I Need Settings!!!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I love my clean channel, settings are perfect!

My overdrive...AHHHHH

sounds better on my SG than my strat...but still its not what i want...

i know i can make the over drive sound into something i like...

can anyone recomend me settings? (preferably gain 7.5 or higher)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• for me (and i make alterations depending on what/how i'm playing) its usually around....

treble: 7-9
    mid: 6-7
    bass: 6-8
    reverb: 4-6 (10 if i need that 'cha' to fill out spaces.. like in the wind cries mary's intro)

i never turn overdrive all the way up and i never turn all my settings all the way up.

that sounds like death (and not in a good way).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • This is the Traynor right?

If so,

Keep the treble low, maybe 3-4. Bass- 5-6, Mid- 6-7-8, depending on how your guitar responds.

Mids are crucial for good overdrive on the Traynor amps. I usually lay off the gain to 5-6 and add a OD box to push it a little bit more.

That will give you a nice bluesy overdrive.
  • This is the Traynor right?

If so,

Keep the treble low, maybe 3-4. Bass- 5-6, Mid- 6-7-8, depending on how your guitar responds.

Mids are crucial for good overdrive on the Traynor amps. I usually lay off the gain to 5-6 and add a OD box to push it a little bit more.

That will give you a nice bluesy overdrive.

i do that sometimes (with the overdrive box) but my Ts9 gives so much feedback its ridiculous

i want to get a Boss BD-2 and run that through half gain on the amp
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    Treble 7-9
    Mid 0
    Bass 5-7
    It's what I use, and seems to work.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • Kovo wrote:
    Treble 7-9
    Mid 0
    Bass 5-7
    It's what I use, and seems to work.

No offense, but...

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*that's a bit of an exageration*

I'm a mids guy. It cuts through the mix and wails like you would not believe.

:)
  • i do that sometimes (with the overdrive box) but my Ts9 gives so much feedback its ridiculous

i want to get a Boss BD-2 and run that through half gain on the amp

What I do is crank up the amp with these settings. Bass-6 Mids-7 Treble-3 Gain-5 Volume-7. Then I adjust the master volume. This give a Stone like rhythm distortion (No Code era). I through my Boss SD-1 (overdrive) into the mix and set it's gain at about 5, volume at 6 and tone at about 4. When you put this on it will feedback if you're not careful.

If you can learn to control and manipulate this feedback, you can get amazing McCready lead tones. I get fairly close the Van Halen's Brown sound like this. Just messing with the guitar electronics will give unlimited tonal opportunity. You'll cut through the mix better and at loud volumes this only gets better.

• Van Halen (as well as all hair metal bands) have TERRIBLE tone.

unless they were attempting to give me a migraine while simulatneously giving me a stomach ache.

terrible.

ugh.

but you're right about the mids..

if you're going to play any lead work AT ALL you need the mids.

"Make our day"
  • Van Halen (as well as all hair metal bands) have TERRIBLE tone.

unless they were attempting to give me a migraine while simulatneously giving me a stomach ache.

terrible.

ugh.

but you're right about the mids..

if you're going to play any lead work AT ALL you need the mids.

Van Halen's tone is totally different than all the other hair metal bands. All the hair bands just used a lot of treble, rack processors and high gain amps. Eddie used a Plexi marshall and his gain came from picking attack, not from the amp. If he wanted clean, he'd turn down the volume on his guitar.

I find it hard to believe that the "brown sound", which is heralded by many, including myself is anything like CC Deville or Mick Mars.

• Van Halen's tone is totally different than all the other hair metal bands. All the hair bands just used a lot of treble, rack processors and high gain amps. Eddie used a Plexi marshall and his gain came from picking attack, not from the amp. If he wanted clean, he'd turn down the volume on his guitar.

I find it hard to believe that the "brown sound", which is heralded by many, including myself is anything like CC Deville or Mick Mars.

i'll give VH credit that they were certainly the cream of the crop of hair metal.. but they still give me a headache.

"Make our day"