Acoustic Covers

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I was playing acoustic for a while, haven't played acoustic for a while now.

I started playing some stuff that I usually play on electric and I got thinking...I wonder how this stuff would sound acoustic!! I played some songs and made some modifications to make it sound good acoustic.

I came out with a list of stuff I am going to try to cover acoustic. Maybe get an acoustic band together to do it. I might have a few rough sound clips of myself playing the stuff on guitar.

Do The Evolution
Baba O'Riley
I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor (Arctic Monkeys - the intro will be tough)
Big Me (Foo Fighters)
Trampled Under Foot (Led Zeppelin - going to be really hard to do on acoustic)
Plug In Baby (Muse)
Breakerfall
Life Wasted
Save You (this sounds really good)

I'm probably going to do DTE and Baba first to see how they turn out...

Cool project though :)
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Good luck! I was playing a slow acoustic DTE the other day actually.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Good luck! I was playing a slow acoustic DTE the other day actually.

it sounds great don't it?
    If you play it slow and then do the "stone part"...the dananana dananana dananana nanana danana naaaa....that part...but if you play the actuall chords, it sounds fantastic (F, F, Am, C)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    It does... I was at a friends and I was just jammin it. I prefer it with more of a blues feel.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    plug in baby would be extremely cool if it worked out.
  • exhausted wrote:
    plug in baby would be extremely cool if it worked out.

Yeah I'm excited to work on that. I want to learn "my" guitar parts and then jam with a band and do an acoustic little thing. Maybe like an unplugged type of thing but with songs that would be different to play on acoustic.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Good Call HHV,

I love playin' stuff on the acoustic that normally isn't played.....it's always really cool and you can almost make it your own.

I play a really slowed down version of Rockin' In The Free World with some different chords......

It's like:

Em7 D Cadd9

G D Cadd9 Em7.

I don't know if that chords actually called Em7.....it's when you play a normal Em and your bottom 2 fingers are on the 3rd fret (B/e). :o

Anyways,

It's cool though....

Get some sound clips up if you can :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i play RITFW up 2 and a half steps and use Am, G, F etc. totally changes it, plus i can sing in a lower register.
  • Save You (maybe slowed down),... Unemployable sounds GORGEOUS acoustic,... Obvious ones like All or None need to be played,.. MFC,.. Light Years,... Given To Fly,... Last Exit would work,... Garden,... etc etc..

:)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Nate UKNate UK Posts: 13
    i do an acoustic version of baba o reilly.... its wicked..... sometimes use an open E tuning. corduroy is another one that works well like that, i just play ed's guitar part. RITFW is an old classic, cortez the killer is my fave neil song to do acoustic, dropped, with harmonica ...... very nice!!!!

My girl do a wicked version of eternal life acoustic...... she sings buckley, what a girl!!!!
  • good lord, there's another human being who can sing Jeff Buckley?!

"Make our day"
  • Save You (maybe slowed down),... Unemployable sounds GORGEOUS acoustic,... Obvious ones like All or None need to be played,.. MFC,.. Light Years,... Given To Fly,... Last Exit would work,... Garden,... etc etc..

:)

Save You sounds amazing....damnit I don't have my acoustic with me otherwise I would record and send...this weekend I'll record Save You and send it....and yes its slowed down a little

and yeah Baba sounds pretty nice with an acoustic...i got an acoustic now which is a Washburn that was just sitting at my moms house that I found...and its great, the action is extremly low and the sound is just so rich and full I love it...the neck is thin as well
  • Save You sounds amazing....damnit I don't have my acoustic with me otherwise I would record and send...this weekend I'll record Save You and send it....and yes its slowed down a little

and yeah Baba sounds pretty nice with an acoustic...i got an acoustic now which is a Washburn that was just sitting at my moms house that I found...and its great, the action is extremly low and the sound is just so rich and full I love it...the neck is thin as well
    Awesome.

Seriously, try Unemployable :cool:

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Save You sounds amazing....damnit I don't have my acoustic with me otherwise I would record and send...this weekend I'll record Save You and send it....and yes its slowed down a little

That would be cool to hear. I'm looking forward to it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Awesome.

Seriously, try Unemployable :cool:

i lost my capo :(

i need to go get a new tuner anyway so maybe ill go tonite or tomorrow
  • i lost my capo :(

i need to go get a new tuner anyway so maybe ill go tonite or tomorrow
    ah you definetly should!

esp. if you plan on playing the avocado at all :p

"Make our day"
  • ah you definetly should!

esp. if you plan on playing the avocado at all :p

pretty much....its amazing how they basically never used a capo (except for like a couple of songs) and then on this new record they use a capo for like 3 or 4 songs
  • Yeah i know, they threw us a curveball there.

Whats your favorite song to play so far? (not to get the thread off track ;) )

Unemployable's probably mine.. with 2 people Life Wasted is fun..

Big Wave is fun too but i need to get the end down.

I have a habit of learning songs and forgetting weird parts, but being too lazy to actually look them up.. i probably lay it on a little too heavy with the surfer slides too :cool:

"Make our day"
  • Yeah i know, they threw us a curveball there.

Whats your favorite song to play so far? (not to get the thread off track ;) )

Unemployable's probably mine.. with 2 people Life Wasted is fun..

Big Wave is fun too but i need to get the end down.

I have a habit of learning songs and forgetting weird parts, but being too lazy to actually look them up.. i probably lay it on a little too heavy with the surfer slides too :cool:

off the new album?

severed hand has really got me enjoying it....comatose gets boring after a while although it's one of my favorites on the album....

I really like gone too
  • off the new album?

severed hand has really got me enjoying it....comatose gets boring after a while although it's one of my favorites on the album....

I really like gone too
    yeah comatose did get a little stale to play after a few weeks.

i still enjoy it though.

Gone's fun but i've been playing that since october :p

"Make our day"
    I'm gunna say Come Back, Gone or Inside Job :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    I'm liking Come Back... Means a lot to me because of a friend of mine.
  • im gonna say unemployable

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • forgot to add...

the reason why you dont think Save You will sound good is because your not playing it different ;)
  • forgot to add...

the reason why you dont think Save You will sound good is because your not playing it different ;)
    who doesn't think it would sound good?

"Make our day"
  • got a new capo...i think marker in the sand is my favorite song to play, its such a bitch though
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Wishlist sounds great acousticly and slow as well(evenif its already kinda slow). believe it or not alive sounds preety good as well.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    believe it or not alive sounds preety good as well.

Great call!!

It does man....with 2 guitars!!

Me and my buddy play it all the time....along with I Am Mine.

.NJD.
  • Well my mom didn't come visit me and bring my acoustic but I'll be there Wed and I will record :D
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Great call!!

It does man....with 2 guitars!!

Me and my buddy play it all the time....along with I Am Mine.

seriously? my friend and i do the same thing for most gigs as well. how do you tune it? we play ours a little bit dropped down and slower
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    seriously? my friend and i do the same thing for most gigs as well. how do you tune it? we play ours a little bit dropped down and slower

Nice!

We actually just play it the normally.......

It sounds really cool though :)

.NJD.