PJ's Distortions

tonedef47tonedef47 Posts: 7
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey,

I've heard may things about the distortion stone and mike use. If anyone knows and could tell me that be great.

Thanks,

Marty

Eddie Vedder is my idol
Eddie Vedder is my idol.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Marty check out http://www.giventowail.com and look in the gear section. They've used several.

Stone's primary rig usually contains, an old Ibanez TS-9 (tube screamer) and an Ibanez SD-9 (super distortion)

Mike uses a TS-808 (the original tube screamer) among others certainly TS-9's at some point. Currently he's added a custom Greedtone distortion.

you might also check this page out.

http://www.fulltone.com/artframe.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    The TS-9 Tubescreamer is awesome!!!! I recomend everyone get one...it is by far my favorite pedal...it really adds alot....

Anyway...just my thoughts...great pedal....:)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by onejourney
    The TS-9 Tubescreamer is awesome!!!! I recomend everyone get one...it is by far my favorite pedal...it really adds alot....

Anyway...just my thoughts...great pedal....:)

Everyone should have a good overdrive, but the TS-9 isn't the right one for everyone. The Shannon has gotten some great reviews from everyone who's tried one (and man, I wish I could, too)... then there's the mod versions from Keeley and Analog Man. Everyone and their pet monkey has a boutique copy of the damn curcuit, and you can get the original from the original manufacturer (Maxon). But the most interesting "TS-9 with a twist" that I've found is this one, referred by Paco:

http://www.lovepedal.com/eternitysquare.htm

I just love that line, "NO GOOFY MID HUMP.THIS IS NOT A TS9/808 CLONE, THANK GOD!" I kinda like the mid hump in the TS-9, but I like the idea that someone is willing to make a good overdrive that doesn't have it, since everyone else does. Of course, with the Shannon, you can get either symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping, which gives you a similar option. Now if the punk who designed it would just put a flip-switch for that function outside the box and mount the jacks to the case, not the board...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • [ Now if the punk who designed it would just put a flip-switch for that function outside the box and mount the jacks to the case, not the board... [/B][/quote]

MINE has a flip switch on the outside with a hand written A & S so I don't get cornfused. and I love this pedal!
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Everyone should have a good overdrive, but the TS-9 isn't the right one for everyone. The Shannon has gotten some great reviews from everyone who's tried one (and man, I wish I could, too)... then there's the mod versions from Keeley and Analog Man. Everyone and their pet monkey has a boutique copy of the damn curcuit, and you can get the original from the original manufacturer (Maxon). But the most interesting "TS-9 with a twist" that I've found is this one, referred by Paco:

http://www.lovepedal.com/eternitysquare.htm

yeah man, that one and this one The Baby Blue Overdrive from BJF are really similar. More amplike sound than the standard tubescreamer.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.filereader?409e7ece016c2e3e27410a00090305a9+EN/products/12001
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    "...world who suffer the "I have good tone when I play loud, but I get kicked out of clubs and bands"-syndrome"

thats me, ! i should look into this pedal a bit i think...sounds wonderful...
    Originally posted by 62strat
    "...world who suffer the "I have good tone when I play loud, but I get kicked out of clubs and bands"-syndrome"

thats me, ! i should look into this pedal a bit i think...sounds wonderful...

yeah BJF is aparently the dogs balls in Europe. Those Mad Professor amps are incredible and so is the pricetag $5,100.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    what do you like better the bjf or the love pedal?

i dot have speakers at work here, what are these comparable too?

i suppose im really satisfied with my tone..

but does the bjf really help that lower volume push alot, more so than what im doing with my tsdx??
    It's hard to say man and really without actual experience with either I can't honestly tell you either way. I can tell you that my own overdrive (Barber) combined with my Keeley Rat does just that and exceptionally well through my Orange.

The BJF and the Love Pedal are more natural sounding than your usual tubescreamer, think of your TS9DX on Clean Boost (volume cranked to the hilt gain rolled back all the way off subtract the middle and add much better bass response and treble, this is essentially what they do. Basically the whole concept of an overdrive pedal is to lower the volume necessary to achieve overdrive. I really can't comment which I like better untill I can touch/hold and play with each side by side but both are outstanding.

If you are in that market you might also look at the zvex Super Hard On and the Fulltone Fatboost. Both are clean boosts. They add Sparkle and Body. It's not so much a pedal as it is an extention of the preamp.

Basically, you know how your tone goes away as the volume gets turned down? These types of pedals eliminate that problem.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    So here comes a incredibly stupid question I've been wanting to ask for ages... what's the difference between stomping on a clean boost and turning op the volume of your amp? Except for flexibility.

Forgive my ignorance, I just never understood the concept. Take it out on me. :D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    Originally posted by pariah
    So here comes a incredibly stupid question I've been wanting to ask for ages... what's the difference between stomping on a clean boost and turning op the volume of your amp? Except for flexibility.

Forgive my ignorance, I just never understood the concept. Take it out on me. :D

At it's best nothing except total output volume. It makes the sound bigger at lower volumes because essentially it takes the signal from the pickups and puts balls on it. I can't really say it any other way.

technically Fletcher and Munson describe better. http://www.webervst.com

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

The clean boost to me at it's purest should be viewed as an extention of the amplifiers own preamp (as all pedals are in reality but a good clean boost dosen't sound like a pedal it sound's like you've added a gain stage to the preamp.
    I'm beginning to suspect that volume is not boosted with a clean boost. Erm... that's what I thought. For years. I guess I'll just sit in a corner and go be ashamed. :o

THanks for making that clear, anyway.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    I'm beginning to suspect that volume is not boosted with a clean boost. Erm... that's what I thought. For years. I guess I'll just sit in a corner and go be ashamed. :o

THanks for making that clear, anyway.

no need to be ashamed you are actually correct. volume is boosted with a clean boost. Supposedly only volume (tubescreamers add a warm mid character to the sound) depends on the amp as to what you do with that volume. Amps with Master volumes can control that volume. Clean Boosting is supposed to boost the overall output without changing the tone. The sound however remains when you lower the over all output with the master volume. Clean Boosts add shitloads of volume but they also add body making the sound full and rich (SRV) You control the output with the Master volume on your amp with a master volume amp. I leave it on all the time as an extention of my clean channel.
    One educating night this is. Thanks a lot dude :)
    One educating night this is. Thanks a lot dude :)

happy to. the only way to find out is to ask. Some will work better with your setup than others.
  • DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
    does anyone know what the "Greedtone" distortion Mike McCready has is?

Also, for those who already have the Benaroya CD - is Mike using the Greedtone for his killer distortion? It almost sounds like a fuzz.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done