XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok i'm new to guitar playing I got myself a Squier (I know, not the best) to start out. My question is how long did it take you guys and gals to get comfortable moving your fret hand around to different chords? Did you get alot of buzzing or rattling when you first started? Is it normal for that to happen? Right now i've been playing Black along with a Pj live show and the timing is just a little tough to get playing the chords, i'm sure after alot of practice i'll eventually get it down.

Anyone in the Boston (north shore area) that can direct me to a good teacher?

thanks
How I choose to feel is how I am.

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Xboxjunkie wrote:
    Ok i'm new to guitar playing I got myself a Squier (I know, not the best) to start out. My question is how long did it take you guys and gals to get comfortable moving your fret hand around to different chords? Did you get alot of buzzing or rattling when you first started? Is it normal for that to happen? Right now i've been playing Black along with a Pj live show and the timing is just a little tough to get playing the chords, i'm sure after alot of practice i'll eventually get it down.

Anyone in the Boston (north shore area) that can direct me to a good teacher?

thanks

I had a Squier as my first guitar and it was perfect for me for a few years. I have since outgrown it, but I can't bear to part w/ it.

Just keep practicing. Get real comfortable going between a couple of chords (1 2 3 4 next chord 1 2 3 4 next chord 1 2 3 4). and once you get a good sound down pat, try adding in a third chord. G and D are good ones to start off with, then try throwing in A or E or C.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    i started out on Acoustics for about 3 years before i played electric Guitars, this helped me build the strength needed to play for hours on end. i would say the Buzzing & Rattling is pretty normal in the beggining stages of learning.
    you are right, practice is the key. good that you play along to stuff to get the timing down too. keep it up & you will be rockin in no time.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Man, i was buzzing and rattling for months on my acoustic. As long as you know where you're going wrong (i.e fingers aren't straight up to the frets, or haven't got used to the workout) then you can improve on it.

Without your video playing, strum through 'Black', trying to hit every chord mint. Your timing will suffer in this sort of practise but when you slap you vid back on to play, you will remember how you made those chords sound sweet....ok so you will still hit bum strings but you will improve. Sometimes playing with a 'backing track' can rush you a bit. Try and mix it up, sometimes play solo, others play with the video.

Good luck.
  • The first month or 2 months, all you will do is buzz with chords, takes the 2 months to stop the buzzing and if you practice after the 2 months you will be able to switch chords easily

although it is my least favorite zeppelin song...im learning the solo for dazed and confused, now try that one! fuckin hard
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Jimmy does some mad shit on D & C with the tuners, did you try that? i love the solo on that tune, I dare not attemp it...............
  • UNDONE*21UNDONE*21 Posts: 207
    I would have loved to have a squier as my first guitar. They are perfect for beginners.
    Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding allllll thought.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    im new and learning too, but im still on single string lessons, although i know a few chords i havent really started practising with them yet. with my limited single string skills though i can almost play the whole lead to 'indifference' it isn't too hard. what chord songs are good for learning guitarists to play? are rockin in freeworld, elderly woman, last kiss suitable? what others are easy? RVM doesn's seem too hard but i cant do eddie's riff fast enough yet

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Pappas wrote:
    im new and learning too, but im still on single string lessons, although i know a few chords i havent really started practising with them yet. with my limited single string skills though i can almost play the whole lead to 'indifference' it isn't too hard. what chord songs are good for learning guitarists to play? are rockin in freeworld, elderly woman, last kiss suitable? what others are easy? RVM doesn's seem too hard but i cant do eddie's riff fast enough yet

Learn 'Indiiference' chords, real easy. 'black' can be easy if you play the simplified version. 'Elderly woman....' is easy.

Start learning ALL the major chords man, ABCDEFG. B and F are a little difficult because they are barres but once you know all them of by heart, you're rolling.

peace
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Squidge wrote:
    Learn 'Indiiference' chords, real easy. 'black' can be easy if you play the simplified version. 'Elderly woman....' is easy.

Start learning ALL the major chords man, ABCDEFG. B and F are a little difficult because they are barres but once you know all them of by heart, you're rolling.

peace

There are ways around barring F in the traditional power chord sense. You can just play:

xx3211

Technically that's also a barre, but it acts more like an open chord that way.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I think I started playing differently then you guys.

I started playing by listening to music and sorting out which frets on the guitar made which note. I did this for quite a long time. I learned Secret Agent Man and played that a lot. I moved on past that to a bunch of Matthew Good Band songs.

At this point I discovered tab!

Since I was used to looking down and seeing that such a fret on such a string played such and such a note, this was perfect for me.

I just kept at it. Worked at it for 4 hours a day. Kept working and working until I no longer had the buzz with the chords, built up hand strength and learned the basic chord names and notes.

I remember someone bought me a Metallica songbook with CD for Christmas when I was in grade 9. This book had a lot of Hammet solos. I learned the patterns that he played and practised them for a very long time, eventually pieceing all the parts together and creating solos.

Shortly after I heard 10 for the first time, I went out and bought the tab book. I was hard for me at the time.

The first song I tried was Black. Since I spent most of my time learning Metallica solos, this was a real challenge. I was having trouble baring the chords, but eventually it came with practise. The feel came after I played it a lot. I tried jamming with the CD, but it rushed me and I'd screw up a lot. So I went back to jamming it by myself. Eventually, I could play it with improvised leads.

So I guess you could say that the first Pearl Jam song I learned was Black. :)
  • You just need to practice switching between the open chords at first, ie E, A, G, D, C. Once you can switch between those comfortably, there are about a billion songs that use just those chords, like Elderly Woman. Then comes the barre chords. And those can be pretty tough at first and you will undoubtedly get a lot of buzzing. Practice doing an F barre chord off of the 6th string. Then practice doing a B barre chord off of the 5th string. The key is the sound and clarity of your chord. Concentrate on making it sound good first and take your time switching between chords. The sound is the most important thing in music, right? Speed will come with time.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
    You just need to practice switching between the open chords at first, ie E, A, G, D, C. Once you can switch between those comfortably, there are about a billion songs that use just those chords, like Elderly Woman. Then comes the barre chords. And those can be pretty tough at first and you will undoubtedly get a lot of buzzing. Practice doing an F barre chord off of the 6th string. Then practice doing a B barre chord off of the 5th string. The key is the sound and clarity of your chord. Concentrate on making it sound good first and take your time switching between chords. The sound is the most important thing in music, right? Speed will come with time.

dam right, fast is a natural progression from slow.