Do You Get Defensive Over Your Gear?

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Even if it's shitty gear...do you find yourself over protective of your gear.

Anytime someone touches my SG without my approval I get so pissed and I take it from them and give them an attitude. One time I went upstairs to get a drink and came downstairs to find this kid playing my SG through my amp mad loud and I cursed him out and punched him in the face.

It's not normal but idk, I just get so pissed if someone were to touch my shit. Last week I left my SG in the music room area at my school and I came to get it towards the end of the day and it was gone! I cut all my classes and started cursing people out throwing a fit. I was about to kill someone but then I found one of my music teachers playing it and I still cursed him out and took my SG back.

LOL

Even my pedals a couple of times I find people taking my pedals in the middle of a jam session and use it and I get so pissed. Someone stole my BD-2 at a show and I started hustling people and shoving people to find my BD-2 and turns out some guy jacked it and put it in his bag, so when I found the bag i took all the shit out of his bag and threw it out in the street.

I get SO MAD!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I don't like when people play it without asking. That really bothers me.

Or when I'm playing out, and the resident drunk wants to 'play a song with the band'. For that, I hand him a Squier, and crank up the treble, drops the mids and bass and make him sound like crap. :)

Most of the time, it's me abusing my gear? Ever throw a Les Paul across the room like a javelin at an amp? I suggest you don't... :D
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Not really. As long as they ask first. My roommate always asks to borrow my acoustic, but I keep telling him he can take without asking. I wouldn't mind so much if someone in my house played my SG, either my roomie or my friend. I think I would get a little ticked if they played my Strat without my knowledge, but thats about it.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I have over $15k in my main rig. I do not take kindly to people who handle my gear without my consent. Even better are the cats who show up with their rigs, and then ask to play through mine.

If I know someone, I will help them out if they're in a jam. I've loaned my rig to a couple of friends in touring bands when they've come though town...but that's about it.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    My buddy and I rock once in a while in my garage and he always wants to fuck around with my Crybaby because he doesn't have one......

It's not the biggest deal but he plays with all my pedals cause he has none at all.....

Oh and the WORST!!!!!

He fuckin' put like 4 scratches on my acoustic!!!! He was playing it so careless and there's no finish on my acoustic so he put scratches on it!!

Fuck!!

If someone's gunna scratch my guitar it's gunna be me!!

So ya I do get pissed......
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Fuck yes. 10 char
  • my guitars are treated like humans, they get abused, taken cared of, etc. Lets just say at teh party of a lifetime, my guitar endup up in a fire, drenched by rain, beer all over it, and had a little interference during some "tent activities" none the less its been my best friend.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I wouldn't let anyone near my strat for the first couple weeks, not even my girlfriend. I'm a little less protective now but I always prefer that people ask before I let them touch. Washing hands is a must too--hate getting grease on either of my guitars.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1