Yup, Another Thread

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK OK OK

I know I am annoying with these threads but now that Xmas has passed and I didn't get what I want...I will be getting something within the next week.

As you know I got a Boss BD-2 that works nicely with my Strat and pretty decent with my SG.

I realized that the OD on my amp is probably exactly ME. But I like to try different things. The past few days I have been searching online more than usual for OD and Distortion pedals.

I came up with this list:

Maxon SD-9 (Sonic Distortion)
Marshall GV-2
Marshall BB-2
Fulltone Distortion Pro
Fulltone Fulldrive2

or if anyone could recomend me anything else

Thanks
HHV

PS: I have a BRAND NEW BD-2 that I recieved for Xmas that I will not use, send me a PM if you are interested
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The Fulltone stuff will cost you a bit of extra $$$, but from what I've heard, it's worth it. The Maxon SD-9 is also an awesome pedal and it will sound more Britishy than the Traynor gain. I know that I didn't like the Guvnor, but it might work for you. If you can get a hold of all those, give em a shot and let me know what works awesome. (I'm thinking of getting another D box sometime soon).
  • The Fulltone stuff will cost you a bit of extra $$$, but from what I've heard, it's worth it. The Maxon SD-9 is also an awesome pedal and it will sound more Britishy than the Traynor gain. I know that I didn't like the Guvnor, but it might work for you. If you can get a hold of all those, give em a shot and let me know what works awesome. (I'm thinking of getting another D box sometime soon).

yeah i know, the pro is 175$ i think and the fulldrive2 is 200$ i think

i sold my Ts9 for 65$ and now my extra BD-2 goes for another 65$ thats 130$ and i can put in a little more from my pocket or i can just save for another month

but yeah

plus i always would like to have different distortion or OD sounds...im going to try to save up to do some heavy duty stuff for next June (pickups, pedals, etc)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • yeah i know, the pro is 175$ i think and the fulldrive2 is 200$ i think

i sold my Ts9 for 65$ and now my extra BD-2 goes for another 65$ thats 130$ and i can put in a little more from my pocket or i can just save for another month

but yeah

plus i always would like to have different distortion or OD sounds...im going to try to save up to do some heavy duty stuff for next June (pickups, pedals, etc)

Yeah, I'm a fan of having different ODs and Distortions too. So far I have the Traynor OD, a Distortion + and the Super Overdrive Pedal. I find that the Traynor has two distinct ODs, with the boost and without. Without the boost, it's really glassy and relies more on picking technique and my guitar. With the boost on, since I use a lot of midrange frequencies, I get a really soaring, awesome overdrive that gives lots of saturated crunch for rhythm stuff and a wailing sound that really cleans up for single note and lead work. That's what I love the most out the amp.

I used the Distortion + in combination with the OD w/o boost on the amp to get a fuzzy, Neil Youngish distortion. I use the SD-1 for lots of purposes, but usually, it sounds best on the clean channel for slight breakup, gain increased with delay on the clean and as a saturation and volume boost for lead stuff.

I love the variety of tones I can get with the Traynor and the OD pedals. I tried at TS-9 for a few days with it, and I wasn't really digging it either. The only setup I've used that really liked with it was my former bandmates rig:

1962(3-4)? Fiesta Red Strat
    > Jimi Hendrix Crybaby
    > TS-9DX
    > Late 1950s Fender Concert Amp.

That was heaven, but the TS-9 doesn't do it for me on the Traynor. I think for it to get the full effect, you really need to get some Poweramp overdrive going, and which, of course, would shake the entire neighbourhood.

The biggest change for me wasn't really pedals, but was the pickups. I put a VERY hot pickup into the bridge of my Les Paul and a mellow, vintage sounding one in the neck. The Paul Reed Smith HFS (bridge) and the Vintage Bass (neck) cost me about $220 a pop when I got them a couple of years ago. They were totally worth it though. I also added push/pull coil splits to give me the option of single coils, which although they don't sound as good as utilitarian single coils, gives an amazing combination of tones for OD and clean.

Eventually, once I get some better recording gear, I plan to document all of this :) for my own records and for others to hear.

As for now, I'm leaning towards to Fulltone OCD, but I need to make certain that the rent, my books and tuition are all taken care of. :)
  • Also should have added:

HHV,

I'm thinking about trading in my 80 for a Wine Red 40. I'm a bit peeved at the fact that they completely redesigned it. I was looking at the Traynor site tonight, and so many things are different. I'm starting to think that I can get a much better sound than what I'm getting out of the old school 80. It's just a though right now, but I'm definately going to try out the 40WR and the 50Blue tommorow at the store.

I mean honestly, when was the last time I needed 80 watts unmiced with a 212 extension cab? It must have been about 3 years ago, and that was only because the gig didn't provide mics. :(

We'll give them a good hard play and see what others think as well.
  • yeah im looking to do a whole change with my set up

this past summer was basicly an amp, and you and i know that i found the perfect amp

right now its just a change in OD/Dist, i believe that the Traynor OD is probably the perfect OD for me, but as I have said...i need something like a BD-2 (or Ts9 before) to push it a little bit at low volumes since i live in an apartment...besides that i would like to have a different sound, the BD-2 works great with my strat...now im looking for something with my SG, and that list is hard to choose from

I read that the Fulltone OCD is loud, just to let you know

I remember Pac said this a few weeks ago and i think he is 100% right...before you go and experiment with flangers, vibes, phasers, etc etc etc...find your OD/Dist sound first, and that is what i am doing now

For me I really have to sit down and think is a 175-200$ fulltone pedal worth for what I have now?
    I am personally a decent gutiar player (not great but decent), but as of now, I am in 1 band that I dont feel is going anywhere, and I play about 90% of the time in a bedroom where I can't experiment too much

Yes I agree with you...the 80 with ext cabs is probably not the way to be going at this stage of the game...
    If I could I would go with the Blue50...it has a Master Volume I believe, something the YCV40 really needs
    But again, the ycv40wr has perfect sounds....the only problem with it is that the Mids are a bit high on the amp...and that may be good for some people but I am not a Mids kind of guy

some settings you may enjoy if you try it out are:

Gain 5-7, Treb 6.5, Bass 6, Mids 4.5 (OD)
    Treb 7, Bass 4, Mids 5 (Clean)
    Reverb 2-3
    Presence 4-5

Just remember that the louder the volume the more you will need to turn the Treb down, as well as the presence if you have it set too high

Plus financially I need to start saving up for what I want so I wouldn't be having this conversation
  • You nailed most of it right on the head.

With the Fulltone OCD, they're really hard to find in stores, so I have to rely on clips and opinions, so I'll keep that in mind.

I've pretty much found the OD/Distortion I like. I switched over from the whole scooped heavy thing to the mid ranged soaring distortion and OD about 3 years ago and never looked back. That sort of thing just comes with playing maturity though.

I've got my Phase sound down, and the rest of the chorus, flange, vibe stuff, I don't really use or need right now anyways. For now, I have my Phase 90, and it's perfect for EVH if I'm feeling it, or clean swirley Rooster sort of tones.

I've been doing TONS of reading and listening over the last couple hours and this cool guy (AMAZING PLAYER TOO) from the HC forums has posted some 50BLUE clips and it sounds amazing. I played one of them in the store a few weeks ago, and I was blown away. At the time I thought it was just the guitar I was using (I think it was Heritage Les Paul), but now I'm giving it a serious thought. It has the midrangey, smooth sort of tones I'm looking for in the OD, and it still has the awesome glassy clean.

About the trebles, I like to have treble in my clean, as it I find it lets the single coil function of the Les Paul to really shine through, and it brightens up the guitar without going overboard. I do not like a lot of treble in my OD though. I think that may be something I developed when playing with two guitarists and struggling to cut through though. Just turn up the mids, and you'll shine right through.

From reading about what you like to play and the situation you're in, I think that the WR is perfect for you. You can always delve into the boutique OD boxes if you have the cash. They have a pretty high resale value if you don't like them, and if you find one you like, chances are that you'll like it a lot.

Superfically, I don't really like the blue tolex, but that's really on the bottom of the list. If I can get the Blue to give me the early Stone and Cantrellish tones I'm looking for, then it will be a sure sale (provided they give me a deal on the 80 and cab).

I'll report back tommorow for sure though!

Here's one of clips: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011337_proj.mp3

It's done in my style of playing, so I think that catered to my interest. Don't know about others here though ;)
    :)

The other one is of a Whitesnake song, and it has the thick midranged sound that I like as well:
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011338_proj.mp3
    yeah im looking to do a whole change with my set up

this past summer was basicly an amp, and you and i know that i found the perfect amp

right now its just a change in OD/Dist, i believe that the Traynor OD is probably the perfect OD for me, but as I have said...i need something like a BD-2 (or Ts9 before) to push it a little bit at low volumes since i live in an apartment...besides that i would like to have a different sound, the BD-2 works great with my strat...now im looking for something with my SG, and that list is hard to choose from

I read that the Fulltone OCD is loud, just to let you know

I remember Pac said this a few weeks ago and i think he is 100% right...before you go and experiment with flangers, vibes, phasers, etc etc etc...find your OD/Dist sound first, and that is what i am doing now

For me I really have to sit down and think is a 175-200$ fulltone pedal worth for what I have now?
    I am personally a decent gutiar player (not great but decent), but as of now, I am in 1 band that I dont feel is going anywhere, and I play about 90% of the time in a bedroom where I can't experiment too much

Yes I agree with you...the 80 with ext cabs is probably not the way to be going at this stage of the game...
    If I could I would go with the Blue50...it has a Master Volume I believe, something the YCV40 really needs
    But again, the ycv40wr has perfect sounds....the only problem with it is that the Mids are a bit high on the amp...and that may be good for some people but I am not a Mids kind of guy

some settings you may enjoy if you try it out are:

Gain 5-7, Treb 6.5, Bass 6, Mids 4.5 (OD)
    Treb 7, Bass 4, Mids 5 (Clean)
    Reverb 2-3
    Presence 4-5

Just remember that the louder the volume the more you will need to turn the Treb down, as well as the presence if you have it set too high

Plus financially I need to start saving up for what I want so I wouldn't be having this conversation
  • I can't listen to those now, I will tomorrow when I am on a different computer

But if you want that early Stone tone...i find that the YCV40WR is perfect for that type of stuff...the 40 is more american where as the 50 is a mixture of american and british

but yeah both are amazing

I've been playing for about 3-4 years by now, and I'm really starting to enjoy it more than ever

One more thing about the Traynors, when I go and jam with people, they have stacks that are decent, some solid state some tube...then I use my Traynor, and not only are people shocked, they try to buy it off of me! I just told them, go online they are only 600$ and they are like WHAT 600$ ?!?! It's true, it sounds like an amp that is probably worth a couple grand

as with any amp, once the speaker is broken in...its heaven
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Well the new Fulldrive 2 looks great.

You should check out the Diamond stuff. Like the Diamond Drive and Diamond J drive from Halifax Nova Scotia, they look fantastic, but I really think you are barking up the wrong tree if you like the amps overdrive.

Why not go with a clean boost?

without having you in front of us with the amp and trying to figure out what you really desire out of it it's a little tough.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I was thinking of a clean boost, not my thing to tell you the truth

i am in LOVE with this pedal
    http://www.maxonfx.com/vintage/od820/
    way to expensive though
  • I think I am going with

Maxon OD820
    or
    Fulltone Distortion Pro
    or
    Fulltone Fulldrive2
  • Distortion pro is what I'm going to shoot for once I get my next couple pay cheques.
  • Distortion pro is what I'm going to shoot for once I get my next couple pay cheques.

how long will that be? because you will have to let me know! :)

for me this is half stupid...idk if i can afford a 175-200$ pedal, when theres an Ibanez Artcore im checking out right now..haha
    how long will that be? because you will have to let me know! :)

for me this is half stupid...idk if i can afford a 175-200$ pedal, when theres an Ibanez Artcore im checking out right now..haha

I'd go with the Artcore you don't seem to prefer the amp sound anyhow.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd go with the Artcore you don't seem to prefer the amp sound anyhow.

oh i do love the amp sound

just want to try something different

im leave virginia today to go home, ill see what is there waiting for me, maybe money :D
    oh i do love the amp sound

just want to try something different

im leave virginia today to go home, ill see what is there waiting for me, maybe money :D

that would be nice. I wish I had some.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    that would be nice. I wish I had some.

yeah me too, thats why I am hoping for some at home, ha

there's an ibanez hollowbody in black, just how i like for 285$ and free shipping, mint...i think i may get it :)
    then i have to see how much i have left for a pedal

i dont know what to do
  • well the hollowbody is gone

and im going to get a Maxon Overdrive Pro 820!!!!!!!!!!