ensuring hum free performance throughout tube life - so basically, don't worry about the bias - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

also, when pre-amp tubes start going the amp starts getting a little more noisy - you can start to hear microfonics, and squeals, the amp seems to have less definition, tone starts to fade, volume loss, etc, etc.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Traynor amps are made by Yorkville, so though they're not a real high end amp company, in regard to bias they are similar to Mesa Boogie - Traynor has auto-matching tube circuits, which maintains bias balance as tubes age ensuring hum free performance throughout tube life - so basically, don't worry about the bias - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

also, when pre-amp tubes start going the amp starts getting a little more noisy - you can start to hear microfonics, and squeals, the amp seems to have less definition, tone starts to fade, volume loss, etc, etc.

Could having bad power tubes cause the preamps to go bad. I am just wondering. My amp sounded alright, then it sound similar to a blown speaker in a way and the low end got really nasty sounding.

I know the power tubes were bad, but could I have overlooked the preamps. Hopefully the preamp tubes are fine, but time will tell.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

All that can come from power tubes too. Pre amp tubes last a long time.

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    A simple test for microphonic preamp tubes.

While the amp is on, take a pencil and tap the tube. If you can hear it though your amp, you have a microphonic tube, and you should replace it.

:)
  • I just replaced my power amp tubes, I can't tell the difference yet because family was over so I couldn't turn up the volume, tomorrow I will :D
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Could having bad power tubes cause the preamps to go bad. I am just wondering. My amp sounded alright, then it sound similar to a blown speaker in a way and the low end got really nasty sounding.

I know the power tubes were bad, but could I have overlooked the preamps. Hopefully the preamp tubes are fine, but time will tell.

Yeah - this has been covered by a few others, but pre-amp tubes (12AX7) can go bad (they generally last much longer than your power tubes). I generally try to keep a spare 12AX7 in my amp just in case.
    Remember that your V1 preamp tube (sometimes covered by a metal shield) takes the brunt of the power because it's the first tube in the chain, so if it's bad, that sound passes through all the other tubes, getting amplified each time.
    The V1 is usually the culprit for general noise problems, especially when both rhythm and lead modes are affected, or if the amp goes dead. Most problems of noise, poor tone, crackling or sputtering, loss of gain, excessive feedback and squealing are cause by a poor V1 tube.
    If you are in doubt, you should merely replace the preamp tubes one-at-a-time beginning with V1. If the replacement tube fails to cure the problem, put the original tube back into it's socket and go on to the next, this way you don't mix up the tubes. Generally, only this substitution method works for sure on bad preamp tubes.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've had some ongoing issues with my orange and tubes from power to preamp lately, same as Ian described.

I have a Tung sol in V2. But the EH in V1 didn't seat properly because it was a little too fat for the socket even though it felt like it was seated, it really wasn't and caused issues when it heated up. I've since pulled it for the original sovtek 12Ax7 LPS and it's been lovely, I need to order another tung sol.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • OMGGGGG MY TONEEEEEEEE :eek:

Jesus christ I have never heard my amp sound so fuckin good!! Running the OCD in front just made me cream myself!
  • OMGGGGG MY TONEEEEEEEE :eek:

Jesus christ I have never heard my amp sound so fuckin good!! Running the OCD in front just made me cream myself!

Face it, its the OCD!!!!