A good acoustic amp,.....

mendicant_1mendicant_1 Posts: 39
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i've been looking for a while at a good acoustic amp,...and i'm still debating,...i was looking at the swr strawberry blonde,. but i've seen some poor reviews on it,...then i was thinking of up grading to the california blonde,...i'd like hte higher wattage so i can use it practice,...but every club we play mics the amps anyways,...so maybe i should just buy a smaller wattage amp and a decent instrument mic and just mic it in practice,...what do you think?
Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I would NOT recommend mic'ing an acoustic amp. Most acoustic amps should have a direct XLR output that can connect straight to the mixer. Acoustic amps use a woofer and tweeter to cover the broad frequency range of an acoustic guitar, and a mic cannot pick up and transmit both drivers with any real fidelity.

Just to weigh in with an alternative suggestion, get an Aphex Acoustic Exciter and a Mackie SRM 450. The Aphex works as a pre-amp, and the Mackie is a power amp and speaker. Should be plenty loud for practices and stage-volume. The speaker can also be laid on it's side pointed up like a floor monitor. I use the Mackie all the time, and they are very robust, very tough, and have EXCELLENT sound. Exhausted can speak about the quality of the Aphex unit.

You would plug into the Aphex, then plug an XLR into the Aphex into the Mackie, and then can run a parallel output from the Mackie into a mixer at a show.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like the SWR California Blonde quite a bit. Stone also used it on the 2000 tour for the acoustic bridge on his Hamer Duotone. You can see it clearly on stage behind him right next to a Peavy Delta Blues, up there for I don't really know what reason, Most of the electric sound went through that glorious Savage.

Equally good are probably the Trace Elliot's and I've never heard it but Marshall makes one too I believe.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    IMO, the best dedicated acoustic amps are Trace Elliot and Genz Benz.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.