They Need Distortion

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Especially Stone...songs like DTE so far this tour don't sound as good as they should be because of the lack of distortion. Satan's Bed there was no distortion at all, which is a must for that song.

Again, Mike's amp needs to be way louder. I'm getting used to Ed's tone. Mike's tone is fantastic from what I possibly could hear.

They sound tighter and better than ever!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well.
    it's hard to criticize their sound,
    given that after what i heard at Albany,
    they sound better than ever.

I mean i thought '03 was good. Then i saw Halifax, and i was like, "fuck man! they've out done themselves!" ...

then i go up to Albany, and once again am forced to reckon "holy f-balls. they are tighter still!"

but maybe you are right.
    i noticed an awful lot of fenders on that stage ... damn near maybe ONLY fenders even ... (???)

i was hearing lots of overdriven tone ... but nothing like full-gained marshalls like i think you may be asking for ...

Did you get to hear Comatose ?
    I was BLOWN AWAY by how good that sounds live ! ! !
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Kids and your "Need more distortion". Things just start to sound sloppy with more distortion. What ever happen to "Less is more". I used to love outreagously over saturated tones, that was 10 years ago. Fortunately I grew out of it!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    They are pretty clean. It depends on the song I guess.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Distortion is overrated. Overdrive is where it's at.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    Distortion...overdrive.......yeah yeah

(i actually like overdrive 10000xxxx better)

but

just something, the songs that need it are lacking....Stone is playing barely overdriven as well as Ed........STONE GET THE SONIC DISTORTION BACK!!!!!!!...Ed go back on the Hiwatt!!!!......MIKE, TURN YOUR AMP UP!!! haha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonic wrote:

i think you read my sixth novel: "Distortion is Overated - Overdrive is Where it's at"

its a good read, get rid of your Boss distortions, and go pick up some tube driven stuff! woo hoo for overdrive!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    Kids and your "Need more distortion". Things just start to sound sloppy with more distortion. What ever happen to "Less is more". I used to love outreagously over saturated tones, that was 10 years ago. Fortunately I grew out of it!

I am 50% with you, but 50% against. I agree. over saturated tones are horrible, but PJ definitely need some overdrive. Their tones sound like SHIT. The only member of the band that has managed to keep an awesome tone over the years is jeff.

Eddie NEEDS to go back to his schecter/hiwatt setup like in 2000. That tone was the best he ever had, great for a rhythmic player like ed. Mike's tone was also awesome in 2000. He needs to go back to this tone or at least that of 2003. And stone's has been shit ever since 2000, but at least in 2000 it had a bit of overdrive. In 1998 stone's tone was ridiculously awesome. damn I dunno what's wrong with the guys. If they had the guitar tones like back in 98 and 2000 their live shows would be so much better, and their live shows are already the best of any band going right now.

But the gear they're usuing is not the reason (aside from ed, he really needs to lay off those fenders and pick up his hiwatt). Mike is still using the Marshall plexi he has been since the early nineties, and he also still uses the savage amp he began using in 2003. Stone is currently using a Marshall 18 watt combo which has MASSIVE tone and great overdrive, but they just don't use the gear to its potential!!! stone and mike also still have their tubescreamers on their pedal boards, but they must be turned down to 1 or 2 for God's sake. I just wish they soon realize how shitty their guitars sound and finally go back to their old tones.

although, maybe if they go back to the 98 or 2000 tones everyone in ther audience would just die because they would sound better than ANYTHING, EVER. they are so tight right now, I can only imagine how awesome they would be with good sounding guitar tones.

Matt's drumming and tone still rocks though!
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i like their 94-95 sounds quite a bit.
  • LikeLukin wrote:
    I am 50% with you, but 50% against. I agree. over saturated tones are horrible, but PJ definitely need some overdrive. Their tones sound like SHIT. The only member of the band that has managed to keep an awesome tone over the years is jeff.

Eddie NEEDS to go back to his schecter/hiwatt setup like in 2000. That tone was the best he ever had, great for a rhythmic player like ed. Mike's tone was also awesome in 2000. He needs to go back to this tone or at least that of 2003. And stone's has been shit ever since 2000, but at least in 2000 it had a bit of overdrive. In 1998 stone's tone was ridiculously awesome. damn I dunno what's wrong with the guys. If they had the guitar tones like back in 98 and 2000 their live shows would be so much better, and their live shows are already the best of any band going right now.

But the gear they're usuing is not the reason (aside from ed, he really needs to lay off those fenders and pick up his hiwatt). Mike is still using the Marshall plexi he has been since the early nineties, and he also still uses the savage amp he began using in 2003. Stone is currently using a Marshall 18 watt combo which has MASSIVE tone and great overdrive, but they just don't use the gear to its potential!!! stone and mike also still have their tubescreamers on their pedal boards, but they must be turned down to 1 or 2 for God's sake. I just wish they soon realize how shitty their guitars sound and finally go back to their old tones.

although, maybe if they go back to the 98 or 2000 tones everyone in ther audience would just die because they would sound better than ANYTHING, EVER. they are so tight right now, I can only imagine how awesome they would be with good sounding guitar tones.

But I'll give you my opinion of there live tone for sure after Friday, Saturday and Mondays shows! I thought they sounded good on letterman and saturday night live. McCready needs to come up in the mix though thats for sure, he was way down and out in the those performances.

So I will rerespond say on tuesday to this one!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

But I'll give you my opinion of there live tone for sure after Friday, Saturday and Mondays shows! I thought they sounded good on letterman and saturday night live. McCready needs to come up in the mix though thats for sure, he was way down and out in the those performances.

So I will rerespond say on tuesday to this one!!!

I also though thtey sounded good on snl and letterman, but was majorly disappointed with their tone in toronto
  • LikeLukin wrote:
    I also though thtey sounded good on snl and letterman, but was majorly disappointed with their tone in toronto

I'll let you know of my opinion this weekend!!

• enharmonic wrote:
    can't be said enough..

and when more is needed use Fuzz..

distortion sounds like SHIT.

i've NEVER heard a decent sounding disortion pedal (i've even heard Stone use distortion and i thought it sounded terrible.. luckily he does it as tasteul as possbile and RARELY...never live)

Ask Billy Corgan... he's got the opposite of Pearl Jam's guitar sound usually... which is heavy heavy heavy,.. but he uses fuzz pedals and sounds incredible.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • LikeLukin wrote:

I wouldn't say they sound like shit at all...

but I definetly agree with everything else you said.

Ed and Mike were UNBELIEVABLE on the Binaural tour...

and Stone (and Mike was awesome too for that matter) was his best on the Yield tour.

Jeff's ALWAYS solid..

94-95 is second in my book for tone,... nice and crunchy...

Ed's back on a Telecaster which i love.. like the SG.. but i have an affinity for a Tele..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Well I'm back with my opinion. 3 shows and our 8 hours worth of Pearl Jam. The problem is I'm going to have that with drawel syndrome for about a month. Cause that is it for me on this tour. Until the next time they are around.

As for the overdrive/ distortion issue. I'd have to say that 99.5321% + or - .0485%, there drive level is about perfect. But I'll agree on DTE that there wasn't enough. Other than that there was very few moments where I thought they needed more.

Just my opinon of course, to each its own.

Now out of the three of them I've never really been crazy about eddies tone ever. Always to harsh for me. But in all it still all sounded good!!!

Well I'm back with my opinion. 3 shows and our 8 hours worth of Pearl Jam. The problem is I'm going to have that with drawel syndrome for about a month. Cause that is it for me on this tour. Until the next time they are around.

As for the overdrive/ distortion issue. I'd have to say that 99.5321% + or - .0485%, there drive level is about perfect. But I'll agree on DTE that there wasn't enough. Other than that there was very few moments where I thought they needed more.

Just my opinon of course, to each its own.

Now out of the three of them I've never really been crazy about eddies tone ever. Always to harsh for me. But in all it still all sounded good!!!

that's cool. maybe they cranked up the gain abit since toronto? maybe it is just your opinion, but i really thought they were weak on it for a lot of songs.

did you find that the guitars weren't clear or audible enough though?? it's like the amps weren't cranked enough in toronto. when the techs were soundchecking before the show, you could barely hear the guitars. usually you should be able to hear the amps pretty good on their own. i think that was a lot of the problem. and it's not because of the shitty acoustics of the stadium because MMJ's guitars sounded deadly.
  • yenraekyenraek Posts: 21
    Distortion...overdrive.......yeah yeah

(i actually like overdrive 10000xxxx better)

but

just something, the songs that need it are lacking....Stone is playing barely overdriven as well as Ed........STONE GET THE SONIC DISTORTION BACK!!!!!!!...Ed go back on the Hiwatt!!!!......MIKE, TURN YOUR AMP UP!!! haha

i think stone stil has the sd-9
    A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
    Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now

MY BAND!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbxAIop_HY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a1Ay1BUXXQ&search=stiletto%20

jay_2_the_kay@hotmail.com
  • LikeLukin wrote:
    that's cool. maybe they cranked up the gain abit since toronto? maybe it is just your opinion, but i really thought they were weak on it for a lot of songs.

did you find that the guitars weren't clear or audible enough though?? it's like the amps weren't cranked enough in toronto. when the techs were soundchecking before the show, you could barely hear the guitars. usually you should be able to hear the amps pretty good on their own. i think that was a lot of the problem. and it's not because of the shitty acoustics of the stadium because MMJ's guitars sounded deadly.

The less the stage volume the better. I think the hard pan between Stone and Mike, might not be such a positive thing.

Remember if you want to hear a perfect mix, you better be standing back @ the board, thats where its all mixed from.

Its all good