Just another thing for those looking for amps...

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Last night I filled in for a band to play guitar. I only played backup but it was still cool, I knew all the songs already so thats why they got me...I had 2 solos for the night.

It was kind of hard to play because I had a procedure done on Wednesday and the area where they put the IV in my arm was killing me all night but I got through it

Anyway...

After the show, I had about 7 guitarists coming up to me saying they were in love with my tone especially the my clean tone (amp) and hard distortion tone (Fulltone OCD)...I used mild overdrive with the amp and bd-2

The people I talked to, I told them basically that my amp is the reason everything sounds amazing, and when I told them Traynor YCV40WR, they had never heard of Traynor...guess now they do ;)

I played the show with my strat the whole knight because my SG is in getting fixed...but just another little note about a traynor ;)...I know i rave about them but just a little more feedback

on another note

i am treating myself for thanksgiving with a pedal...so I will let you guys all in, in about a week

doesn't look like the deluxe ash strat is coming my way, after having to get my SG fixed and a few bills...its going to take a few more months....
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I bought my Traynor, and couldn't be happier. Needs a retube though...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i kinda wish i'd picked up one of those limited 15W blue tolex ones. oh well.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I still want to check out an OCD.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I still want to check out an OCD.

I concur.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like my OCD again. set for sort of mid-gain and sounds great with the gibsons. i stick to the BD-2 with the fenders for the most part.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Thinking about getting a YCV40 way down the line whenever I can afford a tube amp. Is it really useful to have the separate EQ for the clean/distortion channels?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Thinking about getting a YCV40 way down the line whenever I can afford a tube amp. Is it really useful to have the separate EQ for the clean/distortion channels?

Yes it is. I bought the 80 Watt version, and set both controls differently.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i had never heard of traynor until i got on this forum. i read all the nice things being said then did some research and found tons of awesome reviews. they might be the best kept secret in amps. i have looked for one in shops around here but havent found any although i refuse to go to guitar center, i might have to just to play one. 40 watts is too much for me right now, since i play in what is essentially an oversized closet. someday though...
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    sorry to hear you didnt get enough cash for the strat tho :(
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • exhausted wrote:
    i like my OCD again. set for sort of mid-gain and sounds great with the gibsons. i stick to the BD-2 with the fenders for the most part.

I basically do the same thing...but during the show when I hit the OCD and turned the bass up a bit more for the Strat, it made my strat have some serious balls, sounded great

But yeah, I keep the BD-2 for my strat and OCD for my SG...at loud volumes I don't put the gain on the OCD past noon or 1 o'clock and that is only for hard songs..the only times i put it past to about 3 oclock is when i put the tone up a little and get a nice little fuzz sound out of it...but for nice regular overdrive sounds, I keep it at about 10 oclock

Paco, I got my OCD off ebay for 110$ and it was only 4 months old, which is basically a big score...if you want, since I am without my SG for a week or 2, I can send the OCD down to you if u want to try it out, I trust that you would send it back

And yeah the 15-watt Blue...i wish I could have picked one of those up to try out...the 15watt YCV's aren't nearly as great as the 40watts
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore