What Was The First Song You Learned BY EAR?!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
What was the first song that you learned to do, by listening to the song and not going through tabs or books and just sat down and listened and tried to play it.

Mine was Custard Pie by Zeppelin
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I learn pretty much everything guitar by ear, but I'd have to say my first was either Nothing Else Matters by Metallica or Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N' Roses, ha, ha...still fun to play!
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • theme from 90210
  • I learned the drum part to Jamie's Cryin' by Van Halen a while back..
    7/10/06
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    the first (very) basic riff that my hands just knew what to do by my hearing the cd was come as you are. probably the first really great song i taught myself was tool's pushit
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • prob something by acdc or iron maiden
    Cornell pwns u
  • i think it was the intro to "redemption song" by bob marley
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Interstellar Overdrive.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Free to Be You and Me (Every father's daugher every mother's son . . . ) Or "Help" by the Beatles.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • I think it was "A Strange Kind of Love" by Peter Murphy...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Blister in the Sun and ....???? ummm the theme from the O.C. ...i don't even watch the show i was just fiddling around when it was on once!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • GummiBeerGummiBeer Posts: 189
    Well i play drums and the first i learned by ear was Paradise City by g'n'r and one by metallica...then everything pearl jam, nirvana mudhoney, stp...and so on
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • i was listening to the radio a few years ago and ( i am ashamed to say this) that celine dion song came on..."because u loved me..." and i was siting at my keyboard and i figured it out. Why did i t have to be that song?.... geeez!
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Mine was one by metallica! still gets an airing now and again at parties to this day!!
    Shame what happened to them. Im ashamed to say i was into them now....
    When I was born, the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father, I'm very sorry. We did everything we could. But he pulled through......
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    after 17 of playing how on earth am i meant to remember the first song i worked out when i have enough trouble remembering songs now hahaa. i know the first thing i ever learnt was the main solo melody to layla by derek and the dominoes hahaha

(i can still remember it just about ;) )
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i think it was wishlist or maybe 'the end' by the doors (dropped D all open on top 3 strings)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Rearviewmirror intro
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now, so I haven't really mastered the art of getting stuff "by ear", but so far I was able to come up with Heartbreaker by Led Zep and Like a Stone by Audioslave (well just the main riffs though) haha.

PeAcE,

Juli
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Lake Of Fire - Nirvana (meatpuppets)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think it was Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi....might have been Black but for some reason I don't think it was.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2