If you were only aloud 1...

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
If you were only aloud to have 1 guitar and 1 amp what would it be?

The guitar and amp have to be under 1000$ each.
The gear can be used but be understanding such that a Victoria amp is not going for 600$

Personally....
guitar - used Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat (with the S-1 switching system)
amp - either a used Rivera Suprema 55 or Traynor YCV40WR

I chose the strat because although I like my SG more the Strat is much more versitile and more tones are possible, even "ballsy" SG/LP sounds if you do it right.

I chose the Rivera or Traynor just because you can get a really nice overdrive sound from them. Rivera has an amazing OD, Traynor has an amazing clean, but in this case you can't throw a pedal infront of the Traynor to get a good OD/Dist ;)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If you were only aloud to have 1 guitar and 1 amp what would it be?

The guitar and amp have to be under 1000$ each.
    The gear can be used but be understanding such that a Victoria amp is not going for 600$

Personally....
    guitar - used Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat (with the S-1 switching system)
    amp - either a used Rivera Suprema 55 or Traynor YCV40WR

I chose the strat because although I like my SG more the Strat is much more versitile and more tones are possible, even "ballsy" SG/LP sounds if you do it right.

I chose the Rivera or Traynor just because you can get a really nice overdrive sound from them. Rivera has an amazing OD, Traynor has an amazing clean, but in this case you can't throw a pedal infront of the Traynor to get a good OD/Dist ;)

Guitar - My godin, honestly, I can get the sound I need for most applications
    Amp - Fender 'evil twin'
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    You say $1000 each? How about we say $2000 total.

In that case a Taylor 700 series acoustic.

Yeah, it may be a bit over :D but it's "close". That is my dream guitar. If you have the opp. to play this thing it will make your spine melt.

I love Martins, but the 700 Taylors IMO are the absolute best.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Fender American Strat HH, in chrome blue with maple fretboard

Since you said under $1000...

I guess it has to be the Blem version of a Fender Twin Reverb
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Guitar - My godin, honestly, I can get the sound I need for most applications
    Amp - Fender 'evil twin'

the evil twin is a beast, i was looking at it to get last year before i got my amp....i thought the 25 watts was good for my bedroom and the 100 watts for gigging, but honestly, the 25 watts is as loud as you would need....plus i didnt think it had the best "fender clean"
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    the evil twin is a beast, i was looking at it to get last year before i got my amp....i thought the 25 watts was good for my bedroom and the 100 watts for gigging, but honestly, the 25 watts is as loud as you would need....plus i didnt think it had the best "fender clean"

It might be the amp I've been searching for.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    I already have what I want for my personal needs:

1993 sunburst Fender Telecaster (4-way switch)
    1975ish Fender Champ

all the rest is decoration, really

and at this point, I'd even pick my 1978 Guild D25CH over those two - that's only one item of gear. Who needs an amp when you got a killer acoustic that'll give you the blues and folk?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Amp, well broken in Bassman, (hopefully in lacquered tweed and a pine cabinet)

The guitar would probably be a used black American Deluxe strat with the S-1 switching and cobalt pickups.

If I couldn't find a bassman, I'd have Mike Clark build me a Beaufort Special and find an alnico magnet speaker to put in it.

Then later on when I got the money I'd try and find a used victoria reverb adn tremolo unit. Or a fender reverb unit and some kind of brown face inspired tremolo.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I don't know if I can do this :D

Guild Bluesbird (I can find them used for 800-900 bucks)
    Supro Thunderbolt (about 700-800 bucks for one in good shape)
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    If I had to go with only one guitar I'd make it a really nice acoustic. Couldn't tell you what kind as I've never hada budget of $2,000 to spend on one.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Pah to the $1000 rule.

Gibson LP Standard(sun burst) and a Marshall half or full stack is all I need.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Line 6 Variax 700 hardtail and a Line 6 PodXT Live through a pair of used JBL Eon15's.

Ha! Beat that, suckers!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's bothering me.

"Allowed." As in, "Mother allowed me to go to the movies." Not, "Mother smacked me because I said the F-word aloud."
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    A Gibson SG Special... Cherry... like Pete's.
    Mesa Boogie... USED (a Recto to fit the price constraint)
    Or a Martin Acoustic... A Dreadnought D-16. (or pass on the Amp and get a D-18).
    I'm not very good... but I would only want to buy one guitar and grow into it... instead of buying a cheap guitar I will grow out of.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    It's bothering me.

"Allowed." As in, "Mother allowed me to go to the movies." Not, "Mother smacked me because I said the F-word aloud."

Yeah, me too!

I'd have to stick with my first electric and amp purchase because they haven't let me down yet, my American Standard Fender Strat and Tweed Fender Blues Junior.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    surferdude wrote:
    If I had to go with only one guitar I'd make it a really nice acoustic. Couldn't tell you what kind as I've never hada budget of $2,000 to spend on one.

In that case you have three practical options...(yeah, I know there are more...:) )
    Martin
    Taylor
    Gibson

IMO, the high end Taylor's are the best for the money. Martin's and Gibson's are awesome, but for some reason the Taylor's just sit better and sound better in my hand.
  • Guitar: Used Fender American Deluxe Tele in Aged Cherry Sunburst with the S-1 Switching system

Amp: Vox AC30 ... i know there's better amps out there but i love these
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    since everyone's playing strats.... i'll take my SG standard and my deluxe reverb. both easily had for under a grand.
  • exhausted wrote:
    since everyone's playing strats.... i'll take my SG standard and my deluxe reverb. both easily had for under a grand.

ex, is your Deluxe Reverb the Re-issue??

'Cause I just found one for $700 used....

*without the brightness cap to lower harshness? (he said it was a common mod)

Anyhoo....
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    yes, mine's the reissue. no mods on mine other than the speaker to a vintage 30.

i've never had brightness issues with mine but i know a lot of people do that mod. i think it's pretty minor.

but they're $800 new so that's not much of a deal.
  • exhausted wrote:
    yes, mine's the reissue. no mods on mine other than the speaker to a vintage 30.

i've never had brightness issues with mine but i know a lot of people do that mod. i think it's pretty minor.

but they're $800 new so that's not much of a deal.

Good to know :cool:
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    oh wait, you're in canada.

that's a good price in that case. sorry. :o
  • It's bothering me.

Well, he IS talking about electric guitars here. If I still had my 300 watt Ampeg SVT it would DEFINITELY be aloud! :D

And how the hell are you doing MIG!!!

Otherwise,

Strat Deluxe S-1 switching, which I have and LOVE, but maybe put a stacked humbucker in the bridge. THAT would be some complicated wiring!

Fender Deluxe Reverb - My favorite amp ever
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Amp: Fender Hot rod series (deluxe or devile 2/4)

i love that tone!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19