SO, I Went to a Zep Tribute Band

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The band is called Black Dog and they played at BB Kings off of 42nd St (Times Square) in NYC. They kicked major ass!!! They were probably the best cover band I have ever seen. The guys voice was just fuckin perfect, EXACTLY Plant.

But this is a Gearheads forum so lets talk about the gear.

The guitarist was very good but tried to imitate Page to much but his gear was pretty sweet.

He used a Orange Rockerverb 50 through an Orange cab. And then a brand I have never heard of. Laney...run through another Orange cab. Looks like a clone of a vintage Marshall, I have to read up on them. His tone was just spectacular.

His pedal board wasn't that great. All Boss pedals and a Crybaby. But he did have a Boss pedal I have never seen. It looked old, it was a power supply pedal, it was red. Other than that it was just a SD-1, Chorus Ensemble, DD-3, and a reverb pedal.

His tone though was just exactly Page, I wanted to talk to him about how he achieved it but a fight broke out, and once they got off stage they were no where to be seen. My cousin was saying they usually stick around for about 20 minutes but since the fight I guess not.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nice man, sounds good!!

I've seen those Laney amps here before, too bad you didn't get to talk with him.

Maybe they have a website you can contact, check out about the gear more.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • This is his gear from their website

2001 Gibson Les Paul, 1996 Gibson SG Double Neck, 1990 Fender Telecaster. 1979 Laney 50 Watt Head, 1971 Orange 120 Watt Head, 2-4x12 Orange Cabinets. 1968 Morley Wah-Wah and multiple Boss effect pedals.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I have seen Black Dog about 6 or 7 times and they are absolutely fucking amazing! I keep trying to get new people to go see them. Close your eyes and you are hearing a live Zeppeling show. Those guys are on the fuckin money! FYI, the band is also the same 3 that play with Sabbra Cadabra, just a different singer. Those guys can wail. How Many More Times...fuckin insane. Whole Lotta Love....the solo with the phermone (sp?)...crazy! I have to see them again soon, it has been a good 6 to 8 months.
  • googoo Posts: 226
    Sounds interesting. I'd definitely check them out if they ever came around here... do they also try to get the look down? Pretty much the only Zeppelin band I've seen a few times is ZOSO and I don't see how they can be beat either.

I love Zeppelin tribute bands.................................... when they don't suck.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    rockerverbs are awesome. Orange really did well with them.

I've seen one on the back line of a Pearl Jam cover band too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I saw a tribute band called Whole Lotta Led last year and they were pretty awesome too. Was quite weird cause the drummer looked like he was about 20 and the rest of the band were 40 plus, lol. He was great though, played the Moby Dick drum solo great. The singers voice was dead on too.
  • So,

I"m not big on the cover band thing. I actually avoid them, but: They're supposed to IMITATE the original band? I always thought that a cover was about adding your own spin or flavor to a song and honoring the original band came by simply PLAYING the song.

help.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.