So, I Played A Tele I Actually Liked!!

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,134
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was at a local shop yesterday and was checking out the stuff since I haven't been there in a while....They had those fender telecoustic guitars, i played it and i just put it down right away, didnt like it AT ALL

I played a few Ibanez hollowbodys, they are really nice guitars i must say....they had 3 models of them and only 1 i didnt like....

Then i focused my eyes on a used Hiwatt half stack :D:D:D the guy wouldnt let me play it unless i was serious about buying it, and he knows me...i dont have that type of money, haha

So then....if any of you know anything about me, i HATE tele's...i dont know why, i just dont like the way they feel, the bridge and middle sound are just gross...(neck is nice though)

I saw a sunburst tele that was used and i just said, what the heck...i started playing it unplugged and it felt SOOOO good...the fretboard was very extremly smooth, they just put a new set of stings on it (i think that may have been it)...and the body seemed a little bit closer to my right side and the guy said the piece was all original...which kind of got me suprised because the neck felt a tiny bit longer as well...

I plugged it in, and the bridge...well the bridge was a tele bridge sound...the middle was actually quite nice it was like a bridge pickup on a strat but with less treble...the neck was great, nice mellow sound...

I asked the guy how much he said 289$ because there was a big paint chip on the back...didnt have the money so I didn't bother...plus im not getting a new guitar until a hollowbody

The ironic thing about this is that I do have a tele that a relative gave me that is a squire, and the neck is exremly nice sounding because he put a gibson humbucker on it, which sounds strange but its nice...i just dont like the feel of it

anyway that was my experiece :)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ive seen your tele's...the only "regular" tele thats out there that i like is the Tele Customs

and no i havent played your les paul tele or your nashville...ahah
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • WESWES Posts: 168

Concerning the Fender Deluxe is that a Mexican or American. And any upgrades? I have a MIM deluxe myself and noticed a few differnces between the two....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    WES wrote:
    Concerning the Fender Deluxe is that a Mexican or American. And any upgrades? I have a MIM deluxe myself and noticed a few differnces between the two....

The Upgrade list on those could take a while a long while.

Those things are absolutely phenominal tone machines.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WES wrote:

The difference is a pair of Fralin P-90's with a pickguard to match. I plan on eventually replacing the neck with a rosewood fretboard neck, probably a Pre-CBS Strat headstock, which will be a tad pricey. It's a gorgeous guitar, though... my favorite, certainly. And the SOUND... Ooooo...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    mig you should trade me the nashville for my Les Paul strait up.

no? How about now? *holds up giant cheese burger*
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    The difference is a pair of Fralin P-90's with a pickguard to match. I plan on eventually replacing the neck with a rosewood fretboard neck, probably a Pre-CBS Strat headstock, which will be a tad pricey. It's a gorgeous guitar, though... my favorite, certainly. And the SOUND... Ooooo...

My apologies, i meant the white Nashville deluxe...That black deluxe is bitchin....Im going to drop a p90 in my Nashville soon....
  • WES wrote:
    My apologies, i meant the white Nashville deluxe...That black deluxe is bitchin....Im going to drop a p90 in my Nashville soon....

Ah...

The Nashville has two Fralin Hot Strat pickups in the neck and middle with a Warmoth pickguard cut for twin strat pups, and then a Harmonic Design S-90 in the bridge. The S-90 is basically a P-90 made to fit directly into a Tele bridge. I basically wanted the sound of a position-4 Strat (neck and middle together) and then a good, hot, biting bridge pickup like a P-90. It's fucking awesome. It's easily the most versatile guitar I own, and I love it.
    Ah...

The Nashville has two Fralin Hot Strat pickups in the neck and middle with a Warmoth pickguard cut for twin strat pups, and then a Harmonic Design S-90 in the bridge. The S-90 is basically a P-90 made to fit directly into a Tele bridge. I basically wanted the sound of a position-4 Strat (neck and middle together) and then a good, hot, biting bridge pickup like a P-90. It's fucking awesome. It's easily the most versatile guitar I own, and I love it.

awesome, all three of those tele's are admirable...im going to look into one of those S-90's as well....
  • WES wrote:
    awesome, all three of those tele's are admirable...im going to look into one of those S-90's as well....

I love the pickup, it's exactly what I wanted. I think Fender should be installing them stock in every Tele bridge.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

I love my goldtop, too... it's pretty, and the pups sound awesome. Combining the two humbuckers is just gorgeous tone.
  • I love the pickup, it's exactly what I wanted. I think Fender should be installing them stock in every Tele bridge.

I love my goldtop, too... it's pretty, and the pups sound awesome. Combining the two humbuckers is just gorgeous tone.

MIG,,, How's it going!! :cool:

I have a Nashville body, and that's the exact set up I was thinking of. A couple of Fralins in the middle and neck with a P90 type bridge pickup. You like that Harmonic design, eh? I may try that one.
    A Tele bodied hardtail strat. I'm going to sand out a belly curve in it, too.
    I don't have a belly, but I might as well plan ahead! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Yeah I love my Nashville tele, it's just that the stock Tex Mex pickups could use vast improvement...Which is the main reason for me swapping out the neck pickup and throwing a gibson P90 in soon. And eventually i may throw in that S-90 in the bridge like you suggested and replace that middle pickup with something better as well...
    WES wrote:
    Yeah I love my Nashville tele, it's just that the stock Tex Mex pickups could use vast improvement...Which is the main reason for me swapping out the neck pickup and throwing a gibson P90 in soon. And eventually i may throw in that S-90 in the bridge like you suggested and replace that middle pickup with something better as well...

Fralin Blues, I tells ya.

get the cryo versions from callaham. http://www.callahamguitars.com
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Fralin Blues, I tells ya.

get the cryo versions from callaham. http://www.callahamguitars.com

Those Fralin Blues are great. I just put some in a friend's strat, and they sing! I may get them for the nashville body to match up with a p90, or whatever I put in the bridge.

I haven't anything by Fralin that doesn't sing, though! :cool:

I put his pickguard clip-on Jazz pickup of his on a cheapo jazz guitar, and it is amazing! I can't wait to hear it on a good hollowbody!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I have a Nashville body, and that's the exact set up I was thinking of. A couple of Fralins in the middle and neck with a P90 type bridge pickup. You like that Harmonic design, eh? I may try that one.
    A Tele bodied hardtail strat. I'm going to sand out a belly curve in it, too.
    I don't have a belly, but I might as well plan ahead! :D

Doing well, Bob... how are you lately?

I would absolutely LOVE a Tele with the body contours of a Strat. I saw a custom-shop Tele/Strat hybrid that was exactly what I wanted once on eBay but it was way too expensive. Tele body with Strat contours, Strat controls, Strat neck, and Strat pickups. I may just have to wait a bit and get a body from Warmoth and contour it myself.

The S-90 is AMAZING, I love it to death. One note, though: I'd match it with Fralin Blues, the Hots are a tad too hot. I have it balanced well right now, but the Fralins are sitting a lot lower from the strings than I'd like. Other than that, it's a great set-up... your warm neck and pos-4 sounds for clean, and a great biting bridge for leads or licks. And the fact it's in a Tele body is just so much better!
    Definately Bobs. Fralin Blues, mated with the S-90 in the bridge, wonderful heavenly tone.