For You People That Want The SG '61 Reissue

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
for you people (like me) who would love to play and/or own the Gibson SG '61 Reissue

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518407/

bam!!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah it's slick.

I played a matte finished Masterbuilt Epiphone Jumbo yesterday. I don't know that I've ever heard a better guitar at $650 bucks.

The Elitist series is very very good value.

I got to finally try out an Orange Rocker 30 last weekend too. It's very nice, I still prefer the lower gain clean channel on it though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Replace the pickups with Classic '57s or PAF clones, and you'd be in business. Burstbuckers, Duncan '59s, Fralin's, whatever...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • MIG i need you opinion

I'm thinking by my birthday ill save up for a couple of things to set me for a while (pickups, hollowbody, pedals, etc)

here is my question for you

i was thinking of changing the pickups in my SG Special to the '57 Classics...then i thought that by that time i would like to have an Epiphone Elite Les Paul...i was then thinking of switching the 57s to the les paul and put in p-90s into the SG...do you think its worth it?

because personally right now i want to have 1 guitar with humbuckers (SG) and 1 with single coils (strat)

im also thinking of putting the '57/'62 reissue pups into my strat now
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • MIG i need you opinion

i was thinking of changing the pickups in my SG Special to the '57 Classics...then i thought that by that time i would like to have an Epiphone Elite Les Paul...i was then thinking of switching the 57s to the les paul and put in p-90s into the SG...do you think its worth it?

because personally right now i want to have 1 guitar with humbuckers (SG) and 1 with single coils (strat)

im also thinking of putting the '57/'62 reissue pups into my strat now

So, you want to buy a set of Classic '57s and put them in your SG, and then later get a Les Paul and move the Classic '57s over to the LP and put P-90's in your SG? Sounds reasonable enough. Hell, you might decide you like the Classic '57s in your SG and keep them there. It's just a question of how much you want to de-solder and re-solder. It won't hurt the guitar or pickups any.

As far as which pickups would sound better in which guitar, that's a huge question with no definite answer. I love the way a Classic '57 sounds, very warm and round and full, but not a lot of edge. The PAF humbuckers tend to be a bit more edgy, especially uncovered. P-90's are warmer and fatter than most single-coils, but still have the midrange presence and clarity, and treble bite, of a single-coil. I'd personally go with the Classic '57s in the Les Paul and P-90's in your SG, like you said... maybe not actual P-90's, but a P-90 in a humbucker size (many manufacturers make these). I tend to feel P-90's sound better in a lighter guitar, whereas the Classic '57s sound better in a heavier guitar, and an SG is certainly lighter than an LP.

I currently have Classic 57's in two guitars... a Cort Explorer with Epi '57 pickups, and a mahogany Tele with a Gibson '57 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge. The Explorer sounds pretty dark all around, warm and full but not as much clarity. The Tele sounds much clearer... the '57 in the neck is nice and warm, very jazzy with good saturation, but the '59 (PAF clone) has a lot more clarity and bite. The '57/'59 combo is gorgeous... the best tone out of combining humbuckers that I've ever heard.

I'd also steer you clear of the Fender pickups for your Strat, and have you look at Fralin, Lollar, or Kinman instead. I have a couple Fralin Strat pups and I love them... I tend to be a little iffy on Fender's electronics.
  • So, you want to buy a set of Classic '57s and put them in your SG, and then later get a Les Paul and move the Classic '57s over to the LP and put P-90's in your SG? Sounds reasonable enough. Hell, you might decide you like the Classic '57s in your SG and keep them there. It's just a question of how much you want to de-solder and re-solder. It won't hurt the guitar or pickups any.

As far as which pickups would sound better in which guitar, that's a huge question with no definite answer. I love the way a Classic '57 sounds, very warm and round and full, but not a lot of edge. The PAF humbuckers tend to be a bit more edgy, especially uncovered. P-90's are warmer and fatter than most single-coils, but still have the midrange presence and clarity, and treble bite, of a single-coil. I'd personally go with the Classic '57s in the Les Paul and P-90's in your SG, like you said... maybe not actual P-90's, but a P-90 in a humbucker size (many manufacturers make these). I tend to feel P-90's sound better in a lighter guitar, whereas the Classic '57s sound better in a heavier guitar, and an SG is certainly lighter than an LP.

I currently have Classic 57's in two guitars... a Cort Explorer with Epi '57 pickups, and a mahogany Tele with a Gibson '57 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge. The Explorer sounds pretty dark all around, warm and full but not as much clarity. The Tele sounds much clearer... the '57 in the neck is nice and warm, very jazzy with good saturation, but the '59 (PAF clone) has a lot more clarity and bite. The '57/'59 combo is gorgeous... the best tone out of combining humbuckers that I've ever heard.

I'd also steer you clear of the Fender pickups for your Strat, and have you look at Fralin, Lollar, or Kinman instead. I have a couple Fralin Strat pups and I love them... I tend to be a little iffy on Fender's electronics.

so would you suggest that i put the '57/'59 combo in the les paul?

right now the 490s are in the special and they are nice but they dont give you the full tone that i think the SG can provide

are the gibson p-90s the size of a humbucker?

so maybe ill just deal with the 490s until my birthday next year and then get the les paul and do the swtich and put p-90s in the sg
  • so would you suggest that i put the '57/'59 combo in the les paul?

right now the 490s are in the special and they are nice but they dont give you the full tone that i think the SG can provide

are the gibson p-90s the size of a humbucker?

I really like the combo of the '57/'59 in my Tele, which I built to be sort of a Les Paul substitute. I went with a covered neck pickup and an uncovered bridge pickup, sorta like Jimmy Page. I'm not saying it's the best combo out there, but it's tone is all classic Les Paul. 490's are decent pickups, at least they have alnico magnets, but they're still a tad unrefined for my taste.

Gibson P-90's are not humbucker-sized. They're a tad wider but not as deep. There are several companies making humbucker-sized P-90's... I know Gibson has the P-94, Harmonic Design makes the Z-90, Rio Grande makes the Bastard, Fat Bastard, and Covered Bastard... there are others, I'm sure somebody has a recommendation.

The other option is to make major modifications to your guitar and swap in some regular-sized P-90's, but that would be difficult and expensive (requires routing the body to fit the wider pickups, and getting a new pickguard).
  • I really like the combo of the '57/'59 in my Tele, which I built to be sort of a Les Paul substitute. I went with a covered neck pickup and an uncovered bridge pickup, sorta like Jimmy Page. I'm not saying it's the best combo out there, but it's tone is all classic Les Paul. 490's are decent pickups, at least they have alnico magnets, but they're still a tad unrefined for my taste.

Gibson P-90's are not humbucker-sized. They're a tad wider but not as deep. There are several companies making humbucker-sized P-90's... I know Gibson has the P-94, Harmonic Design makes the Z-90, Rio Grande makes the Bastard, Fat Bastard, and Covered Bastard... there are others, I'm sure somebody has a recommendation.

The other option is to make major modifications to your guitar and swap in some regular-sized P-90's, but that would be difficult and expensive (requires routing the body to fit the wider pickups, and getting a new pickguard).

yeah the reason i was asking about the size for the Gibsons is because i dont want to go through all the mods on the guitar for it

but thanks for the info mig, i appreciate it