USB turntable – is worth it?

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
If I buy one and put all pj vinyls on my computer with it, will Avocado sound better on my ipod?
Or is this one of my half assed attempts to get around the shitty sound quality of Avocado? Hehehehe

(sorry if this is in the wrong category)
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No, becasue the shitty sound quality is coming from your ipod.
    PLug that ipod into a quality hifi and be shocked a the difference. The wee amplifier and bud earphones are NOT quality playback gear.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • na, don't think so.
    i have nice big sony speaks i use to play music on.

my question was will a mp3 from a vinyl sound better than a mp3 from a cd?

• na, don't think so.
    i have nice big sony speaks i use to play music on.

Depends on what rate it was imported at... And how it was mastered.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • well yeah, i understand that much.

has anybody done it at the highest/best settings? does the music sound better?

is the compression rate pretty much as CD to mp3?

• somehow I doubt the vinyl conversion is going to sound better than a CD.
    the sound is going to have to be digitized and compressed and the software that you're going to be doing that with will not be up to par with the software the recording studio used to create their digital files.

The frequencies that a vinyl record has that a CD does not will be lost in your conversion anyway.

But- it still may sound "different" to your ears and perhaps your ears can trick your brain into thinking it sounds better to your ears and if that's the case then go for it.
  • thanks ezyrydr!

• I agree with EZYrydr

I can tell the difference between the Ipod and a CD through a good system pretty easily. It's harder to tell the diff between the CD and the Ipod with Lossless, though.
    My neighbors and I DID record a bunch of vinyl at a good bitrate and you can't really tell the diff between the uploaded vinyl and a CD. In some cases the CD's were better because they were mastered as CD's, and you're taking something mastered for analog vinyl and changing it to digital.

Haha, well, whatever that thesis means!

The turntable is great, though, if you have a bunch of old records like me, and want to get them into the Ipod without buying the CD's. It's a pain taking a turntable in the car! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Yeah, but that system is probably still a limiting system compared to something really decent. You have to hear the difference to appreciate it. Even my cloth-eared wife realised this eventually.
    In any event, the ipod is still the weakest link in the chain, and you won't change that by using vinyl.
    Vinyl has other uses. I use it for nostalgia and other sensory reasons apart form the sound.
    Speakers are the most important thing in audio, followed by amp, with source being least important.
    THe biggest losses occur during the digital/analogue/digital/analogue conversion that occurs multiple times in complex audio systems.
    Which is one reason why my el cheapo tube amp sounds so good. There is no conversion at all. Pure analogue all the way baby !!
  • i still might buy one.......
    for my mom at christmas.
    for her albums.
    she kept her albums, but got rid of her turntable.......go figure.

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i still might buy one.......
    for my mom at christmas.
    for her albums.

Get a decent one that you can put a better needle and tone arm on and it will help the sound quality out quite a bit.

check out http://www.needledoctor.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks for the advice. :)

• TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,391
    If I buy one and put all pj vinyls on my computer with it, will Avocado sound better on my ipod?

The fact of the matter is that you're still digitizing an analog signal. A digital signal only samples an analog signal, which is why vinyl sounds much fuller than CD.
  • i still might buy one.......
    for my mom at christmas.
    for her albums.

Yeah, turntables are cool.
    Your Mum kept her albums from nostalgia, the same reason I recently bought a new turntable and starting buying vinyl again. Her turntable probably carked it.
    I got a Rega P1 which is a nice entry level but good quality turntable.

On the subject of the Avocado. I play that on CD through my tube amp and a basic set of speakers, and the clarity and separation are amazing. I have no issue with "shitty sound". Having said that, it is probably compressed to hell, everything else is these days, so it is easy for it to sound like mud.
    Seriously, if you have good speakers, and you want to really boost yuor listening pleasure, get a tube hi-fi amp. Mine is an el-cheapo Chinese jobby, but the great thing is, tube amps are primitive technology, and Class A amps are the simplest things electronically and unchanged for decades, so it works just fine. Mine is rated at 15 watts, which does not sound much, but it's plenty, trust me. It won't run a massive surround sound system, but it's not for that. It's a quality thing, like chocolate and lingerie !!
    Like turntables, you can spend a fortune on the ultimate set-up, but spending a little will get you most of the way. Then plug that ipod in with a lead with a 1/8" jack on one end and a set of RCA connectors on the other.
  • start at local thrift store... pure for spinning vinyl... then move to USB... try old equipment first to hear the sheer beauty of vinyl
  • I dont use a usb one, but my normal record player sounds awesome with rips
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • dont waste your time... i have one of them and its a pain in the ass even getting all the songs onto the computer... sound quality isnt any better... if anything its worse cause you get a little bit of that crackly vinyl sound
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/