Andrew Stockdale's Tone

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The lead singer and guitarist for Wolfmother.

His tone is fuckin amazing, I LOVE IT!

Anyone else with me?:)

http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash.adp?defaultCovers=571,577,580&defaultID=580
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I'm with ya HHV!! :D

I'm lovin' his clean on White Unicron :)

....and ofcourse the rockin' stuff too.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I want that tone so bad!! I think I can pull it off too since I have an SG, but he is probably rockin a vintage SG with a vintage marshall half stack and other pedals....ugh, haha

I wish I could have a magic pedal board...each pedal is a different sound and tone completely different

Pedal A - David Gilmour
    Pedal B - Andrew Stockdale
    Pedal C - Johnny Greenwood
    Pedal D - Mike McCready
    Pedal E - Jimi Hendrix
    Pedal F - My own tone

man would that kick ass
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I want that tone so bad!! I think I can pull it off too since I have an SG, but he is probably rockin a vintage SG with a vintage marshall half stack and other pedals....ugh, haha

I wish I could have a magic pedal board...each pedal is a different sound and tone completely different

Pedal A - David Gilmour
    Pedal B - Andrew Stockdale
    Pedal C - Johnny Greenwood
    Pedal D - Mike McCready
    Pedal E - Jimi Hendrix
    Pedal F - My own tone

man would that kick ass

Oh man!! :eek: :eek:

I was just gunna start a thread like this yesterday!!!! That's so crazy!!

I want that too!! Just a board with buttons that have a name there.

O - Jimmy Page
    O - Jimi Hendrix
    O - Mike McCready
    O - Trey Anastasio
    O - Angus Young
    O - Kirk Hammet
    O - Brian May
    O - Warren Haynes
    O - Marc Ford

That would be SO cool.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Oh man!! :eek: :eek:

I was just gunna start a thread like this yesterday!!!! That's so crazy!!

I want that too!! Just a board with buttons that have a name there.

O - Jimmy Page
    O - Jimi Hendrix
    O - Mike McCready
    O - Trey Anastasio
    O - Angus Young
    O - Kirk Hammet
    O - Brian May
    O - Warren Haynes
    O - Marc Ford

That would be SO cool.

I can't believe I forgot Page, I'm such an idiot.
  • The lead singer and guitarist for Wolfmother.

His tone is fuckin amazing, I LOVE IT!

Anyone else with me?:)

http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash.adp?defaultCovers=571,577,580&defaultID=580

Damn I can't believe you posted this! I was going to do the same thing today. I was listening to their CD last night, which is my favorite CD right now, I am wearing it out, and I was trying to play along to White Unicorn. I FREAKING love his tone too. I was trying to imulate (sp?) his tone with a Epi LP, PPF, through a Fender Blues Jr. I kept messing around with the PPF trying to dial in something close but I think I was just fooling myself.

If anyone knows what pedals he might be using, let us know. I tried to check it out on the link but couldn't really see anything.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1277210

there is a pic about halfway down... i have no idea what they are though :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1277210

there is a pic about halfway down... i have no idea what they are though :rolleyes:

I read a little into the thread there and a guy lists the following as what Stockdale uses (says he got it word for word from an article he read):

Boss MetalZone
    Vox Tone Bender Fuzz
    E-H Small Stone Phaser
    Boss Tremolo
    Xotic AC Booster

He wasn't sure of the amp though but another guy says he is certain that he is using a Marshall half Stack but wasn't sure of the head.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • I read a little into the thread there and a guy lists the following as what Stockdale uses (says he got it word for word from an article he read):

Boss MetalZone
    Vox Tone Bender Fuzz
    E-H Small Stone Phaser
    Boss Tremolo
    Xotic AC Booster

He wasn't sure of the amp though but another guy says he is certain that he is using a Marshall half Stack but wasn't sure of the head.

He is using a marshall halfstack along with another half stack I can't tell

I think the marshall head is a plexi im not sure, It's hard to tell from the AOL sessions
  • 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore

• My company blocks "chat" stuff online. Damn web sensor!!! What was being talked about on that link?

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • My company blocks "chat" stuff online. Damn web sensor!!! What was being talked about on that link?

He changes amps apparently

Marshall JMP
    Marshall SLP
    70s Gibson SG with Whammy

and he keeps changing his pedal board....when you get home you should read through it

I think the tone basically comes from his marshall amps
  • He changes amps apparently

Marshall JMP
    Marshall SLP
    70s Gibson SG with Whammy

and he keeps changing his pedal board....when you get home you should read through it

I think the tone basically comes from his marshall amps

Cool, thanks.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Hey does anyone know where to get good tabs for their songs? I guess I could watch their clips and try to pick it up from there.....

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    Guitars:

-1973 Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby Tremolo
    -1961 SG Standard reissue

Amps:
    -Modified 1973 Marshall JMP, Sixties-era Moody

Effects:

-Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer
    -Electro-Harmonix Small Stone phase shifter
    -Vox Tone Bender
    -Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    -MXR M-133 Micro Amp
    -Xotic AC Booster
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • Wow, good call on that!!

Vox Tone Bender

I've been searching on that for a while now, a few months actually. I bet you that's the tone he's getting it from because he plays clean on some of the songs, so his amp must be clean.

That pedal is expensive though, for an original one from the 60s. It goes 500-600$.

I'd like to get my hands on a clone of it like the 1966 by DAM...http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/dam.php
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Wow, good call on that!!

Vox Tone Bender

I've been searching on that for a while now, a few months actually. I bet you that's the tone he's getting it from because he plays clean on some of the songs, so his amp must be clean.

That pedal is expensive though, for an original one from the 60s. It goes 500-600$.

I'd like to get my hands on a clone of it like the 1966 by DAM...http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/dam.php

Yeah DAM is awesome.

You could also check out the stuff by Scotty at Proanalog.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
  • Good article...

Don't you play an SG?

Yeah, I play an SG.

But you didn't play it on the record?

No.
    ----

from reading that and the amps that he used on the album, it seems like his studio setup is completely different than his stage setup
  • I liked the article but I thought it made him out to be an ass when I don't really think he is like that. I mean it seemed to me that he was just trying to down play what the band is doing. Yeah, it's not like they are creating a whole new sound but the sound is theirs. I don't think he wants to be considered a genious for what he's doing and also doesn't want to be pegged right away for sounding like someone else. I don't know......to me, in this day and age, it is hard for a band to sound completely original if they grew up listening to a certain band/bands. I think it will come out them either way.

For me, I like my rock and roll simple. Don't over do it ya know. Rock and roll is about having fun, they sound like they are having fun and I sure as hell know when I am listening to it, I am having fun!!!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Sounded to me like the UG interviewer was in his face a bit from the beginning on the similarities, which probably gets a bit old.

I posted this link in another forum a few weeks ago. If you havent' seen it..enjoy.

http://music.aol.com/videos/sessions/sessions_flash.adp?defaultCovers=580,569,560&defaultID=580
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • dondudedondude Posts: 1
    i have seen videos of him live, and i see he uses an MXR distortion plus, and the Boss tuner pedal(whatever it is), and a Radial Tonebender. I am completely lost on what he uses all of those distortions for, and if he switches between amps, if so y and how? and if he made his own pedal board. And lastly how the hell didd he get the money for all this stuff. He has vintage marshall amps, vintage pedals, vintage SG. I heard he used to be a dirt poor photographer.

about his amps, when they were just starting out, he used the marshal plexi head, and a fender bassman head w/ two marshall cabs, then he switched to the same plexi and a JCM 900(ithink) with the same cabs, now he uses a Vintage VOX head with the marshall plexi and same cabs.

p.s. i am suprised he is not using a Big Muff.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    just watched T in The Park Festival (big Scottish festival) on tv over the weekend and he was using the Gibson Es355

very small and tiny picture here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/tinthepark/weekend/wolfmother_review.shtml
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I just got the tone, it's extremly easy...

Gibson SG (bridge pup) --> Fulltone OCD (gain around 3-4 o'clock) ---> Amp (clean)

I played it at a low volume so the settings are probably different when I crank my amp, but now I'm happy :)

It works perfect for Dimension, White Unicorn, Woman, Joker and the Theif