XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Please fill me in guys! I have a fender 15G and Squier. Thanks
How I choose to feel is how I am.

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Xboxjunkie wrote:
    Please fill me in guys! I have a fender 15G and Squier. Thanks

maybe a cheap distortion/sustain pedal so you don't have to change amp channels with your hands, other than that, go to the store play with stuff, figure out what they do, listen to clips on the internet of different effects. Right now, your money is better saved and spent on upgrading your primary equipment. You won't be very pleased with the quality of sound of most effects through the 15G. It's not a bad amp or guitar or anything, it's just the nature of effects. They are like icing. Flange, Phase, Delay other modulation is very fun but the money you spend for the use you get out of most dosen't usually equate especially early on.

Boosts, Distortions, Overdrives, Fuzzes and Compressors are the most commonly used effects.

My first pedal, and maybe a good option for your first is a Wah. Because it's fun and there are several different tones to play with. It's like a new instrument.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    maybe a cheap distortion/sustain pedal so you don't have to change amp channels with your hands, other than that, go to the store play with stuff, figure out what they do, listen to clips on the internet of different effects. Right now, your money is better saved and spent on upgrading your primary equipment. You won't be very pleased with the quality of sound of most effects through the 15G. It's not a bad amp or guitar or anything, it's just the nature of effects. They are like icing.

I got to learn alot more before I upgrade!
    How I choose to feel is how I am.

There is nothing worse than having a lot of gear to compensate for playing.

Practise, then buy. :)
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    maybe a cheap distortion/sustain pedal so you don't have to change amp channels with your hands, other than that, go to the store play with stuff, figure out what they do, listen to clips on the internet of different effects. Right now, your money is better saved and spent on upgrading your primary equipment. You won't be very pleased with the quality of sound of most effects through the 15G. It's not a bad amp or guitar or anything, it's just the nature of effects. They are like icing. Flange, Phase, Delay other modulation is very fun but the money you spend for the use you get out of most dosen't usually equate especially early on.

Boosts, Distortions, Overdrives, Fuzzes and Compressors are the most commonly used effects.

My first pedal, and maybe a good option for your first is a Wah. Because it's fun and there are several different tones to play with. It's like a new instrument.

Pac knows all... go the Wah... it was my first pedal too. Its great because many effects have a only subtle effect on your sound... the wah can make an ordinary solo into something interesting... delays are cool too.
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Distortion or overdrive is a good choice. If you know you are gonna stick with it buy a good one. The longer you play with pedals the better you get to know and can use them better. Stay away from multi-effects pedals.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Practise first, gear later.

There is nothing worse than having a lot of gear to compensate for playing.

Practise, then buy. :)

I'm down with Frank on this one: practice first, when you develop a bit of style, then you'll know what you need to enhance your sound. i would just consentrate on your playing and sheer Volume.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • "There is nothing worse than having a lot of gear to compensate for playing."

Great, thanks for telling me 2 years too late, jerk!

:)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    the only advice i'd give would be stick to stompboxes and steer clear of those all in one digital effects boards.individual effects are more expensive but you'll find they sound so much better;)my first pedal was a wah too i dont think you can go wrong with one of those dude
    Cornell pwns u
  • I think metal god may be right in that a wah pedal is something you can really play with and have fun with. It'll get you to pick up your guitar more often.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • None!

Let your fingers do the talking!

Then after you get the hang of things later, get a tremolo, for suttle use!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • get a nice fuzz, overdrive, or distortion.

Wahwah.. cant go wrong.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Beginner's should really keep things simple and learn to play the right way. Get a good distortion pedal like boss or ibanez so that you don't too bored but stick with learning for now. You'll sound tons better in the long run. Good luck.
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I have a Zoom 510 DualPower Driver. Has 2 switches and prob. almost 100 effects built in it. Digitechs are also nice for novice like you or me.
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • EDIT Made a mistake
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!